PDA

View Full Version : Painting door handles, has anyone taken them out of an E36?

Adriano
10-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, what's the easiest way to pull the door handles out of an E36 so I can repaint them?

MP328
10-04-2003, 05:02 PM
i think mkgino painted his but he never took them off, just put tape around them from what i remember, but i might be wrong

Eurostyle
10-04-2003, 06:10 PM
We did it on E36_freaks car...the best is to take off the plastic around the handles and paint it off the car (it has a clip behind it that slides and then the plastis comes off). The handle itself can now be painted on the car (very easy to mask off)...

Adriano
10-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
We did it on E36_freaks car...the best is to take off the plastic around the handles and paint it off the car (it has a clip behind it that slides and then the plastis comes off). The handle itself can now be painted on the car (very easy to mask off)...

Cool, thanks for the info

Mitch555
10-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Adriano
Hey guys, what's the easiest way to pull the door handles out of an E36 so I can repaint them?

I wouldn't do it if I were you. It looks nice, but when you go to open the door the paint will crack over a short period of time cuz the handle is not stiff. It bends when you open the door.

e36_freak
10-04-2003, 09:41 PM
my handles have been painted for quite some time now.... i don't seem to have a problem with paint cracking

Mitch555
10-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by e36_freak
my handles have been painted for quite some time now.... i don't seem to have a problem with paint cracking

How long have you had it painted for?

Kal
10-04-2003, 09:52 PM
mine have been painted for over a year now and show no signs of cracking

Mitch555
10-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Maybe you guyz have door handles that don't bend that much. Mine bend when you grab the door handle.

mkgino
10-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Mitch555
Maybe you guyz have door handles that don't bend that much. Mine bend when you grab the door handle.

Nope, no cracking here.

Mitch555
10-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Nope, no cracking here.

FAK!!! Maybe I'm the only one that has soft door handles!!!

custom_bimmer
10-06-2003, 05:24 AM
i took the plastic trim off from around my door handles and i broke the top 2 tabs off of them. i am not too sure how you could get them off with out with out braking them. to get the accual handle OUT, you HAVE to take the window out. then it only has a few 10mm bolts holding it in, if i remember right.

-keegan

Eurostyle
10-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by custom_bimmer
i took the plastic trim off from around my door handles and i broke the top 2 tabs off of them. i am not too sure how you could get them off with out with out braking them. to get the accual handle OUT, you HAVE to take the window out. then it only has a few 10mm bolts holding it in, if i remember right.

-keegan

There is a way! The bodyshop where Mike's (E36_freak) car was getting done broke one of them too*mumble* Then I looked at it and there in a locking mechanism that you have to slide (like a clip) in order to releas that plastic...if not then you end up braking the 2 little tabs....

Adriano
10-06-2003, 11:48 AM

-keegan

$hit!:mad: Do I really have to take the windows out to remove the door handles?? That means 4 windows*sad* ! I really want to paint the back of them to prevent chipping. Is this the ONLY way???

Kal
10-06-2003, 04:19 PM
they wont chip man .. just try it out .. its only door handles .. its not like ur redoing ur whole car ... just mask the area off and paint them ...

Adriano
10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Kal
they wont chip man .. just try it out .. its only door handles .. its not like ur redoing ur whole car ... just mask the area off and paint them ...

Yea, but I'm kinda anal like that! :moon:

Kal
10-06-2003, 05:21 PM
hey i was thinking though u do all this extreme shit to ur car nehow .. why not shave ur door handles and get poppers...maybe possibly shave the moldings as well ..?

just a thought

Adriano
10-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Kal
hey i was thinking though u do all this extreme shit to ur car nehow .. why not shave ur door handles and get poppers...maybe possibly shave the moldings as well ..?

just a thought

Actually that is my future plan but my paint is still very good on my doors and this is a project when my doors get scratched or dinged.

custom_bimmer
10-07-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Adriano
$hit!:mad: Do I really have to take the windows out to remove the door handles?? That means 4 windows*sad* ! I really want to paint the back of them to prevent chipping. Is this the ONLY way???

hey, in order to get the accual handle out of the door i think you do have to take the windows out (which is a bitch). but if you are just looking to paint them i WOULDENT bother. if it were me i would just take the trim off and mask them. they would be VERY easy to mask, and i dont think you would even notice the difference. i am a PERFECTIONEST and i would not take them out for this job. besides i think you would have a difficult time getting the freshly painter door handles back in to the door with out scratchin' them. by the way Adriano, phat car!

-keegan

Adriano
10-07-2003, 11:11 AM
hey, in order to get the accual handle out of the door i think you do have to take the windows out (which is a bitch). but if you are just looking to paint them i WOULDENT bother. if it were me i would just take the trim off and mask them. they would be VERY easy to mask, and i dont think you would even notice the difference. i am a PERFECTIONEST and i would not take them out for this job. besides i think you would have a difficult time getting the freshly painter door handles back in to the door with out scratchin' them. by the way Adriano, phat car!

-keegan

Ok, thanks for the info. Mabey I will just leave them on. Appreciate the tip custom_bimmer*th-up*