PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Mother's Clay Bar?

WASABI
04-25-2002, 12:22 AM
How does it work? I'd like to do it this weekend, but have never used it before, got any tips? How well does it take out oversprayed paint?

KIRASIR
04-25-2002, 01:03 AM
Wash the car, then use some of the clean soapy water, take the bar and just GLIDE it over the paint on the water. Don't push it into the paint, just GLIDE! When it gets contaminated with stuff carefully fold it, and do it again. Keep on doing it till you are done with the car. The wax and polish the car.

You shoudn't use the bar often, maybe once a year at most since it's a pretty rough abrasive. Use lots of water, and just GLIDE the bar over the paint. You can use the bar on at most 3 cars then it just gets too dirty. Remember to always fold it to expose a clean surface, otherwise, it becomes a sand paper, and will scratch your paint.

SL

330DTM
04-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Just make sure you use some polish and wax after the claying process.

I often found that if I did not do this, which i exactly did in the past, the oxidation would simply kiss onto the body panels again and forcing me to clay the car again. This being less than one month and the grime is alreayd on my car!

Then again my garage has crap and it never gets parked in the garage!

WASABI
04-25-2002, 04:10 PM
I'm gonna go try it out.

thanx doods !!

KIRASIR
04-25-2002, 05:27 PM
You just have to be patient. TAKE YOUR TIME!

SL

Originally posted by saj328
I'm gonna go try it out.

thanx doods !!

djcontra
04-25-2002, 08:32 PM
it might be easier to use a mild rubbing compound
but i dunno
i've never used the clay bar

Softy
04-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Clay bars are incredible for overspray and industrial contaminents. If your finish feels rough to the touch the clay bar will allow you to slide across the hood Dukes od Hazards style.

I prefer using an instant detailer of somekind as a lubricant rather than soap. Most of the clay bars out these days are non-abrasive so you can use them as often as you like, however, just be careful that you're always using a fresh part of the bar as the dirt you collect is abrasive.

If you use it and wax the car properly you won't need to do it more than once a year.

Lip
04-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I use Zaino *th-up*

WASABI
05-02-2002, 08:00 PM
I've got mother's instant detailer, will that work ?

So wash the car thoroughly, don't dry it off, spray instant detailer or soak surface with water/soap mix with sponge, skim the surface with the clay, then what , rinse, dry (chamois), and wax ???

Originally posted by Softy
I prefer using an instant detailer of somekind as a lubricant rather than soap.

Softy
05-02-2002, 11:03 PM
Wash and dry the car. Spray instant detailer as the lubricant, and slide the bar back and forth over the detailer. If it starts to dry up add more detailer. When the bar glides smoothly without catching anything move onto the next spot. Then just wipe off the detailer with a clean chamois.. if it's dried up then just use a tiny bit more detailer to clean it up.

Then make sure you wax it thoroughly.

WASABI
05-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the tips guys !!!

I did it this afternoon, the clay bar is on sale at Crappy tire this week. I must say it worked pretty good, I could actually hear it take the rough stuff off.

I give it two thumbs up ! *th-up* *th-up*