PDA

View Full Version : anyonw make a glass e36 sunroof replacement?

finale36
11-22-2003, 12:01 AM
call me crazy but i was surprised that with all the weird mods and obsessive headlight fetishists out there there that nobody has made a drop in glass sunroof replacement for the e36. apparently the 1999 318is never had one available to it. has anyone seen/come across such and item?

Jack T.
11-22-2003, 12:46 AM
i never have seen one, but i would REALLY like someone to start building them. . .

djcontra
11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
you could always cut the existing sunroof leaving just the frame (or remove the metal all together?) and install a piece of glass. As long as it fits perfectly, it shouldn't crack when sliding it back either.

finale36
11-25-2003, 12:43 AM
installing a sunroof inside the moonroof would work, i don't think i'd want to sacrifice my current "moonroof" (is that what they call the metal roof?) tho. i was hoping perhaps someone out there was making a drop in unit, perhaps for winter/summer. maybe someone out there familair with the various aftermarket sunrrofs could comment on this.

ZiMMie
11-25-2003, 02:41 PM
dont forget about the e30's. i will be intrested in a e30 glass sunroof .

finale36
11-25-2003, 02:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33652&item=2444626567

looks like someone out there at some point made something to aledgedly fit into an e30. i'm not familiar with them myself, for mine i'd like to kept it electric and just let hte sun in thru plexi or glass.

WASABI
11-25-2003, 04:18 PM
I guess the ones off the e46 are different size?

finale36
11-25-2003, 04:46 PM
it looks like the e46 sunroofs are larger just by seeing them on the street. it also looks like they fit into the roof better on the newer models, mine has a black rubber edge around it and i don't see that on the newer models. i was hoping to find something i could drop into my existing sunroof "tracks" and not go out and just buy a new electric sunroof all together. i figured with there being a dozen different types of rear tailights and oodles of body kits someone might have built a drop in roof too. i'm considering getting a scrap moonroof and seeing if sometihng would fit in there. seeing as i woke up to 3 inches of snow over the roof this monring i don't think i'll be too axious to find one for a number of months now.

finale36
11-25-2003, 11:19 PM
i foudn an older thread on bimmer forums, seems other people have been wondering the same thing.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111607&perpage=25&highlight=glass%20sunroof&pagenumber=2

moral of the story so far is some people may have seen older bmw's with glass roofs, but most like a dealer installed option of a 3rd party unit. people have checked the etk and there's no records of one being offered for the e36 specifically.

snd84318i
11-26-2003, 01:21 AM
i love my monroof on my bmw . i open it every day . i hope for no rain . its getting cold here in nyc i just turn on my heat and open my roof . plus i smoke so theres no need to open anything else lol . it would be cool to have a direct fit glass roof for the summer ,hell i wouldnt injoy it anyway . it would be pulled back into the roof out of sight lol . still be cool though :O)

finale36
11-26-2003, 02:13 AM
i was just in nyc (manhattan) 6 weeks ago, and there was a bmw parked on every corner (seriously) with the mirrors folded up, i saw more 7 and 5 series that 3, there's 745li's all over. i especialy like the tripple decker parking
Is there a special 18 month long intesive driving course for driving in manhattan?

snd84318i
11-26-2003, 05:45 AM
lol im seeing alot of bmw's here too . 3series though , i think more that because i have one now i notice them more . about that course , driving in the city ( manhattan as you know it ) is like the 5 mile an hour autobaun . everyone races to get to the next red light a block away . but you got to drive without hasitating . if you do there we will pick on you . lol working for the dmv here i see alot of things . we here give the test for the lerners permit in about 10 languages . i always asked why , all of our signs that are posted on the streets and freeways are in english .

///M3
11-26-2003, 11:58 AM
why would u want a glass moonroof for the summer u would just wannna open it anyways...i know u can get custom ones made

finale36
11-26-2003, 12:52 PM
sometimes it rains, sometimes it's cold, sometimes it's too hot. i just said summer / winter as an example. i don't think i'll be opening my roof frozen this winter and for tall people sitting next to a bare glass roof it's cold on the head. we have a "reagular" sunroof on the 2004 volvo v40 and it's nice to have the options. i imagine the metal ones perform better and are certianly more secure than a glass one.

snd84318i
11-27-2003, 12:03 AM
i ment it as a joke . i think that it would just give it a different look on my 318i and i agree with finale36 the metal roof because of its strength will most likely perform better . less flex . in the end would not do the swap onless i change my mind lol . i still have alot to do on my car anyway so the glass moonroof wil have to wait.

finale36
11-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by snd84318i
lol im seeing alot of bmw's here too . 3series though , i think more that because i have one now i notice them more . about that course , driving in the city ( manhattan as you know it ) is like the 5 mile an hour autobaun . everyone races to get to the next red light a block away . but you got to drive without hasitating . if you do there we will pick on you . lol working for the dmv here i see alot of things . we here give the test for the lerners permit in about 10 languages . i always asked why , all of our signs that are posted on the streets and freeways are in english .

i'm also not sure where people get gasoline in nyc, i only saw 2 gas stations, loaded with cabs. otherwise, i found it really easy to get around the city on foot and by subway, the people were great and the shopping was sickening when i got the visa bills.
at least your signs are in english, in quebec, english signs are outlawed. i believe the trans canada highway has to be be bilingual, but forget everthing else , it's en francais.

it's a great city, i haven't been able to find a black and white cookie anywhere up here.

snd84318i
11-27-2003, 04:21 AM
where were you ,in the lower part of the city or maybe mid town .
on the west side theres more likely to be more if you were to cross the bridges into brooklyn or queens you would have seen more lol. isnt canada a french speaking country ? anyway NY would do that to your credit card lol . the best way to get around in the city the the trains and buses ,in all they do run great . but nothing beats driving to work in 45 mins with traffic . and 20 without :O) take care

finale36
11-27-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by snd84318i
where were you ,in the lower part of the city or maybe mid town .
on the west side theres more likely to be more if you were to cross the bridges into brooklyn or queens you would have seen more lol. isnt canada a french speaking country ? anyway NY would do that to your credit card lol . the best way to get around in the city the the trains and buses ,in all they do run great . but nothing beats driving to work in 45 mins with traffic . and 20 without :O) take care

we stayed on 83rd and didn't go north of that much, but we wandered pretty much from 83rd to battery park in 3 days, stopping at tiffany's twice. actually we were there at battery park the afternoon the ferry crashed, now we were totally lost looking for the boat tours (different port) and didn't see the crash or anything, but it was really rough out there. i guess nyc itself is comprised of the 5 boroughs, we didn't leave manhantan, no time. yes, french is an officail language, but it still irks me to no end that there can be NO english only signs in quebec, I'm not sure if that applies to non english or french signs, but i bet they got fiens for that too. it's against their law, so much for equal offical languages, people shoud be able to choose.
i quite enjoyed the state sales tax! it's was like everything was on sale! tho i don't know how buffalo, which is in ny state charges .5% less sales tax then i paid in nyc.

snd84318i
11-27-2003, 07:52 PM
yes nyc is the 5 boroughs ,but manhattan is also called nyc . im just used to calling the boroughs nyc. about buffalo and nyc tax , sence we have so many people here and so many visiters . theres somuch money here so you tax more so that you can get more imo . i dont like it here . but i cant move out . no money to do so . not enough anyway . i want to move more south like Virgina . that ferry crash was so horrible . body pieces everywhere they said . because of 911 though theres always there first thought that comes into our heads . anyway going out to moms house on this turkey day . later