PDA

View Full Version : LF engine shots m50 in e30


Jase
01-15-2004, 12:33 AM
I am looking for engine shots of a m50 in e30. I have a line on a m50> I want to make sure it is what I want.

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Any particular angle you need?

gsbadbmr
01-15-2004, 04:40 AM
this will have to do*th-up*

-gsbadbmr

Jase
01-15-2004, 04:53 AM
I am just trying to cover as mucjh of the bay as possible.I am trying to make sure I am not missing anything.Plus I am making sure it is what I want to do.

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 04:55 AM
Okay, well these should help out a bit more:

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 04:56 AM
Here you go. Every angle covered now.

Miguel
01-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Hows this engine look?
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/ENGINE02.jpg

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 04:59 AM
This one is even betta, sucka. This is on my to-do list fo sho.

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:00 AM
As funny as it seems I was offered a LS1 from a friend. I figured it would cost too mch to get it in.

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 05:01 AM
LS1 you say?

<-- Pic whore of the night

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Yep like that! Just this one did not have red covers. That would be big dollars to put that baby in!But emagine the power!I bet it would eat a m3 with ease. Nice V12 BTW

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Have you seen pics of the car that engine was/is being put into? It was done very recently, and he never did check back on any forums with final details. I know he had it mounted in and running. Probably too much fun to drive, doesn't wanna come back to type a boring post.

That engine is pretty damn light too, plus it sits much lower in the compartment than any BMW engine. *th-up*

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:21 AM
I really looked into the LS1. But I figured it was too much for the e30. I would ahve frame issues, body flex how i would shoe horn it in i had no idea

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I would ahve frame issues, body flex

how so?

Mystikal
01-15-2004, 05:25 AM
If someone offered me an LS1 I'd probably grab either an old IROC or an S-10 and throw it in. That offer is just too tempting. *wiggle*

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:28 AM
I don't think a e30 could handle that much Hp. I figure it would buckle. I have seen those ones in europe with 400 hp but I am suresomething was done to the frame to stablize it

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I don't think a e30 could handle that much Hp. I figure it would buckle. I have seen those ones in europe with 400 hp but I am suresomething was done to the frame to stablize it

You think? 1995 E34 M5's had 335hp stock.... do you really think you'd need to reinforce the frame for an extra 65 Hp?

When you say reinforce, are you talking roll cage?

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Alpina B10 from '89-'94 with the 3.5l bi turbo 6 had 354hp / 360bhp and Dinan 535i from '88-'92 with the M30 6 - 3.7l engine had 450hp / 457bhp stock with no reinforced frame.

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:35 AM
I may stand corrected!. I was worried since I replaced my floors and the car was 20Years old it could not handle it.

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I may stand corrected!. I was worried since I replaced my floors and the car was 20Years old it could not handle it.

But when you say REINFORCED FAME, what do you mean? how is a frame reinforced? Are you talking about installing some crazy 8 point cage?

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:42 AM
More or less installing a secondary frame along side the original including connecting the sub frame together. Since the car is a unibody similar to a camaro the frame once connected is much stronger.

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Jase
More or less installing a secondary frame along side the original including connecting the sub frame together. Since the car is a unibody similar to a camaro the frame once connected is much stronger.

Im sure that would be a great thing to do, but I personally have never heard of a BMW with too much HP bending a frame... is that possible? How does too much HP bend a frame? I know thats possible but what exactly causes the frame to twist?

Jase
01-15-2004, 05:51 AM
When a car launches it twists . Watch a car at the drag stip. One side of the front of the car lifts. Sometimes it does come back down. Or over time it crcks the frame or body panels ect.

Miguel
01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Jase
When a car launches it twists . Watch a car at the drag stip. One side of the front of the car lifts. Sometimes it does come back down. Or over time it crcks the frame or body panels ect.

so why cant you just reinforce the front of the car?

Jase
01-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
so why cant you just reinforce the front of the car?

I am not sure I guess that might work.I still think it would cost me alot of mney to do the LS1 even if I put it in

Miguel
01-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I am not sure I guess that might work.I still think it would cost me alot of money to do the LS1 even if I put it in

what kinda parts would you need besides the engine, computer and a tranny?

Jase
01-15-2004, 06:12 AM
bigger rad, drive shaft, rearend then you have to mount it

Miguel
01-15-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Jase
bigger rad, drive shaft, rearend then you have to mount it

DRIVESHAFT according to the guy that installed the small block chevy motor in his E30:
My drive shaft is actually 3 shafts welded into one. Chevy trans. yoke welded to a junkyard (Chrysler I believe) shaft that is welded to the BMW rear "yoke". The BMW drive shaft is NON-serviceable. I found this out after taking the u-joint off. We found a u-joint that fit at a local auto store. My father put everything together and hit it with a couple tack welds to hold the u-joint caps in place. I used epoxy to completely secure the u-joint in place


STOCK REAREND.
Both axles had a bad cvc boot when I bought the car. It made a little noise when putting the car in drive or reverse. I made it a few thousand miles before one of the CV Joints pretty much came apart. I replaced the axle shafts with 90,000-mile axles and haven't had any problems since. I do have a 3.73 rear end to replace the 2.93 but haven't felt the need. I know the acceleration would be better but I really enjoy cruising in 4th gear below 2,000rpm on the freeway.


COOLING.
I installed a HOWE aluminum radiator with a front mounted fan..very unfortunate that there is not as much room between the water pump and radiator. The front mount electric fan pretty much rules out an air conditioning install.
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/BMW/Fans.jpg

Jase
01-15-2004, 06:41 AM
I am going to give my friend a call tommorrow. If he still has it and offers it to me at the price we agreed It may be worth considering.Ahhhhh 6 speed 300hp e30..I still think it may be a bit harder than it seems. Where is that write up from?

Miguel
01-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I am going to give my friend a call tommorrow. If he still has it and offers it to me at the price we agreed It may be worth considering.Ahhhhh 6 speed 300hp e30..I still think it may be a bit harder than it seems. Where is that write up from?

right here: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/BMW.htm
Maybe we should talk at the detroit show*th-up*

Jase
01-15-2004, 06:57 AM
for sure *th-up*

BMW BMXer
01-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
Hows this engine look?
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/ENGINE02.jpg

I like that. *th-up*

Bob Loblaw
01-15-2004, 04:40 PM
An LS1 swap would be very very cool, Jase!

matty.dc
04-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Love IROC-Z Camaros

richie_s999
04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Love IROC-Z Camaros

DUDE you pulled a 5 year old thread up