PDA

View Full Version : E30 ellipsoids, H4 low beams? Whats the difference?

BMW_M52_M20
11-30-2003, 04:24 AM
Okay my 325e has the crappy sealed beams which emit terrible light........I want to upgrade my lights but I don't know what I can get.......
I know the new e30's seem to have a projection style light...........What can I do, or can someone explain this to me?
Thanks,
Also anywhere in the GTA I can get these new lights?
Thanks

Jon@Bimmersport
11-30-2003, 04:38 AM
the projectors are superior to all beams, the euro projectors are in fact better, but US ones M50E30 is selling for about 200

Mystikal
11-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Everyone seems to think that the ellipsoids are better than the H4's, but that's just false rumours. The was a guy on bfc that had comparision pics of US ellips vs. Hella H4 and he says the H4's are way better.

Also, never listen to anyone that says Euro ellips are in any way better than US. It is the same setup, only the Euro ones have the smilie at the bottom which does nothing but throw the unused light directly in front of the car.

Get Hella H4's, and I already posted a good shop selling them, in Markham. http://www.raceraccessories.com/

BMW_M52_M20
11-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Cool, I didn't see it on the website, just hella foglights.......DO you know how much and if anything else is involved installing them?
Thanks
Jay

Mystikal
11-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Yeah, he is the sole supplier of Hella stuff for aftermarket in this area, he can order anything. Years ago mine were bought from him. Call the place and get a quote.

They are also $50USD from http://www.bavarianautosport.com/shop.asp

Jon@Bimmersport
11-30-2003, 06:37 PM
How would a projected beam not be better than a normal light?

european headlights also have a better projection beam than normal lights, why do you think euro ellipsoids are better than US spec for E36?

Mystikal
11-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
How would a projected beam not be better than a normal light?

european headlights also have a better projection beam than normal lights, why do you think euro ellipsoids are better than US spec for E36?

I'm just passing on a testimonial. We'll line up our cars next meet during the night, see which is better.

What, are you generalizing all European light assemblies? I've seen pics of each taken apart, the only difference is that the Euro ellips have the smilie, which does nothing for functionality. This is confirmed by the owner of MMSport, who makes HID and DDE kits for E30s. He himself has worked with plenty of each type, and says there is no difference.

Jon@Bimmersport
11-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
I'm just passing on a testimonial. We'll line up our cars next meet during the night, see which is better.

What, are you generalizing all European light assemblies? I've seen pics of each taken apart, the only difference is that the Euro ellips have the smilie, which does nothing for functionality. This is confirmed by the owner of MMSport, who makes HID and DDE kits for E30s. He himself has worked with plenty of each type, and says there is no difference.

ya lets line em up...because it makes more sense, with HID..would u rather have it projected or just in a headlight? There wouldnt be a real sharp cut off..and wouldnt extend as far.

Mystikal
11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
ya lets line em up...because it makes more sense, with HID..would u rather have it projected or just in a headlight? There wouldnt be a real sharp cut off..and wouldnt extend as far.

Halogens can only throw so much light output. With HID's, the ellips are much better since they control the sheer brightness so much better. But with just 55W bulbs, the less restrictive setup of the H4's puts more light out.

Jon@Bimmersport
11-30-2003, 10:40 PM
I c that sorta make sense...

Soldo
11-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Ya i think what mystikal is saying makes sense, however, the smiles DO serve a purpose, function wise, they allow the light, as you said yourself to be projected better. But H4's might be better as well since they use more power, CORRECT?!

Mystikal
12-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Ya i think what mystikal is saying makes sense, however, the smiles DO serve a purpose, function wise, they allow the light, as you said yourself to be projected better. But H4's might be better as well since they use more power, CORRECT?!

No, the smilie is just the little semi-circle at the bottom of the low beam. All it does is allow the non-projected light that is restricted from being thrown forward out of the assembly towards the ground directly in front of the car, meaning not visible from behind the wheel. The main portion and shape of all internal geometry is otherwise identical.

And regarding power, the both use 55W bulbs as standard. The power usage is identical given the same bulb.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
No, the smilie is just the little semi-circle at the bottom of the low beam. All it does is allow the non-projected light that is restricted from being thrown forward out of the assembly towards the ground directly in front of the car, meaning not visible from behind the wheel. The main portion and shape of all internal geometry is otherwise identical.

And regarding power, the both use 55W bulbs as standard. The power usage is identical given the same bulb.

wat r u einstein? all that internal geometrical mumbo jumbo makes me hungry :D

Mystikal
12-01-2003, 01:49 AM
Sometimes I like to slip out of the DJ-Mixmaster-Myst personality and speak intelligently. It gets me around in life. :D

NickP
12-01-2003, 01:04 PM
As an aside I have 2 pairs of Hella H4 kits for sale... new never opened, includes Hella bulbs and everything you need to upgrade.

$75 a pair

PS: Terry I know you'll be reading this :)

bmwm5lover
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
i still want them man... ill pm u soon1

Jase
12-02-2003, 03:18 AM
So to upgrade you need the projector light?. The sealed beams I know are crap.So i have to find a projectror light or just buy a h4 light?

Mystikal
12-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Jase
So to upgrade you need the projector light?. The sealed beams I know are crap.So i have to find a projectror light or just buy a h4 light?

H4

Soldo
12-02-2003, 03:58 AM
so why do people make a big stink about the H7 fog light conversion for the E36?!
Isn't H7 better then H1?!

Mystikal
12-02-2003, 04:13 AM
You are referring to a bulb size. That's like saying a size 7 shoe is better than a size 6. It's the reflectors inside that matter the most.

This is strictly an E30 talk, don't try to apply the terms or theories to other models. *wave*

Soldo
12-02-2003, 04:18 AM
allllllllllright, fak yourself too!
hehehehe, just help me out here, isn't one brighter then the other?!

Mystikal
12-02-2003, 01:20 PM
A bulb is just a shape, it's the assembly and wattage that matters.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
so wouldnt the ellipsoid..which is a small ball with reflectors put a BETTER output since there is less travel for the light to go, only in the direction its pointed to..rather just have a bulb, with reflectors around it? ...like, if u roll up a piece of paper...and put a flash light in it..and the ending is the same size as the begining (the rolled up paper) wouldnt the light shine MORE where you want it to than if u jus shine the flashlight?

BMW_M52_M20
12-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by NickP
As an aside I have 2 pairs of Hella H4 kits for sale... new never opened, includes Hella bulbs and everything you need to upgrade.

$75 a pair

PS: Terry I know you'll be reading this :)

I am very interested, where in toronto are you located?
Jay