PDA

View Full Version : Critics Please

SpudBoy
11-03-2003, 10:19 PM
I have a pic and want to know what the other photographers think.

Focus blows toxic puke...

but is it over exposed too?

SpudBoy
11-03-2003, 10:24 PM
LMAO now here's the pic

jello_g
11-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Dark subject with bright background. Most cameras have problems in this case. Your picture is no exception. It's too dark (under exposed). You can fix this by manually compensating with +EV. Or if your camera is capable, spot meter a neutral gray area on the subject. Failing that, you can use an external handheld metering device to read ambient light falling on the subject.

SpudBoy
11-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by jello_g
Dark subject with bright background. Most cameras have problems in this case. Your picture is no exception. It's too dark (under exposed). You can fix this by manually compensating with +EV. Or if your camera is capable, spot meter a neutral gray area on the subject. Failing that, you can use an external handheld metering device to read ambient light falling on the subject.

thanks jello*th-up* I used the exposure suggested by the external meter. I posted this angle because you don't see the M coupe from this angle very often. I have a pic of 3/4 rear with the yellow keg backdrop, but lets face it... that angle has been done to death. No point.
thanks,
Graham

jello_g
11-03-2003, 11:07 PM
You're welcome. Graham. :) If you want, you can e-mail me a higher-res copy and I'll see what can be done: jellospeed@rogers.com

jeremy
11-04-2003, 01:34 AM
is that the markham road and progress keg ?

djcontra
11-04-2003, 03:21 AM
fixed it up a bit, but yeah, it's way too saturated to begin with, and it looks like lighting was against you (look how washed out the sky is); but a very good attempt none the less!! keep at it, and then work up to night shots (very hard to get right)

jello_g
11-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Saturation isn't the only problem. There's also too much contrast. As you can see below, when the shadow details are brought out, highlights pay the price. It's possible to maintain some highlight detail, but a super-high res raw file would be required as a working source document. From a photographer's perspective, one way to combat the problem is to take the same photograph using fill-flash. But even that is no easy route, as you have to balance exposure as well as colour temperature.

http://members.rogers.com/versatileracing/MaxBimmer/Misc/Spudboy%20pict.jpg

SpudBoy
11-04-2003, 08:35 PM
thanks for the tips and pointers guys.

Jer: yaa that's the picturesque Tuxedo Court in the background.

BimmerMan
11-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Tried to adjust the brightness of the background just for kicks.