PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Broke the bolt off my control arm

jordan325
01-17-2004, 12:37 PM
I was changing the front control arm, and I broke off one of the two bolts that hold it to the frame. I can install the new one with only one bolt. Does anyone know if it will be strong enough with one?

The 2nd bolt is broke off in the frame, I think the only way to remove it would be to drill it out..

I have a 86 325e

TIA

E36pilot
01-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Man...that really sucks!!! I broke BOTH bolts in my Integra, rather than take the chance I went ahead and removed the arm and proceeded to drill and tap it. That away you know it's safe especially when the vehicle is sold to someone else, which will eventually happen. It was put in place for a purpose so I'd go for the drill. Just my 2 cents. CYA!

notjoe
01-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by jordan325
I was changing the front control arm, and I broke off one of the two bolts that hold it to the frame. I can install the new one with only one bolt. Does anyone know if it will be strong enough with one?

The 2nd bolt is broke off in the frame, I think the only way to remove it would be to drill it out..

I have a 86 325e

TIA

Be lucky it's only the bolt! I some how ended up ripping my control arm apart from the frame and it cost me like 550 to fix.. They had to re-inforce it and shit :(

snd84318i
01-17-2004, 09:39 PM
there are two bolts for a reason . dont chance it . i would drill it and use an ez out tool . good luck

jordan325
01-17-2004, 10:13 PM
I drilled it and the ez-out tool broke off in the bolt.. now what??

Theres no way I can drill out the ez out tool?!

snd84318i
01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
that f!!!ing sucks . my shock bolt broke and thats how i got mine out .sorry about that can. you tow it to a shop

NickP
01-18-2004, 08:39 PM
One of two bolts that hold it to the frame? Do you mean the control arm bushing bracket?

If it is the control arm - is it the one on the front subframe or the one at the strut assembly?

If its the bushing bracket, just get another ez out - the other bolts can probably be hammered out with a center punch or something since they're not threaded.