PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass kit

///MsAniTy
10-23-2003, 08:37 PM
if i were to get a fiberglass kit on my car how stable is the kit compared to plastic and also would i have alot problems if i kit it a bit lets say over a speed bump?

Jon@Bimmersport
10-23-2003, 10:12 PM
jus get plastic..why do u think they use it on boob jobs instead of fiberglass? it is more firm. ;) lol

mkgino
10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Some of the short comings of fiber glass is that it can crack, whereas plastic would not if it was hit with like a rock on the road

Plastic is better

bart320i
10-23-2003, 10:26 PM
I have a fiber glass kit on my car and have not problems at all. Just as long as your car is not slammed to the ground I wouldn't worry about it

Eurostyle
10-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
jus get plastic..why do u think they use it on boob jobs instead of fiberglass? it is more firm. ;) lol

Jon, just shut up*uzi* :moon:

Eurostyle
10-24-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Some of the short comings of fiber glass is that it can crack, whereas plastic would not if it was hit with like a rock on the road

Plastic is better

Plastic CAN crack and break (jsut ask MatyBMW!), it can take a bit more then SOME fiberglass (the ones made too thick and not flexible enaugh). Put plastic cant be fixed as easy (and to the same exted) as fiberglass. Lot of high end cars use it and they are fine (eg Corvette!), and ALL trucks have fiberglass fronts and they see 1.000.000+ Km!!!:D But if its a real consern just get front plastic and fiberglass rear, you'll never scrape them unless your car is totally slamed...

mkgino
10-24-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
Plastic CAN crack and break (jsut ask MatyBMW!), it can take a bit more then SOME fiberglass (the ones made too thick and not flexible enaugh). Put plastic cant be fixed as easy (and to the same exted) as fiberglass. Lot of high end cars use it and they are fine (eg Corvette!), and ALL trucks have fiberglass fronts and they see 1.000.000+ Km!!!:D But if its a real consern just get front plastic and fiberglass rear, you'll never scrape them unless your car is totally slamed...

Well plastic is better than fiberglass is. I have driven my car for about 2 months with my rieger lip on (fiberglass) and my OEM front skirt (plastic or whatever). The fiberglass looks like it needs to be repainted almost.

I dont understand it, it even looks like the consistency of the painted fiberglass is different from the plastic (i.e. worse). I can notice it, but probably only because it is my car.

Eurostyle
10-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Well plastic is better than fiberglass is. I have driven my car for about 2 months with my rieger lip on (fiberglass) and my OEM front skirt (plastic or whatever). The fiberglass looks like it needs to be repainted almost.

I dont understand it, it even looks like the consistency of the painted fiberglass is different from the plastic (i.e. worse). I can notice it, but probably only because it is my car.

You cant blame a bad paint job on the fiberglass! The all the Corvetts and trucks would need constant painting!!? Its all in the prep work; if done right the paint should be the same, jsut look at E36_freaks car, the eyelids (i painted and preped for 3 hours!) look better and have less stone chips then the rest of the car, that started getting stone chips the second week after it got out of the paint shop!!! A lot of fiberglass manufacturers use WAX as the mold releas, so if that is not taken off completely the paint wont stick! Its just like trying to paint your car after you waxed it!!!

WASABI
10-26-2003, 02:30 AM
I've had mine for 2 years, it's still in one piece, however, there are hairline fractures that are visible up close. Stone chips are harsh because they create pin size holes, but this can probably prevented with more layers of fiberglass. For the price, I think it's pretty good.

Autotechnica
10-28-2003, 12:46 AM
I've had Fiberglass front lips mounted to my M3 front bumper. Fiberglass is more flexable but is VERY easy to repair. I don't know why, but paint chips off fiberglass a lot easier than on plastic. Stone chips are a lot more visable on Fiberglass compared to plastic.

I would get plastic front peices and fiberglass rear wings, rear bumpers, etc.

low_bmw
10-28-2003, 12:50 AM
I have fiberglass and there are chunks missing under the bumper. As long as you don't park into curbs or hit anything the you'll be fine. Mine's fuked up because it hits the ground about 30 times a day, but it is underneath where it is not visible.

djcontra
10-28-2003, 03:58 AM
Low_Bmw, you should buy a splitter to protect your bumper when it scrapes. It might not be a bad investment

low_bmw
10-28-2003, 08:16 PM
My buddy had splitters and I sold them for him. The car was almost touching the ground when I tried putting them on. I wounldn't be able to get in my driveway. Right now it just clears my driveway by a cm.