PDA

View Full Version : Just installed A pair of Sylvania SilverStar Bulbs....

BMW_M52_M20
12-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, I went to crappy tire because I needed to get some more rim cleaner and saw the new Silverstar bulbs by Sylvania......
I have bought the imitation HID lights before and I find they are too blue and burn out, but being made by sylvania I thought the quality would be better and I have seen them advertised before.....
They were $24.99 each for the 9006 low beam so with taxes it was 57.00$ which isn't cheap but I thought I would give them a go......

I installed them on the 323is when I got home an I am really impressed......The illumination is fantastic and emits a very simliar HID look, not blue, but it makes my Halogeon Fog lights look dull:P

The lighting is a lot brighter in front of the car and took it on some dark service roads and they are very bright.......
If anyone is looking at these or are looking for an upgrade from the regular H4 bulbs then I would say go for it........You will be impressed........

Also they make the SilverStar's in a sealed beam application for the e30's.
They are pricey bulbs, but I am happy with the money I have spent.......
Jay

KenCopperwheat
12-14-2003, 06:46 AM
The blue tint on the Sylvania Silverstars actually make them less bright. If you really want to upgrade to the best possible halogens, then get the Osram Silverstar +50%s. I just got a pair from http://www.cars-gb.com they're cheaper there than anywhere you can find in the US and they have really cheap shipping from the UK (only 4 days to deliver to the west coast). You can get them for about $25-30 shipped from the UK. I highly suggest getting the Osrams if you really want to upgrade your lighting to the best, the Sylvania version still has a blue coating on the bulb whereas the Osrams are clear and VERY bright. Osram is the parent company of Sylvania by the way.

You may also want to check out www.suvlights.com, however, I have never bought anything from them, but I've heard they're pretty good to deal with.

BMW_M52_M20
12-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Well, from what I see they are brighter then the stock ones without a question......
It isn't a blue tint either around the bulb, it is almost a light purple and the element inside the sylvania bulbs is bigger then the OEM bulbs from BMW.
Thats from someone who has tried them
Jay

djcontra
12-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20

It isn't a blue tint either around the bulb, it is almost a light purple and the element inside the sylvania bulbs is bigger then the OEM bulbs from BMW.
Thats from someone who has tried them
Jay

From the description, they sound just like the PIAA superwhites I had back in the day. Much brighter than stock, but no hid replacement :)
I find the best upgrade I did (halogen wise) was put highbeam bulbs in my low beam sockets. The improvement in light output on the road is amazing!

Miguel
12-14-2003, 10:34 PM
If anyone is interested, I have 2 9005 Sylvanna Cool Blue bulbs and 1 9006 Sylvanna Cool Blue for sale.

Used for 2 weeks, converted to H1's. $20 for all 3 bulbs.
PM me.
No haggling please If you dont like the price, go to Crappy Tire yourself.

djcontra
12-14-2003, 10:52 PM
Miguel, what did you buy from DJAuto?
I'm interested in taking the bulbs off your hands for $20, but with the snow we have right now, it wont be any time soon :)

KenCopperwheat
12-14-2003, 11:09 PM
The Silverstars are MUCH better than stock. No questions about that. I was just saying that the Osrams are brighter than the Sylvanias... in case anyone was interested. And I just wanted to let people know about that site because you can get them very cheap.

E36_M_Power
12-15-2003, 12:47 AM
I bought set from a local store cost me 20bucks...I used them for 2 month...very bright

M50E30
12-15-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by KenCopperwheat
The Silverstars are MUCH better than stock. No questions about that. I was just saying that the Osrams are brighter than the Sylvanias... in case anyone was interested. And I just wanted to let people know about that site because you can get them very cheap.

I don't think you can get the Osrams in Canada. :( If someone knows where they sell them let me know because I want a pair!

BMW_M52_M20
12-15-2003, 03:22 AM
I think you are right, you can't get them in Canada........It isn't an HID kit quality or anywhere near for comparison, but for an H4 bulb it is pretty good....
Jay

windsor318is
12-15-2003, 03:22 AM
forget sylvania, get a pair of street glow bulbs, you wont be disapointed

Jon@Bimmersport
12-15-2003, 03:31 AM
pfftt...bulbs..who needs those things anyway! lol :D

Does anyone know the quality of those E30 xenon kits on the net? they say it works 100% but would rather have something from somewhere like umnitza or somewhere that i can trust, rather than joe schmoe automotive

M50E30
12-15-2003, 05:16 AM
I think you are right, you can't get them in Canada........It isn't an HID kit quality or anywhere near for comparison, but for an H4 bulb it is pretty good....
Jay

I tell everyone I sell Sylvania Silverstars and PIAA bulbs that they are not getting HID quality/brighness. But they are kinda pricey for just a bulb.

Originally posted by windsor318is
forget sylvania, get a pair of street glow bulbs, you wont be disapointed

I sell Street Glow bulbs at work too. Never had any complaints and the price is pretty good too.

Originally posted by E46_lover
Does anyone know the quality of those E30 xenon kits on the net? they say it works 100% but would rather have something from somewhere like umnitza or somewhere that i can trust, rather than joe schmoe automotive

Jon,

I was quoted $800 for a xenon kit from www.xenondepot.com a year or so ago. I don't know which kits they sell but it would be a good question to e-mail him and do some research on the net. I sell aftermarket HID kits at work...do I smell a group buy in early spring?

Dave

MP328
12-15-2003, 05:54 AM
i dont know see why you guys make a big fuss about those bulbs, they suck big time.

i bought them while they still were 50 each i think. and i returned them the same day and got my money back.

i have the eurolite blue bulbs and i installed one of the silverstars and left one eurolite. and there was absolutely no difference between the two of them. none that was visible with my eye. and i tried looking at the reflection on the wall and they exactly looked the same.

and they even say it on their website the bulbs will not survive more then one year http://www.sylvania.com/auto/sstar_faq.htmWhat is the life expectancy of SilverStar?

The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driverís use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions.

KenCopperwheat
12-15-2003, 06:55 AM
You can get Osrams anywhere, you just have to have them shipped from a country that sells them, such as the UK. You can't buy them in the US either. Just go to that website above that I posted and they'll hook you up with a pair of Osram Silverstars. They're a HUGE upgrade over stock and the best halogens that you can buy. They're the brightest and whitest bulb next to HID.

Miguel
12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Miguel, what did you buy from DJAuto?
I'm interested in taking the bulbs off your hands for $20, but with the snow we have right now, it wont be any time soon :)

these :P

you dont have $20 now?

BMW_M52_M20
12-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by M50E30
I tell everyone I sell Sylvania Silverstars and PIAA bulbs that they are not getting HID quality/brighness. But they are kinda pricey for just a bulb.

Dave

I never expected them to be anywhere close to an HID system.....But regardless of what anyone says on here, I noticed a difference to the stock ones, just my personal experience.....

mkgino
12-16-2003, 12:06 AM

Does anyone know the quality of those E30 xenon kits on the net? they say it works 100% but would rather have something from somewhere like umnitza or somewhere that i can trust, rather than joe schmoe automotive Umnitza doesnt sell xenon kits anymore

mkgino
12-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by M50E30

I sell Street Glow bulbs at work too. Never had any complaints and the price is pretty good too.

Jon,

I was quoted $800 for a xenon kit from www.xenondepot.com a year or so ago. I don't know which kits they sell but it would be a good question to e-mail him and do some research on the net. I sell aftermarket HID kits at work...do I smell a group buy in early spring?

Dave
XENON DEPOT OWNS ALL!!!!!!!

Miguel
12-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
XENON DEPOT OWNS ALL!!!!!!!

WWW.EBAY.DE OWNS ALL!!!!!!!!

mkgino
12-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
WWW.EBAY.DE OWNS ALL!!!!!!!! well yeah.............

KaschmirBeige3
12-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Nothing Owns like the stock Bi-Xenon's:P

BMW_M52_M20
12-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by KaschmirBeige3
Nothing Owns like the stock Bi-Xenon's:P

Yep, but hardly any of our cars came with stock Bi-xenons........:P
Jay

KaschmirBeige3
12-16-2003, 03:25 AM
Yep, but hardly any of our cars came with stock Bi-xenons........:P
Jay

LOL...After having MANY brands of blue bulbs on my old E36 I noticed that they aren't worth $5. I was better off with the stock halogen 9006 bulbs. One time, I was running 55Watt (supposedly) blue bulbs and my left low beam socket burned to a crisp. I wound up replacing the whole socket*thmbsdwn* .

Also, ordering my E46 with the Bi-Xenon headlight option was a no brainer decision. After driving the E46 with the Bi-Xenon's I would NEVER buy another new car without HID lights. The light output and clearness is unmatched*th-up*

BMW_M52_M20
12-16-2003, 03:32 AM
You are absolutly right, bi-xenons are a no brainer if the option is there......One day on the e36....

KaschmirBeige3
12-16-2003, 03:48 AM
You are absolutly right, bi-xenons are a no brainer if the option is there......One day on the e36....

Get the HID retrofit kit for your E36...But make you sure you do it right by getting the EURO ELLIPSOIDS.

Also, you have a really clean E36 there..It's got that perfectly sleek look...good job with the car*th-up*

windsor318is
12-16-2003, 07:04 AM
dave would you agree that the street glows are much better than the sylvanias??? i wouldnt even bother getting HID's know

M50E30
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by windsor318is
dave would you agree that the street glows are much better than the sylvanias??? i wouldnt even bother getting HID's know

Street Glow bulbs are nice but there is no comparison between a set of bulb that uses stock wattage and a true HID kit. HID is the way too go since it is proven to be brighter and uses a 1/3 of your stock wattage (too bad the kits are not really that affordable still).

Mystikal
12-16-2003, 12:42 PM

These guys (http://www.mmsport.s5.com/) have the best E30 kit out right now. It's not listed properly on the site, but he was selling them a lot on the old E3S. If you're gonna go with an HID kit, get it from a guy who does all of the R&D himself on HIS OWN E30.

BMW_M52_M20
12-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Get the HID retrofit kit for your E36...But make you sure you do it right by getting the EURO ELLIPSOIDS.

Also, you have a really clean E36 there..It's got that perfectly sleek look...good job with the car*th-up*

Thanks for the compliment.......I would love to get some ellipsoids and an HID kit, but I am looking at over a $1000cdn and I just don't have that kind of money right now......
Someday maybe.....
Jay

BiBimBap
12-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Hey- I thought you're getting rid of the e36 in the spring???

Furious
12-19-2003, 05:19 PM
i thought osram and silverstar were the same company? osram was US and silverstar was canadian, ,any validity to this?

BMW_M52_M20
12-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BiBimBap
Hey- I thought you're getting rid of the e36 in the spring???

Maybe, I am not sure........We will have to see in the spring.......The way I am feeling now is the car is worth more to me then to somebody else with the Km's it has on it.
Jay

Justin e36
12-20-2003, 03:36 AM
LOL...After having MANY brands of blue bulbs on my old E36 I noticed that they aren't worth $5. I was better off with the stock halogen 9006 bulbs. One time, I was running 55Watt (supposedly) blue bulbs and my left low beam socket burned to a crisp. I wound up replacing the whole socket*thmbsdwn* .

Also, ordering my E46 with the Bi-Xenon headlight option was a no brainer decision. After driving the E46 with the Bi-Xenon's I would NEVER buy another new car without HID lights. The light output and clearness is unmatched*th-up*

Yup, I melted my E36 headlight housing too... it's because the 55-watt Xenons don't fit as snug... and they can slip out of the socket a bit.. as soon as they slip out even a little bit... begins melting the surrounding socket.

however... that's not a problem with the euro ellipsoids where the bulb is "locked" in the housing... also no plastics around the bulb.. so xenon's are fine. I have 3 in my housing, with no problems... (low beam, high beam, and candle-light).

I have a pic of the spread of the euro ellipsoids with xenons if anyone wants to see.