PDA

View Full Version : e30 suspensio set-up

johnoz
01-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Bilstein Sport shocks/struts
Eibach springs

Is this a good combo? Anybody bought anything from shox.com and shipped to ontario?
did you pay gst/pst and courier brokarage fee?

Thanks

BMW BMXer
01-18-2004, 04:05 AM
Its a decent combo. I have it, I like it.

Mystikal
01-18-2004, 06:01 PM
It's the middle road of E30 setups. Good quality, good ride comfort, decent rates, nice raked appearance. I say go for it.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
It's the middle road of E30 setups. Good quality, good ride comfort, decent rates, nice raked appearance. I say go for it.

is OBX under this set up? :rolleyes: because its "too soft" lol

Mystikal
01-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
is OBX under this set up? :rolleyes: because its "too soft" lol

Your suspension sucks. Get over it. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/squintfinger.gif

Jon@Bimmersport
01-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Your suspension sucks. Get over it. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/squintfinger.gif

its better than stock! *th-up*

Mystikal
01-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
its better than stock! *th-up*

Too bad the rest of your car isn't.

jeremy
01-18-2004, 06:28 PM
i'm running the bilstein sports with eibach springs now....i think it's a great setup ! i will be switching to the obx in the spring...

Jon@Bimmersport
01-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Too bad the rest of your car isn't.

your car isnt stock either ! i dont get it lol

johnoz
01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
OK. What is this OBX set-up you guys talking about? Is oit coilover etc? How much do they run for? Since I am there I might as well learn more.

notmpowered
01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
If you want coilovers get ground control, fk , kw, or something of the sort. I've been in an e30 with eibachs and bilsteins, stiffer than the b+g i had, but way softer than the fk i have now. If you want a better than stock but still comfortable set up the eibachs are a good choice. OBX is a coilover but it is made for the e36 then modified to fit e30

Jon@Bimmersport
01-18-2004, 09:17 PM
i got my coilovers for $220, and like $80 install so 300 installed. they arent as soft as ppl think, from #'s ppl say they are. but really...why would u want really stiff for the streets of toronto? our roads SUCK..and if u have too stiff u run the risk of skidding out in the rain, and hopping if u go around corners...remember, you may have soft coilover rates..but what about when u do all the bushings to urethane? roll cage? sways? it stiffens everything up...and then u got stiff ass springs...wats the point? its not like your going hot lapping around toronto.

cheffy
01-18-2004, 09:42 PM
e46_lover, where did you get e46 coilovers for 220 ?!??!!

notmpowered
01-18-2004, 10:20 PM
They are not e46 coil overs, they are on his e30. Where in gods name installed them for 80 bucks? If I could get them done for that cheap i wouldnt bother doing it myself.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-18-2004, 10:30 PM
from bimmersport..it was $80 for that cuz he discounted me, cuz i had a whole bunch of other shit installed at the same time....

BMW BMXer
01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
80bucks is still mroe than I would pay to install springs. Its not so hard.

Jon you said yourself my front end felt stiffer than yours in my drvieway. Dingus.

Mystikal
01-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Jon you said yourself my front end felt stiffer than yours in my drvieway. Dingus.

Hahaha, owned by his own words. And wasn't your setup actually used before it was mounted on your car? Stupid Jon.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
80bucks is still mroe than I would pay to install springs. Its not so hard.

look what shocks i have? bilstein sports are stiffer than tokico...plus, that was with my coilovers in the front lower than the back...now that my car is level and even..it feels way better, so we'll compare again

$80 is good because its more than springs, its a coilover system which u need to cut and weld stuff...rather than using a spring compressor and putting it in the shock, and back in the car...

BMW BMXer
01-19-2004, 02:26 AM
I doubt the front and rear being the same height would make a differeance. But lets compare. I dont really care either way but hey.

Jay shouldnt even talk being stock height :D

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 02:32 AM
yes it does..there can be more weight transfered to one side...affecting the other sides stiffness etc

notmpowered
01-19-2004, 04:40 AM
Spring rates remain the same however your car is adjusted. Coilovers simply adjust height by changing the spot where the spring is seated in relation to the other suspension components. Your car will NOT be stiffer by adjusting the ride height.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 05:41 AM
wat about making all the sides even? if one side is lower...that 1 side will be carrying most of the weight...wont that affect how stiff the spring/shock is due to the increased weight load?

notmpowered
01-20-2004, 05:02 AM
Assuming your spring rates are linear, which is most likely, it will always take a given amount of pressure to compress the spring a certain distance. If your spring rates were say 200lb/inch, it will always take 200lbs of pressure to compress the spring an inch until it can be compressed no more. The position of the car shouldn't have an effect on it. The stiffness of a spring is constant.

Skunk#1
01-20-2004, 09:52 PM
so the ground control setup is the best for e30's?

Skunk#1
01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
also i thought that your car needs to be corner weighed with coilovers. that way you have that same weight on the wheels. otherwise your car would handle like $hit. that is why you don't just lower and go. common among the rice crowd. like the e30 m3 evo, the last one they made, has to have a rake of 10mm lower in the front, no matter how low you go or the weight transfer will effect steering. that is also why a lot of kits don't level the car, they will have some rake to them.

blacknblue-e30
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
i thought bilstein and eibach was the best combo??

notmpowered
01-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Bilstien and eibachs are by no means the best. They are good though. If you want an amazing set up get kw coilovers, unnessecary but ****ing awesome. Different strokes for different folks though, the best spring shock combo is the one that you get to suit your needs. Stiffer equals better handling but harsher ride. Decide what you want to use your car for. Personally ride quality is nothing to me as opposed to performance but its all subjective to the person.

Miguel
01-23-2004, 03:56 AM
off topic, johnoz, how is that alarm you got installed? what exactly did you get done?

kco325
01-24-2004, 03:45 AM
I'm just wondering, what's the general consensus is on H&R sport...
I have it, and love it with 205/40/17 tires and bilstein sport shocks.
I got H&R under the assumption it was a bit stiffer than the eibach.
Anybody else have them in their e30's?

Mystikal
01-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by kco325

Good springs, slightly stiffer than the Pro-Kit. They match well with the Bilsteins, and are pretty much about the stiffest springs that you should pair with them.

johnoz
01-24-2004, 11:28 AM
hi Miguel,

He put the alaram and one sensor for $150. Gave me two remotes. To be honest I was just after the keyless entry system, 'alarm' came as a bonus.

Originally posted by Miguel
off topic, johnoz, how is that alarm you got installed? what exactly did you get done?

fitz318is
01-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by kco325

I have this set up with ST sways and its pretty good. I wish it was a bit lower. I was thinking of changing to HR race or IE stage 3's but keeping the bilsteins. What 17's do you have? Any trouble with them bending?

bmwm5lover
01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by johnoz
hi Miguel,

He put the alaram and one sensor for $150. Gave me two remotes. To be honest I was just after the keyless entry system, 'alarm' came as a bonus.
can u tell me their address?
PLUS, i remember u saying that some guys would rewire ur stereo for 50$, who were they?

johnoz
01-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Here it is. This is the same place:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27298