PDA

View Full Version : Older E36 CAI install

bart320i
01-06-2004, 07:17 PM
I was trying to install my CAI today but saw that there a two coolant lines going into the stock air box. I have an idea how to get around this but also looking to see how others have done it?

Soldo
01-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Well i have a HOME DEPOT INTAKE (plumbing piping for my arm) and i just took the sensors out and put them in the piping, and just caulked around it to fill the gap, and POOF!
Works like a charm!

bart320i
01-06-2004, 11:16 PM
thanks thats what I was thinking of too.

Furious
01-07-2004, 02:48 AM
i have just bypassed them, i tiewrapped them to a secure location. i have had no problems.. but if anyone does know of a potential problem please lemme know. because i have my cai out for the winter, i can bore a hole in and retrofit a way for the plug to be re-inserted.

btw- isnt that sensor some sort of altitude/air temp sensor of some sort?

suicide
01-09-2004, 10:18 PM
i bought a short ram and converted it to cold air by buying a civic intake this is what mine looks like..

your probably talking about the O2 sensor.. measures the air comming from the intake...

325iSBimmer
01-11-2004, 04:01 PM
wow:eek: i think ur engine bay is due for a cleaning.....:D

and that sensor you're talking about is a coolant temp sensor...it has two 1/4 inch coolant lines going to it and it help to heat the car faster by knowing how cold it is outside... something along those lines anyways...

the O2 sensor is in the exhaust....

as far as that sensor....i just drilled a hole in the intake pipe and then secured the sensor with a self tapping screw. A litle silicone and it was air tight seal...

well built intake though.....did you have to remove something in order to get the filter down behind the bumper.... cause i have a canister of some sort where the perfect spot to feed the tube through is....

I made my intake out of 3 inch tubing and used a hydraulic Bender and then welded the brakets in place...the only thing a bought was the filter and the silicone sleeve....

If anybody wants I can make them one for about $60

325iSBimmer
01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
another view and different colour

P.S....it hadn't been clearcoated yet so thats why the paint on the intake looks facked

djcontra
01-13-2004, 03:36 AM
If you're talking about the cold air temperature sensor that plugs into the stock airbox, just tie it off somewhere away from the engine, because you dont need it (unless it gets to -45'c outside).
If you're talking about replacing the rubber elbow with two vaccum hoses attached, well, that's a bit of a challenge to fabricate (i know, it took me a long time).