PDA

View Full Version : lcd's placement in a e30?

Jase
12-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Lets say you have 2 7.2 lcd's where would you place them?.I have a e30 I also have a ps2 and xbox .One of them will go in as well to play the dvds. It is a look thing.also I have not picked them up as of yet so I am undecided if to get a in dash monitor and monitor or just 2 monitors. It would only be a monitor so it can't take the place of my deck unless I run a music keg or something.Any help would be appreciated.
Jase*th-up*

Mystikal
12-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Under the HVAC controls, mold a panel to flow down to the top of the shift boot, replacing the storage area and ashtray. I've seen it done, and it looks very good. Not practical for navigation display (way too low) but for stationary game playing it's good.

Jase
12-09-2003, 04:02 AM
So i guess I would ahve to move my gauge pod from there. Maybe put it up on the pillar. No gauges in it yet anyhow.What about placement of the second?Or would you not bother?
Jase

Mystikal
12-09-2003, 04:05 AM
Nah, it's pretty redundant in my opinion. The interior is so small, every seat can see one LCD very clearly anyways. I like the idea of going with a seperate DIN headunit and screen down at the bottom rather than a LCD-HU, it gives you greater flexibility.

Jase
12-09-2003, 04:09 AM
For the cost of a monitor I am suprised more people don't do it.
Might be too much for some people.

Slowered318
12-09-2003, 04:16 AM
visors?

Jase
12-09-2003, 04:25 AM
most lcd's are too thick for that. I know they are some out there but not sure if it will have that WOW effect up there.Surely a option though. :)
Jase

tuNED318
12-16-2003, 09:45 AM
take some pics when its done, I want to see what it looks like. I might put an LCD too next winter.:)

nb: its weird how your mind change over the years, hehe, I thought it was rice 2-3 years ago:confused:

Jase
12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Ya i find alot of people think things are rice then change there minds. For it it dosent matter. If i like it i will do it regardless if someone thinks it is rice.But thats just me
Jase

tuNED318
12-16-2003, 11:55 PM
I meant I used to think it was rice, but now I find it totally pimp:)

dunno if thats what you understood, but hell yeah: screw what other people think, if you like it, just do it:)

NorthRyder
12-28-2003, 12:11 AM
put the LCD in place of ur deck and ur deck in the botom thing. or if u have jus the screen ever thought of digital speedo. tose are sick. and u can hide the other screen in the glove box thing. thats what i would do but its not my car so its all up to u mate.

Jase
12-28-2003, 12:13 AM
digital speedos are not that easy to find. A 5.7 Lcd will not fit where the deck is.
Jase

theNoiseJava
12-28-2003, 05:41 PM
I've seen LCDs in the part below the AC controls. It looks good but from the back the shifter gets in the way. I would take the stereo and ac and put them in the bottom thing and put your lcd in their place.

Jase
12-28-2003, 08:46 PM
For looks the LCD looks good in the bottom. What would you worry about the shifter for ?. You wont be driving and looking at it anyway.
Jase

theNoiseJava
12-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Jase
For looks the LCD looks good in the bottom. What would you worry about the shifter for ?. You wont be driving and looking at it anyway.
Jase

I'm saying for the people sitting in the back seat the shifter will be in the way.

You can't use it while you're driving. You wouldn't want to sit in your car and watch tv. What's the point in having one?

BMW BMXer
12-29-2003, 12:33 AM
http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/3136interior1.jpg

Sex.

audiophile
12-29-2003, 04:07 AM
that's what we're talkin about... that's really classy

AlpWhitE46
12-29-2003, 04:34 AM
thats one clean e30!

Jase
12-29-2003, 05:52 AM
thats were to put it!

NorthRyder
12-29-2003, 03:00 PM
i would still get a in dash motorized one and put it where the head unit is. it will just pop out and up. i think it would be amazing for navigation. put the pic looks amazing still.

_dk_
12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
i've been thinking about this as well-

there are plenty of units available w/ mounting carriages intended to fit in the back of a headrest-

when i was still into VW's i sold a clutch and flywheel to a guy who had such a display installed in his flip-down sunshade.

laws where i am in california, USA say that you can't have such hardware installed in such a way that its primary use is to the driver- but i know this is a canadian board, & i don't know how legalities are north of the border.

upshot of all this is, his was on the passenger side, but i've been thinking of putting one in my driver's side visor and just not using it while i'm driving- when i'm on the road, flip it up and it's essentially invisible, and more importantly, safe from clumsy passengers and spilled beverages; because such things happen.

(to address the above "why" question, my screen will be connected to a computer that'll have other uses than playing video, such as scanning for wireless networks, checking email, playing mp3s, and eventually, tuning a stand-alone fuel injection system.)

if i can't make that work, i'll probably go with a flip-out DIN unit- but i'd rather not, because i'd like to keep a head unit that's focused on good sound reproduction in the car.

Miguel
12-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by audiophile
that's what we're talkin about... that's really classy

Did you notice the blue chrome deck? *no-no* *thmbsdwn*

Jase
12-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
Did you notice the blue chrome deck? *no-no* *thmbsdwn*

It looks like that sony one with the hard drive. I want to go with just the one I have in the console for now. I wa going to put 2 in the head rests but maybe later.
Jase