PDA

View Full Version : Calling all supercharger guru's.........

98323IS
01-13-2004, 01:51 PM
I am thinking of going this route now........screw spending all the money on little bolt ons that add maybe 10hp if I am lucky. I found this kit on e-bay and need to know what you guys think. I do not know a whole lot about superchargers so once again I am asking all of you! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33741&item=2453726541

Clem
01-13-2004, 02:39 PM
AA uses the Rotrex blower with excellent results.

From MY research 2 things I've garnered is that the blower unit's reliability is questionable and they are not upgradeable.

98323IS
01-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes and I would need to somehow tune it and I have dinan software so I don't now what would happen there, plus I would need about 500US dollars more in parts.......but still that is pretty cheap.........just want to know if it's do-able

Clem
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
It is do able. ASA SKI supercharger kits use rising rate(?) fuel pressure regulators instead of software. So having software ISN'T a must but would improve the performance of the unit and your engine greatly.

FYI: AA does do custom software as well.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Why dont u swap for a 3.2L? no replacement for displacement...bolts on to an OBD1 3.2L will give u great power...keeping NA reliability! plus u will get more torque and power if u plan to go FI on that too

98323IS
01-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I know I know I wish I could but the $$$ is a little too big for my pockets! I have decided not to get the supercharger after all and instead get some looks for now..........via m3 sideskirts, m3 steering wheel and (possibly, i will pm you!) some euro ellipsoids.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-13-2004, 07:59 PM
how much is this SC kit installed, and TUNED? (dyno tuning is expensive) plus u need all those other parts...plus intercooler.

98323IS
01-13-2004, 10:57 PM
yup exactly that is why i decided not to get it...........

thinair
01-13-2004, 11:40 PM
All I'm going to say, get a twin screw blower. From what I've been told, it doesn't feel like a blown engine, it just feelis like a bigger engine.

moerom
01-14-2004, 04:03 AM
For all out power: centrifugal
For low end power: roots-type
For both, but big $$$: Twin-screw

A centrifugal blower (Paxton Novi, etc...) needs to spin up w/ the engine to make power, thus the boost is linear (the more revs, the more boost).

A roots-type is driven by the crank, so full boost is always a tenth of a second away. The problem is, the suffer from efficiency problems and run out of steam when you spin them hard.

A twin-screw is a variation of the roots-type, but very very efficient, and gives great low-end and good top end. Boost is instant, with an accent on higher rpm power.

The larger cubic inches the roots-type blower is, the more boost it can push (just like an engine). A centrifugal blower can be spun hard for more boost, but remember they also cost alot of $$$.

A supercharger tends to be low maintenance if they are installed properly and not pushed over their design limits.

A centrifugal supercharger makes a sound kind of link a bad alternator, and wheezes when it spins. A roots type screams like a jet engine. A twin screw sounds like a dentist's drill.

There is no right or wrong, as long as it works for your needs!

moerom
01-14-2004, 04:03 AM
The rotrex is a centrifugal type, btw...

Clem
01-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by moerom
The rotrex is a centrifugal type, btw...

Actually I thought it was a hybrid a la ASA. They tend to spool faster thus providing a more linear torque curve allowing peak torque a RPMs as low as 2000-2500

moerom
01-14-2004, 07:58 AM
i think you're right because I made my guess solely on the blower case...

Slowered318
01-14-2004, 08:27 AM
don't they have a rotory vain style blower too? or are they all gear driven to spin an impeller really fast