PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think?


T-spec
11-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Anyone ever see this style of hood on an e36, inverted scoop to pull all the heat out of the rad, made out of CARBON FIBER:cool: think it would look alright:confused: it would be totally functional*th-up*

Either way I'm gonna try to make this design;)

T-spec
11-22-2003, 09:00 AM
subtle, not very noticable from the front

bimmermafia
11-22-2003, 02:19 PM
it will look sick ive seen a few bmws with that style hood and it looks amazing i have something like that going on aswell in the making


Billy

djcontra
11-22-2003, 03:35 PM
It's alright I guess. I prefer the look of two smaller inverted scoops on either side of hood. What happens if it rains and you have one of those hoods with the large inverted scoop? On our 6cyl E36s, I could see the water draining down onto the engine fan, and then spattering onto the ignition coils stalling the car :(

T-spec
11-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
It's alright I guess. I prefer the look of two smaller inverted scoops on either side of hood. What happens if it rains and you have one of those hoods with the large inverted scoop? On our 6cyl E36s, I could see the water draining down onto the engine fan, and then spattering onto the ignition coils stalling the car :(

Got it covered, there will be a shroud built around the rad directing the air up throught the scoop and any water down to a drain tube(sealed off from the rest of the engine bay), no mechanicl fan, twin electrics on the front of the rad.

T-spec
11-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by bimmermafia
it will look sick ive seen a few bmws with that style hood and it looks amazing
Billy

got any pics of the ones you've seen by any chance?

Jon@Bimmersport
11-22-2003, 06:40 PM
i think it'd look good..but if u made it look more subtle..however, dont copy that mustang style one where it comes up like really high! lol but i can sorta picture it on ur car from ur sig pic..it wouldnt look bad...remember, ppl may think ur car looks ricey, but then again, all they'll see is ur rear end once the whole car is done ;)

jeremy
11-22-2003, 06:52 PM
looks like a very interesting project......how much depth will you have to work with once you put the 350 in there ?> *th-up*

Slowered318
11-22-2003, 06:56 PM
thanks a lot.. now you got my mind working on the idea too

WASABI
11-22-2003, 11:56 PM
But it won't be as big though right ? Looks good, specially if it serves a funtion. *th-up*

FastM3
11-23-2003, 01:08 AM
It would look good but just not that large on a BMW IMO, but definitely something to think about.

Tspec what do you do for a living, or are these production things on your spare time?

T-spec
11-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Pasta
It would look good but just not that large on a BMW IMO, but definitely something to think about.

Tspec what do you do for a living, or are these production things on your spare time?

The scoop will not be that large, just that style, the way I want to make it, you shouldn't really be able to see it when looking at the front of the car.

I work as a offset web press lithographer and mechanical diagnostition, basically I run a high speed computer controlled printings press and diagnose and repair mechanical and basic electrical problems when they arise. I only work every other week but get the equivalent of a full years pay, so on my weeks off I spend my time and $$$$ modding my ride.

I'm planning on opening a custom machining and fabrication shop as soon as my mortage is paid off (approx 3 1/2 years):P

T-spec
11-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
looks like a very interesting project......how much depth will you have to work with once you put the 350 in there ?> *th-up*

supprisingly a lot more room than the stock M42:confused:

Thanks for the feedback guys, any other suggestions?

djcontra
11-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by T-spec
supprisingly a lot more room than the stock M42:confused:

Thanks for the feedback guys, any other suggestions?

Really?? To be on the safe side, perhaps you should design it after the engine swap just in case.

T-spec
11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
I hear you man, but have already taken all factors into consideration, it will have about a 2 1/2" raised section in the middle following the stock bmw body lines just so I can stick a monster 4" tall k&n under there.*th-up*

MorningCruiser
11-27-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm very new here, but I guess I can shed some light onto what the hoodscoops are used for.

They are in fact partially for what you want to do with them, assist in rad cooling, the other big thing they do is reduce front end lift. A lot of cars (okay, most) don't have underbody aerosheets that direct the air away from the front of the car, so when you hit high speeds you get "front end lift". I don't think too many BMW owners experience this, but it's really common on low end cars like Civics and stuff.

So, not only will you have better cooling, you'll have more front end downforce!

Just figured I'd chime in here and say that. I figure it'd look pretty good, but it can be done more effectively with two vents offcenter. However, it looks kinda funny on some cars.

T-spec
11-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
I'm very new here, but I guess I can shed some light onto what the hoodscoops are used for.

They are in fact partially for what you want to do with them, assist in rad cooling, the other big thing they do is reduce front end lift. A lot of cars (okay, most) don't have underbody aerosheets that direct the air away from the front of the car, so when you hit high speeds you get "front end lift". I don't think too many BMW owners experience this, but it's really common on low end cars like Civics and stuff.

So, not only will you have better cooling, you'll have more front end downforce!

Just figured I'd chime in here and say that. I figure it'd look pretty good, but it can be done more effectively with two vents offcenter. However, it looks kinda funny on some cars.
Cool, thanks for the advise man*th-up*

Miguel
11-29-2003, 03:39 PM
...just don't let the dtmpower guys know about this.. :rolleyes:

MorningCruiser
12-02-2003, 02:28 AM
^ I don't get it? :confused:

T-spec
12-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
^ I don't get it? :confused:

Inside joke:D