PDA

View Full Version : "tail light failure" on check control

325iSBimmer
01-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been gettign this message ever since i bought my car...

I've looked and none of my lights are out.
I've replaced the Brake circuit and checked to see if all the contacts on the bulb holders are making contact....

but im still getting this message....
is anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix....

the only other thing I can think of is my actual check control is screwed cause the display is all facked up too...

any ideas

WASABI
01-12-2004, 04:18 AM
Did you check the brake light switch like what others in this thread recommended ?

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26372&highlight=failure

325iSBimmer
01-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
I've replaced the Brake circuit...
yeah...thats the first thing I replaced...it took care of the "Brake Circuit Failure" problem but I still get the "Tail light Failure"

WASABI
01-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Heh, my bad. Do you still have the OEM tails or did you get red/clear ones?

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:06 AM
unfortunately I still have the OEM tails.....*mumble*

I have the gen 3 corners and Im working towards getting these tail lights.....(see pic)*mw*

I'll probably get them come spring time....I have a few maintenance things to deal with during winter....ball joints, tie rod ends, rear strut mounts, rotors, thermostat, hydraulic lifters...

I've got most of that stuff done but now I need to save some $$$

SeRb
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
its one of the bulbs i had the same problem

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:08 AM
these are my corners...

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:08 AM
and they will go well with these headlights....

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:12 AM
heres what they look like on the car.....

car is winter mode right now...no rims or CAI

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SeRb
its one of the bulbs i had the same problem

really?...but all the bulbs light up......well...i guess I'll just replace them all....not like it's expensive.....

thanx for the tip

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 12:15 AM
side view....

damn hoist post...*mumble*

Mohamed 525i
01-13-2004, 08:42 AM
It happened with my E34 once,, the problem was the bulb itself its not the same Voltage and watt

change both of them and see

WASABI
01-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Nice new mods ! I was looking at those crystal rear lights too.

Re: the tails, check the bulbs, some may be near its end and resistance is not as good. I've always used some di-electric grease that you can pick up the CDN Tire, they ensure good contact.

325iSBimmer
01-13-2004, 05:07 PM
cool...thanx for the info guys.....

This is what I love about Max....u can come with any sort of problem big or small and people are always willing to help....

crazyvadim
01-14-2004, 11:33 PM
OT but 325iSBimmer,did you figure out that ticking noise yet??

325iSBimmer
01-15-2004, 03:17 AM
Im pretty sure I've got it nailed down to Hydraulic lifters.....
but i will only find out unless I replace them or take it to the dealer...and i think replacing them will be cheaper for me...lol

E36pilot
01-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I had that recently too. About two weekas ago it was 7 degree F here and I had that message so straight to "Autozone" I went. After a half an hour outside, I ended up replacing 8 bulbs.....it was gone, the message that is. Took the bulbs inside and they said 3 of them were bad (tester), I kept the others even though they had a greyish look to em. 20 bucks and a half an hour will probably be the extent of your solution.

325iSBimmer
01-24-2004, 05:18 PM
i've been replacing lights but there is two that i can't find....
heres what I've replaced
-2 reverse lights
-2 turn signal lights
then there are 3 lights along the bottom of each tail light assymbly. the one closest to the inside lights up when you push the brake pedal and the two outer ones are one with the lights ON..well the only one I can't find it the Outer one.... do you know that the bulb # is... If you do that would be greatly appreciated

325iSBimmer
01-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Well. I figured out what the problem was. After about 6 hours and the removal of the whole left side interior of my car from the trunk, to the rear seat, the side panels, the front seat, the kick panel and the bottom half of my dash board.
I had replaced all the bulbs and was still getting that message so then i decide to just have a look at the wires. Thats when i noticed that two wires had been "rigged together to make but tail lights light up; when in fact only one of the wires had power coming to it. So with a tester and a wiring schematic I started to trace the wire back and found that somewhere underneath the carpet right about under the drivers seat there must have been a break in it. So what i did is a ran a wire fom just under the dashboard where the original wire still showed power to where the original wire came up and out of the carpet.
This solved the problem. It was a lot of work taking the interior apart but after replacing all the bulbs and still getting the message I was determined to get that stupid message off no matter what it took....even if it was 6 hours later..lol

one positive is I replaced all the little light bulbs that are usually burnt out like the ashtray lights and the light that lights up the headlight and fog light switch

Soldo
01-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Ya i had the exact same problem with my factory tails, when i bought the car, it would only happen once i turned on the lowbeams. Once i purchased my OEM clear tails, i noticed that one of the pins was not making proper contact, and when i installed the OEM tails, it removed this problem for me!