PDA

View Full Version : Need better brakes !!!!!!!

greekthang
01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for a place that will sell better caliper. I want to be able to retain my stock spindles and 16" snow tires and rims size. I want alot more braking capability. Is there anywhere in the states or here that supply beefier calipers. If you can please supply the website as well that woul dbe a big help.

Thanks

R_JAY
01-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Greek, the problem is better usually means bigger. Maybe you should wait til the snow is gone, do the M3 upgrade, sell your 16" snows next winter and find some cheap 17's. I know that doesn't really help but it's something to consider.

greekthang
01-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Yeah very true pal.

thinair
01-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Get slotted (not drilled) rotors, some good pads, SS lines, and high temperature brake fluid.

duffy325
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
From what I have read, cross drilled was better than slotted becuase slotted are really hard on pads? Any truth to this?

Miguel
01-20-2004, 01:05 AM
I know a guy selling 850i brakes if you are interested.

bruno@bmwe34.net

Mystikal
01-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by duffy325
From what I have read, cross drilled was better than slotted becuase slotted are really hard on pads? Any truth to this?

No.

Pads are the most significant factor, your calipers are pretty damn good.

325iSBimmer
01-20-2004, 03:59 AM
I read in a magazine that you can use 328ic rear calipers and discs on our cars as a moderate and relatively inexpensive brake upgrade.. See the convertable has vented rear discs and bigger calipers which when put on a coupe will improve the rear brake torque by 11.4% and it will help cooling because of the vented rear discs as opposed to the solid rear discs you have now.

im going to be doing this mod come spring time

read this article to find out more
http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0309ec_pro325is/

greekthang
01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey guys.

I already have the cross drilled brembo disc steel braided lines really good brake fluid and PBR pads and I think its not enough. Maybe I will move to M land for this problem

thinair
01-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Well then, what is your biggest complaint? Are your brakes fading?

Remember, your brakes are only as good as your tires, maybe you need better tires.

greekthang
01-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Well then, what is your biggest complaint? Are your brakes fading?

Remember, your brakes are only as good as your tires, maybe you need better tires.

Brake fade pal. Maybe it is my tires. i have Kuhmo's Ecstra 712. They should be good right ??

thinair
01-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Brake fade pal. Maybe it is my tires. i have Kuhmo's Ecstra 712. They should be good right ??

They're ok, not really the greatest though, but definately not bad, amazing for the money.

Describe your brake fade, what are you doing to make your brakes fade? On the street or on the track?

greekthang
01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
They're ok, not really the greatest though, but definately not bad, amazing for the money.

Describe your brake fade, what are you doing to make your brakes fade? On the street or on the track?

Its street mostly thinair. I can feel that they don't have enough clamping power and if I plan on getting more power to the road I need to stop faster than I am now

thinair
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Does your ABS kick in a lot?

greekthang
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM

No thinair to my recollection it never has.

Slowered318
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM

mine does.. all the time when i stop hard.. is there a way to fix that?

greekthang
01-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318

I would think that a good thing pal. YOur brakes really grab on tight but mine never do. Way too much fade

325iSBimmer
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
My brakes are very good and I dont notice alot of brake fade.. I think what might be happening with you is that because of the big rims you have added unsprung weight which is making it harder on ur brakes.....
thats just a possibility...
i think the solution for you is a Brembo big brake kit.....

greekthang
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
My brakes are very good and I dont notice alot of brake fade.. I think what might be happening with you is that because of the big rims you have added unsprung weight which is making it harder on ur brakes.....
thats just a possibility...
i think the solution for you is a Brembo big brake kit.....

Thats what I was thing pal because right now with the snows on the thing stops amazing. So I think its time to go bigger

thinair
01-21-2004, 09:58 PM
No thinair to my recollection it never has.
Never? Not even if you stand on the brake pedal? That is just weird. Even with my super heavy 19's I could get my ABS to work, I don't think the weight of the rim has a whole lot to do with it, well, it does, but not enough to prevent your ABS from working.

Originally posted by Slowered318
Get better tires.

Also, I can get my brakes to fade (OEM rotors, pads, lines, fluid), but only if I do threshold braking a few times from like 150-50. But I've never gotten them to fade from any street driving (aside from trying to make them fade).

greekthang
01-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Never? Not even if you stand on the brake pedal? That is just weird. Even with my super heavy 19's I could get my ABS to work, I don't think the weight of the rim has a whole lot to do with it, well, it does, but not enough to prevent your ABS from working.

Get better tires.

Also, I can get my brakes to fade (OEM rotors, pads, lines, fluid), but only if I do threshold braking a few times from like 150-50. But I've never gotten them to fade from any street driving (aside from trying to make them fade).

Hey thinair if I hammer on the brakes hard then yeah they will but I get much better response on braking with the 16's I have on now so it must be the rims then. Noticed that yesterday and today big time

thinair
01-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey thinair if I hammer on the brakes hard then yeah they will but I get much better response on braking with the 16's I have on now so it must be the rims then. Noticed that yesterday and today big time

I dunno what to tell you, I guess go for a larger brake kit and see what happens. I haven't installed my M kit yet, so I don't know how much of a difference it'll make yet.

Have you tried rebleeding your brakes? Maybe something contaminated the pads (oils and such). Could also be due to the cross drilled rotors, they actually brake worse then non-drilled or slotted rotors.

greekthang
01-22-2004, 04:12 PM
I dunno what to tell you, I guess go for a larger brake kit and see what happens. I haven't installed my M kit yet, so I don't know how much of a difference it'll make yet.

Have you tried rebleeding your brakes? Maybe something contaminated the pads (oils and such). Could also be due to the cross drilled rotors, they actually brake worse then non-drilled or slotted rotors.

Very true Thinair I will switch from the cross drilled to slotted or solid

thinair
01-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Very true Thinair I will switch from the cross drilled to slotted or solid

Well, if you're planning on still doing the M brake kit, just wait it out until you have them. I wouldn't spend more money on rotors if you're swapping the whole front brakes altogether right?

Btw, the 16's you have, they're the stock sport package rims right?

greekthang
01-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Well, if you're planning on still doing the M brake kit, just wait it out until you have them. I wouldn't spend more money on rotors if you're swapping the whole front brakes altogether right?

Btw, the 16's you have, they're the stock sport package rims right?

Thinair I am just going to save my cash for the swap. They are not the stock sprt rims they are steels.

thinair
01-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Thinair I am just going to save my cash for the swap. They are not the stock sprt rims they are steels.

You know what, with 16" steelies you should be able to fit M brakes under them.

greekthang
01-23-2004, 12:48 AM
You know what, with 16" steelies you should be able to fit M brakes under them.

Thats awesome thinair did you try it already because alot of people are telling me you can't ??

thinair
01-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Thats awesome thinair did you try it already because alot of people are telling me you can't ??

Well, I don't think they'll fit under the stock 16" sport wheels, but the steel rims have thinner metal along the rim lips. I'm gonna be in the garage working on my car tomorrow, if i have time I'll try to fit the brakes under the stock 16" sport wheel and let you know if it clears, or how much more room it needs.

greekthang
01-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, I don't think they'll fit under the stock 16" sport wheels, but the steel rims have thinner metal along the rim lips. I'm gonna be in the garage working on my car tomorrow, if i have time I'll try to fit the brakes under the stock 16" sport wheel and let you know if it clears, or how much more room it needs.

Awesome thinair. When you find out pal please let me know. Thanks

thinair
01-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Awesome thinair. When you find out pal please let me know. Thanks

Well, I checked the brakes, they won't fit without spacers on the 16" sport wheels. Steel rims usually have thinner walls, so it may fit on the steelies. I took some pics, I'll post it later on today

greekthang
01-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Well, I checked the brakes, they won't fit without spacers on the 16" sport wheels. Steel rims usually have thinner walls, so it may fit on the steelies. I took some pics, I'll post it later on today

Thanks for the effort thinair. Yeah pics would be great

thinair
01-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Here you can see there the caliper is hitting. On the aluminum sport wheel there is a thicker section of aluminum right behind where the spokes meet the lip.

thinair
01-24-2004, 06:25 PM
here is a close up. I don't doubt that on a steel wheel that it will fit, I just can't say for sure.

greekthang
01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Thank you very much for the effort thinair but it looks like I need to go to 17's pal.

Thanks again