PDA

View Full Version : some lady hit my car

sjinto
11-09-2003, 05:33 PM
i think the driver's side door will have to be replaced...the woman basically backed into my car straight out of her driveway...

the pics don't really do it justice...the door handle mechanism is screwed too ...

it's tough having to look at it everytime i go for a ride:mad:

can anybody guess how much a new door might cost (incl. paint and minor work to repair mouldings)

sjinto
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
oops

sjinto
11-09-2003, 05:35 PM
sorry....:idea:

M50E30
11-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Don't go through insurance. Just find a good replacement door (PM Bimmersport for that) and how much to paint it. Then get the person that hit you to give you cash and maybe an extra $100 for not calling the insurance company!

Mystikal
11-09-2003, 05:46 PM
I second that idea.

Mitch555
11-09-2003, 06:11 PM
There is no need to replace the door. Just get a good bodyshop to remove the dent and get the door repainted. Get the lady to pay for it all.

bart320i
11-10-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Mitch555
There is no need to replace the door. Just get a good bodyshop to remove the dent and get the door repainted. Get the lady to pay for it all.

that door doesn't look repairable. If even it did get repared then you'd be asking for problems later like rust, bondo chiping, weak structure.

Mitch555
11-10-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by bart320i
that door doesn't look repairable. If even it did get repared then you'd be asking for problems later like rust, bondo chiping, weak structure.

That dent is easily repairable by any good bodyshop man. If you take it somewhere cheap to get it done you'll definately see rust, and bondo chiping after a few months or years. That dent will not effect the structure at all either.

sjinto
11-10-2003, 02:15 PM
looks like there are some differing opinions.... i'm obviously leaning towards replacing the entire door but i'm not sure how much that will cost

the lady has already pleaded her case not to go through insurance... *mumble*

how much do you guess replacing the door will cost?

aaron_silva
11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
That door is definitely repairable. A good body shop will not fill with bondo. For a ballpark figure, my mom just got her Landcruiser repaired and a very quality body shop. Her rear fender/fender flare were dented badly and scraped. The bumper also had scrapes on it. They spent 6 hours on the quater panel and another 2 on paint. Total cost plus some other odds and ends that needed to be fixed was $3000 USD. For your door (which doesnt look half as bad) I would say around $1000-$1500 USD. A good body shop would repair the door, take off all window and door trim, primer, paint, and reassemble.

Good luck.
-Aaron

sjinto
11-11-2003, 12:49 PM
first estimate to repair - $2,000 :eek:

and this is with a used door (shell only)... the window, motors, locks etc.. will have to be switched... new moulding req'd as well

BMW_7
11-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Holle shit! i need to get my fender repainted/dented out, and my gray moldings painted. I hope it wont cost that bad.