PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass E30 Dash

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 04:56 AM
What do you guys think about a glass dash in my E30..

I would do matching glass rear deck, front kick pannel pods, sub enclosure and amp rack.. all painted body color and do the seats in black leather..

Feedback!

Jase
01-09-2004, 05:01 AM
I think it would look good. I was trying to do something myself with the rear deck and door pods. I want to mount subs in the rear deck but I think I am lacking the room. I havent measured yet.

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I think it would look good. I was trying to do something myself with the rear deck and door pods. I want to mount subs in the rear deck but I think I am lacking the room. I havent measured yet.

Jase.. there are tricks to build good speaker pods :) it's not that easy unless you know how. you should be able to fit a 6.5 inch down there.. as far as the rear deck it will be hard to slide a fiberglass shelf in there but i'm shure it can be done if a two piece is used.. as for subs you should try these! they are actually pretty good from what i hear.

Blaupunkt ODw1000
-Mounting depths just over 2" allows for extremely tight installations with thin subwoofer enclosures

Jase
01-09-2004, 05:21 AM
You would be better off putting them in the bottom of the door. Unless you angle them toward you and up they are very inefficient. I was going to cut the rear deck and buikd a box under them. As far as building pods. depends on where.if you do the area by your feet you can pull back the carpet and fiberglass the area for a backing and use MDF for the rings and the area to hold up the ring. after you strech and staple the sheet over the ring and it is resined and dryed,area for the speaker cut out with a dremel.You can use feather fill( spray can) it sands like chalk. Prime it and paint or vinyl or fabric..done..There is more involved but it is a slight run down. I will look for a link to a website for info.

try here www.the12volt.com

BMW BMXer
01-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Wanna test on mine? Its all cracked and worthless. :D

M50E30
01-09-2004, 05:28 AM
F#@k Blaupunkt! Go big with the Memphis Audio LVS Subwoofer 15-LVS18 (1000watts RMS 1400watts Peak)!

*mw*
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/images/p13_LVS_Subw/P13_LVS_CUT-AWAY.JPG

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/images/P13/P13_15-LVS15.JPG

Check out this amp!!!

Memphis MOJO
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/images/p08&09_MClass_Amps/16-MC2000D.jpg
RMS Power 4 ohm (Watts) 1200 x 1 @ 13.8V
RMS Power 2 ohm (Watts) 2000 x 1@13.8V
2400 x 1 @ 15.5 V
THD 4 ohm 0.75%
Frequency Response +/- 1 dB 10Hz-650Khz
Dimensions (in.) 9.75 x 2.25 x 21.5

Jase
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Wanna test on mine? Its all cracked and worthless. :D

the rear deck or pods?

i will help you out if i can.

here is another link

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/glassmanscustomforum/

Slowered318
MaxBMXr thanks for the offer.. but id be using all new material cause i hate that cheap plastic that always cracks*mad* mine just cracked today cause of the cold!

Jase.. thanks but yeah i know how to built them.. i made some fro my truck and they turned out great. i don't wanna start hacking into my doors if i can help it.. so i'm gonna slightly angle my existing 5 1/4's in the kick pannel

85eta
01-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Sure giver a try Ryan, sounds like it could look sweet. You would certainly have a one of a kind interior! Be sure to post pics when complete!

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Dave.. how is jase going to fit that in his rear deck. LOL.. it was just an option cause the Blau subs are extreamly shallow.. you could fit a 10" in the door if you wanted.. donno if the memphis would fit there LOL

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by 85eta
Sure giver a try Ryan, sounds like it could look sweet. You would certainly have a one of a kind interior! Be sure to post pics when complete!

it would take me a few months to do it :)

Jase
01-09-2004, 05:33 AM
I had plans to use come carbon fiber but i am just playing with the fiberglass for now. I have done a few things covered in C/F .The fiberglass is way cheaper.

M50E30
01-09-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
Dave.. how is jase going to fit that in his rear deck.

Oops! Thought you were talking about subs for the rear! My bad. :D

Jase
01-09-2004, 05:35 AM
I was talking about subs in the rear deck . Including cutting into the deck itself. I just think I am short on distance between the rear seat and rear window.

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 05:38 AM
I was talking about subs in the rear deck . Including cutting into the deck itself. I just think I am short on distance between the rear seat and rear window.

if you use every little inch.. you'll have just about 10" if your going for loud.. your better off to keep them in the trunk or port through the ski boot. ever thought of putting speakers on the sides of the rear seats.. if it's 2 door.. you have a huge empty space in there. i wouldn't cut the rear deck.. cause i think it's structural

Jase
01-09-2004, 05:44 AM
it was more for look. I figured 2 10" sealed would hit nice and clean. I wanted to put 6.5 separates in the C pillar (moulded facing you)6.5 in the door and mirror corner. If I can't put subs in the deck I will put a window in it into the trunk. I can reinforce the rear deck with some tubing. I think you could only get away with 8" subs in the arm rest side seat area. Not sure though. Oh ya I don't have a ski hole. the car is a 84 remember?

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 05:58 AM
it was more for look. I figured 2 10" sealed would hit nice and clean. I wanted to put 6.5 separates in the C pillar (moulded facing you)6.5 in the door and mirror corner. If I can't put subs in the deck I will put a window in it into the trunk. I can reinforce the rear deck with some tubing. I think you could only get away with 8" subs in the arm rest side seat area. Not sure though. Oh ya I don't have a ski hole. the car is a 84 remember?

sounds pretty crazy! cant you just use a newer seat and cut out the hole? pass through can sound really good if it's ported perfectly. and no trunk rattles cause all the sound is going into the cab

Jase
01-09-2004, 06:05 AM
I just redid the seats in 2 tone leather. I don't want to do it again. I am sure i can port the subs from the trunk. Thing is i dont want the entire trunk used. I have some plans for the trunk.

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 06:11 AM
I just redid the seats in 2 tone leather. I don't want to do it again. I am sure i can port the subs from the trunk. Thing is i dont want the entire trunk used. I have some plans for the trunk.

so there is no pleasing you...

ok.. here is what you do..

-glass the rear deck (use a large port in the middle and vent your bandpass dual 10's or 12's through there. keep it very clean and smooth, that way you don't have to cut the deck that much and you can do a plexy rear window on sub box)
-build pods in the side of the rear seats for some nice 6.5 component
-build pods for either the front kick.. or door for an additional set of 6.5 component.
-finish off with super bright blue LED accent lighting..

and come to bimmercruize and try and beat what i'm going to do :)

btw.. do you have MSN? i'm ryanswim@hotmail.com

Jase
01-09-2004, 06:18 AM
See now you see where i am comming from..:D Hey we share the same taste in cars and kits ...cut me some slack...:D

I really want to finish it all in carbon fiber. to match the back of the seats and the console. ties it all together

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Anyone have any pics or ideas about this?

WASABI
01-09-2004, 02:17 PM
No Fiberglass, please ! Depending on the color of the interior, stitched leather dash looks awesome, I'd love to get that done, but that's just me.

djcontra
01-09-2004, 02:18 PM
i'm against it unless for show purposes. I am pretty sure fiberglass dashes are really unsafe in an accident.

now that the lecture is over, how many speakers, video screens, and neon lights will be in the dash?? :)

Jon@Bimmersport
01-09-2004, 08:25 PM
you'll do a fiber glass dash...but u wont go 1" lower or go with 18s? :huh?:

i'd say keep it as is

suicide
01-09-2004, 09:25 PM
the fiber glassing would look awasome and if you need someone to do it me and my friend are starting to do it...

Slowered318
01-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Not going to do the glass dash.. i got some different interior mods in mind

suicide
01-09-2004, 10:10 PM
are u sure... take alook at a glass'd celica..

Miguel
01-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Ryan, think of how easy it would be to clean the fibreglass dash.

I vote for stitched fabric.. black suede.

Albertae30
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM
see i have been thinkin about the glass dash as well due to the fact mine is cracked sooo bad and its hard to find a replacement around here. i think if you did a glass dash them some how covered it in something just so it wasn't so damned shiny you would have a nice dash that wouldn't crack. as for sub inclosures i was going to drop my back seat and do four tens and then have the 6.5s in the rear deck still with another set of 6.5s in the rear seat pannels.

blacknblue-e30
01-13-2004, 10:36 PM
I not so sure if it would look that hot at all! kinda ricey maybe?
but who knows, so maybe just do it, if its affordable enough to be able to throw it away after lol
It may look different infront of our eyes! :)
Its allllll about experimenting