PDA

View Full Version : help with ewly acquired E34 - questions

jeanfb
09-16-2003, 08:17 PM
I just bought this car - is it normal for all the exterior lights (lows and parking lights and taillights) and the dash lights to come on when I start the engine (its like driving at night) except I need not touch the light switch. Also the tail lights come on - The previous owner had the wrong bulbs in there and now the corner tailights have melted inside to the point where the lightbulb sockets don't make contact anymore.

The headlight switch only allows me to then switch on the fogs with its own switch....

jeanfb
09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
ad posted in the WANTED forum for stock 1995 e34 taillights.

BimmerBalla14
09-16-2003, 11:35 PM
as far as i know,thats very UN-normal lol.i know nothing of electrical systems,but it sounds as if u might have to replace the actual switch.the contacts may be fried,so thats why,when u run power(by starting it)then they auto matically turn on.they arent that hard to get out, might as well take a look at the back of it.just take a flathead screw driver or somethin similar and pry it out a lil bit @ a time all the way around.thats all i have to offer,good luck to ya.

bmwm5lover
09-16-2003, 11:43 PM
its called DRL or Day Running lights. All cars after 1990 in canada have that. your dash boars, rears, and front(fogs) come on as soon as you switch the car on. this is for precautions and to be seen better. For example, my old e28 RIP, was an 84, and when i started the car i had NO LIGHTS AT ALL. they had to be turned on using the headlight switch. on my new 1990 325iS as soon as i start my car, my low beams, side markers, blinkers, rears, and fogs come on. same thing with my dads 1994 Volvo.

SebSter
09-17-2003, 01:12 AM
yep, terry's right, and its the same on my dad's e34 too...its stupid tho that in the normal position the fogs wont come on, and you have to put it to the "on" position (AND press the fog button) for the fogs to come on... strange but thats how it seems to be on all the bimmers