PDA

View Full Version : I want to modify my DTM splitter, anyone know a good FB body shop?

Autotechnica
12-11-2003, 06:23 PM
I want to shorten my DTM front splitter. Sooner or later I'm going to crack this thing because it sticks out way too much. I think if I use a saw to cut it I'm going to crack the rest of the splitter.

Anyone know a good shop that doesn't charge too much? I'm in the GTA area.

Thanks,

Bryan

Autotechnica
12-11-2003, 06:28 PM
This question is a long shot. But anyone know how long the splitter should stick out in it's shortest adjustable position? If I'm going to cut it, I at least want it to be the correct length.

Thanks,

Bryan

WASABI
12-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Use a dremel with a cutting disc. You may go through a few discs and it might take a while, but I think it will do the job.

djcontra
12-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Take it to Filip (eurostyle). I'm sure he'll be more than happy to do it for you. (maybe he'll do it for free if you let him make a mold of the splitter!)

Autotechnica
12-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Free is good :D I'll contact Phil. But wait, if I let him make a mold that means there's going to be more of them on the street! Nooooo! :P

I was wondering whether I should just chop off the whole splitter and just leave the left and right side lips there or just shorten the splitter. I can't really picture the splitter shortened, it might look funny.

Opinions please..

Thanks guys,

Bryan

ROBM3
12-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Bryan, off topic, but I just bought 2 BTCC Videos you might want !

I just bought the 1995 and 1996 BTCC year in review videos from a local hobby store ! Unbeleivable stuff !

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/img/video/cover/front-sorted/7000000/04/12/63.jpg http://www.dukevideo.com/image/product/3340.jpg

PM me if interested in getting these.

Autotechnica
12-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Check Your PM Rob,

Thanks,

Bry

Mystikal
12-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I was wondering whether I should just chop off the whole splitter and just leave the left and right side lips there or just shorten the splitter. I can't really picture the splitter shortened, it might look funny.

Shorten it. Winglets on the side look funny, and don't fit the (very nice) understated style of the rest of your car. *th-up*

Autotechnica
12-12-2003, 03:45 AM
What do you mean winglets on the side look funny? The splitter comes out to the front, it flushes with the sides.

I don't know if you can see where some lines have been drawn on the splitter, but that's where I intended to cut and shorten it.

I'm either going to shorten the splitter or cut the splitter off completely so only the left and right side lips remain.

Thanks,

Bry

Gamite
12-12-2003, 04:47 AM
it looks like this.. I think this is an acceptable length.

http://www.jimmy540i.com/moron9999991.jpg

Autotechnica
12-12-2003, 05:04 AM
thanks for the link gamite.

Looks close to that, but the splitter in that picture looks more square.

Anyways, I'm not too sure about that length. That's what I meant when I said I thought it would look funny. It makes the car look like it has a double chin rathaer than a splitter.

Bry

gsbadbmr
12-12-2003, 02:46 PM
I would definately shorten it a bit. It will look funny if it sticks out too far. Fil (Eurostyle) is the fiberglass man for the job!!*th-up*

-gsbadbmr

Mystikal
12-12-2003, 03:04 PM
What do you mean winglets on the side look funny? The splitter comes out to the front, it flushes with the sides.

I don't know if you can see where some lines have been drawn on the splitter, but that's where I intended to cut and shorten it.

I'm either going to shorten the splitter or cut the splitter off completely so only the left and right side lips remain.

Thanks,

Bry

That is what I'm talking about. Do not just leave the sides (left and right portions) and attach it, it looks strange.

Autotechnica
12-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys

Here's a picture of my old '92 E36 with only the spoiler lips without the splitter for comparison. Still need your opinion guys! Once I cut it there's no going back!

Thanks again,

Bry

SpoolinS6
12-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys

Here's a picture of my old '92 E36 with only the spoiler lips without the splitter for comparison. Still need your opinion guys! Once I cut it there's no going back!

Thanks again,

Bry

id say stick to that look bry i think it looks fuken hot ! *mw* *mw*

Autotechnica
12-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by M_powered
id say stick to that look bry i think it looks fuken hot ! *mw* *mw*

Thanks. That's what I've decided to do. I'm cutting the entire splitter off and just attaching the lips.

Bry

thinair
12-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Personally I'd just keep it the way it is. Just reverse into parking spaces, or be careful with parking blocks/speed bumps.

windsor318is
12-21-2003, 09:46 AM
dude cut the bitch right where you have your line drawn*th-up*

Autotechnica
12-21-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm worried about those undergound paking lots with those 45 degree elevation bends. One hit and snap, whole thing comes right off. It's funny I've seen it happen to so many Honda guys before with big ass front lip spoilers. It comes off, the guy gets off the car, picks up his splitter, tosses it into his trunk, and drives off :D

Anyways, I'm going to chop the splitter off and seperate the M-tech lip from the spoiler lips. I'm going to sell the M-tech lips, stick the spoiler lips on then just throw the splitter into storage. One day when I have the patience to work on the splitter I'll bolt it on.

So basically it's going to look like my old car with just the left and right side lips.

Bry