PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way....

BMW_7
12-12-2003, 01:00 AM
to add xenons without buying Ellipsoids?

djcontra
12-21-2003, 05:23 PM
You can add xenons to your stock setup if you can find rebased d2r bulbs that fit the headlamps. They're surprisingly not too hard to find these days, which is good for you. You can try some places like ebay, or xenondepot, etc.

BMW_7
12-22-2003, 06:05 PM
d2r bulbs? What's that? I would need ballasts too right?

djcontra
12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
When you're talking xenon, there are a few things you need to be aware of so you get the right product...

a) Bulb type: D2R for reflector headlamps, or D2S for ellipsoids
b) Bulb base: OEM, 9005, 9006, h1, h4, h7, and OEM or H4-bixenon
c) Colour temperature: 4300k (stock/white), or inbetween is 6000k (violet), or you can get up to 8000k (blue)
**Note: a higher colour temperature actually reduces the ammount of visibile light on the road**
d) Ballasts: Philips are the easiest, but OEM ones will sometimes come with another unit called an igniter. It just means you're in for some extra wiring, but they all work the same.
e) buy headlight relays that allow you to turn on and off your headlamps so they're not on all the time.

I think that's about it...you'll know what I'm talking about when you shop around for some, you'll see what I mean by all the different specs.

AkiraEJ8
12-22-2003, 09:03 PM
maybe a stupid question but im new to alot of this BMW stuff.... but i take it that its different buying xenons for a BMW that it is for other cars?

T.Dot_E30
12-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Dont get xenon mixed up with H.I.Ds(High Intensity Discharge) .....which is what the new bimmers come with.

They are called xenons........but people who dont know wat your talkin about can easliy mix them up and mistake them for xenon bulbs....which we all know is not the same.

So thats why i always refer to them as HID's instead.

djcontra
12-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by AkiraEJ8
maybe a stupid question but im new to alot of this BMW stuff.... but i take it that its different buying xenons for a BMW that it is for other cars?

it's the same. A car that has xenon and a car that xenon was installed afterwards use essentially the same parts. If you're referring to those blue ricer bulbs, that's what we call halogens...they are not xenons.

AkiraEJ8
12-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
it's the same. A car that has xenon and a car that xenon was installed afterwards use essentially the same parts. If you're referring to those blue ricer bulbs, that's what we call halogens...they are not xenons.

ah i was refering to the blue ricer bulbs lol... always heard em called xenons