PDA

View Full Version : Ok you audio freaks..

Gamite
09-25-2003, 04:23 PM
I have a slight problem.. I rescently aquired a 5ch soundstream amp, and I have it hooked up and everything, but I get that stupid "alternator" interference noise on ch 2. And when I take out the sub channel out of the sub amp, the noise goes away.

Also, I wired the RCA's on the opposite side from the alternator wire. And they're fairly good quality RCA's too. Gold plated. yadi yadi.. etc..

WHY?!??

Also, I was told that it was good for my ground to be connected to the battery, is that good or no?

EMPOWERD
09-25-2003, 04:41 PM
when I had my system installed on my E30, I was surprised to find out that the placement of the RCA throughout the car is crucial. Since I had no carpet installed yet, they were running the car and playing the radio, literally shifting the RCA's around to find the least amount of noise. Apparently German cars are notorious for this even though I had the best platinum tipped RCA's from Europe. You can buy a noise suppressor for this problem, but it's only a "band aid" cure.

Gamite
09-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I tried this before, we actually were like waving the wires around in the car, and it still had the same problem. Have the wires tucked under the carpet along the drivers side.. I'm considering a noise supperessor but I heard it ruins your high end.. but considering I only play MP3's anyways, there really isnt any high end to ruin

WASABI
09-25-2003, 05:53 PM
How is the quality of the jacket on the wires ? All of our EMF sensitive wires are all covered in tin foil in addition to the rubber jacket in our machines at work. I wonder if wrapping the RCA wires in aluminum foil will help. Good signal is not only due to high quality tips and thick wires, but also insulation.

BMW BMXer
09-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Yes you can ground the amp to the battery. But I have never seen anyone actually do it. Just heard of people doing it. Some swear its the saftest ground others do not.

I just grounded to my frame. Im lucky so far the stupid common ground on e30s has not bit me in the ass to bad

As for your problem thats ****ed. Only channel 2 eh

maverick
09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
YEAAA no dont ground to the battery it is safe but not the best way...ground to the frame and if possible the ground should't be any longer then 2 ft. and make sure you scrape any paint or anything that might lead to a bad ground away

good luck

DunDan
09-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Yes you can ground the amp to the battery. But I have never seen anyone actually do it. Just heard of people doing it. Some swear its the saftest ground others do not.

I just grounded to my frame. Im lucky so far the stupid common ground on e30s has not bit me in the ass to bad

As for your problem thats ****ed. Only channel 2 eh

There is no harm in grounding directly to the battery. The ground terminal is connected to the frame anyway so it's more or less the same thing. It would be easier to ground to a point on the frame depending on where your amp is mounted to keep the wire as short as possible.

As for the whine, it is not "****ed", obviously channel 2 is picking up interference directly to those electronic parts. He has already tried different placement so the only other solution to isolate the whine is shielding or a ground loop isolator i guess.

BMW BMXer
09-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Why would the ground problem only affect channel 2?

I didn't mean ****ed as in the amps ****ed. I ment ****ed as in I don't get it.

bE30mM50w
09-26-2003, 02:24 AM
move the wire that goes from chanel 2 to the speaker. make it longer and re-route it. it worked for me. maybe its close to a power line

Gamite
09-26-2003, 11:45 PM
its not the wire, cuz whichever wire I plug into ch2, its still the same problem.

I grounded it to the battery cuz its close to the amps.. (rear seat)

notjoe
09-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Here is how i wired my car, i dont know if it'll help you out at all but its worth a shot.

I ran RCA cables (R&F cables) from the deck, around the side of the console, under the glove box over to the door, from there the cables run under the plastic lining which is on the frame but just below the door and it goes right into the back where the rear seat is then into the trunk where the amp is. I used 4gauge R&F power cables which connect directly from the AMP to the battery. On the positive line i have a R&F fuse incase there is some sort of short, the fuse will blow before the amp.

As for the speaker wiring, i think it is 8gauge which is plugged into the amp and sub. all my wires are short since everything is right beside eachother in the trunk.

Hope this helps you out

Gamite
09-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by notjoe
Here is how i wired my car, i dont know if it'll help you out at all but its worth a shot.

I ran RCA cables (R&F cables) from the deck, around the side of the console, under the glove box over to the door, from there the cables run under the plastic lining which is on the frame but just below the door and it goes right into the back where the rear seat is then into the trunk where the amp is. I used 4gauge R&F power cables which connect directly from the AMP to the battery. On the positive line i have a R&F fuse incase there is some sort of short, the fuse will blow before the amp.

As for the speaker wiring, i think it is 8gauge which is plugged into the amp and sub. all my wires are short since everything is right beside eachother in the trunk.

Hope this helps you out

My alternator cable runs along the passenger side of the car, so I have it wired on the driver side.

I'm using 4 gauge from the battery to the amps wiht a fuse box and a brax cap in between.

notjoe
09-28-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
My alternator cable runs along the passenger side of the car, so I have it wired on the driver side.

I'm using 4 gauge from the battery to the amps wiht a fuse box and a brax cap in between.

Maybe i can check it out at the show & shine tomorrow, if not we live right beside eachother so maybe we can hook up and see whats up with it.

Im pretty sure that the alternator cable runs outside of the car whereas the RCA's run inside of the car so you have the body as a shield. since you got one channel which is fine i dont think that is your problem.

I have a couple amps we can do some testing with, it might be a filter on the amp for channel 2 is gone, i dunno though

Lennon
09-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey Julian, does your ground wire cross over your power wire anywhere in the car, cause if so that could be the result of this, also your RCA's crossing over your power wire could do this as well, and don't ground out to the battery, I'm not entirely sure why, but all proffessional installs I've seen never ground to the battery, good luck, let me know how it goes.

- Lennon

Gamite
09-29-2003, 07:05 PM
apparently they don't ground to the battery, cuz on most cars the battery is in the engine bay, and its pointless to run the wire back. I will check for the ground crossing the power wires, I didn't know that would cause a problem.

I made sure my RCA's stay away from my power wires.