PDA

View Full Version : took my car to Cayuga!

85eta
09-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Last friday night I went to Cayuga with Brad (aka 98323is). Just wanted to see what my car would run on the track. I have G-tech'd my car before, but who knows how accurate those things are? I have never been to the track before, so I really had no expectations. On my first run, I lined up next to a brand new Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V with an intake and exhaust. I ended up beating it! I ran a 16.6 @ 83mph and he ran a 16.7 @ 83mph. I thought they would run faster than that? My next runs were pretty good, around 16.4 @ 83mph, I beat a 91 8 valve golf, and a Mazda Precidia with a 200hp J-spec motor only beat me by 2 car lengths! I was also beaten by a 90 civic hatch with a GSR motor. He only ran a 15.1 I was consistantly running 2.2 or 2.3 60 foot times, and I think that it pretty good? The last run of the night was the best though! I lined up against Brad in his 323is. He beat me obviosly, I think he ran a 15.1 @ 93 mph or so, but I am sure he will correct me! but I ran a 16.2 @ 84.5 mph, which I think is a pretty respectable time, the best part about the run though is that I pulled a perfect 500 reaction time!! Obviously bull s*** luck, but it was still cool! It was a great night, and now I want to do some mods so I can get into the 15's!!

Soldo
09-14-2003, 04:06 PM
NICE RUNS!

hehehehe, you've been BITTEN by the mod bug i see!
Ya the drag strip is pretty addicting, but you wanna talk about addiction, have ya ever sucked dik for coke?!
lol, try an actual CIRCUIT track, THATS addicting!
When i did my first run at a drag strip i pulled a decent 15.2 BONE STOCK!
i'd be interested to go again, see what shes capable of NOW, but ya, a lot of people talk shitt but when it comes time to actually track it people don't realize its different than on the street!

ZiMMie
09-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Did the civic had Deeeeez Nutz Decal on it?? Cause it beat me By lke a 2feets at drag races..

Soldo
09-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ZiMMie
Did the civic had Deeeeez Nutz Decal on it?? Cause it beat me By lke a 2feets at drag races.. :D i seen it!
Man Zimmie, it looked like you one, and in my mind, YOU DID!
*th-up*

PS WTF is that noise comin from your car!?

85eta
09-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Did the civic had Deeeeez Nutz Decal on it?? Cause it beat me By lke a 2feets at drag races..

No I dont think it did. it was a pretty plain car, not even very nice, but a fast motor for sure.

ZiMMie
09-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
:D i seen it!
Man Zimmie, it looked like you one, and in my mind, YOU DID!
*th-up*

PS WTF is that noise comin from your car!?

If we kept goin i would have taken the lead. he got a good start.
its piece of shit in the catalitic converter.

that one i race had a b16 with an intake/header etc.

i want a rematch next meet..

R_JAY
09-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Did the civic had Deeeeez Nutz Decal on it?? Cause it beat me By lke a 2feets at drag races.. Zimmy that was a good run but I think you shifted into 2nd way too early.

ZiMMie
09-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Zimmy that was a good run but I think you shifted into 2nd way too early.

i launched at 2500RPM and once i hit 3500((didnt wanna fu*ckup my tranny)) i poped in 2nd that when my shitin knob broke off. but i want a rematch with the civic next week we r rollin no stop and go..

Mitch555
09-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Zimmy that was a good run but I think you shifted into 2nd way too early.

Yea you shifted into second waaaaaaay to early!!!! :P Was there someone at the end signaling that it was the finish line or no?

Mitch555
09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
i launched at 2500RPM and once i hit 3500((didnt wanna fu*ckup my tranny)) i poped in 2nd that when my shitin knob broke off. but i want a rematch with the civic next week we r rollin no stop and go..

Your shifting knob broke off during the race?!? :confused:

ZiMMie
09-14-2003, 05:04 PM
it goes up to the rails. that where it ends.

tlaselva
09-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 85eta
I was consistantly running 2.2 or 2.3 60 foot times, and I think that it pretty good?

Good to hear you had a good time at the track.
Some respectable times for a car like yours....*th-up*

You could likely get your car into the 15's without anything else, other than improving your 60 ft times.
When you’re dragging, the first 60 ft. is the most important time for the run. You should be able to get your times down to 2.0 flat.
Running 2.2 to 2.3 sounds like to me your spinning too much off the line, and loosing time. This is a common error most people do at the track. Every .1 sec you improve on your 60 ft time will translate to about .15 sec on your 1/4 mile times. You can see with simple math that if you knock off a 2.0, that should translate to about .3 to .4 improvements on your 1/4.

If you want to improve your 60's, you will have to use your clutch more off the line. You will likely have to hold your car at its peak torque rpm, and slowly release the clutch, using it to modulate the power to the rear wheels. You want to hold the power to where it is just about to break the tires loose, and when your car has caught up to the rpm, nail the gas and hold the gear to as close as you can to the redline without hitting the rev limiter, and shift as fast as you can.

It does take practise, but it is fun noting your 60's improving, and watching your times improve noticeably.

Just note that this clutch modulating is HARD on your clutch plate, and if you shift hard, it does take a toll on your powertrain, so it all depends if you have the resources to keep the car up. Drag racing isn't a cheap sport especially if your going to push your car hard.

BMW BMXer
09-14-2003, 08:08 PM
85 eta what motor mods do you have?

Just the chip?

Jon@Bimmersport
09-14-2003, 09:41 PM

HAHAHA thats my buddy oliver! he is doing way better now...he should be hitting 13-0

85eta
09-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
85 eta what motor mods do you have?

Just the chip?

I have a chip, and a K&N cone filter, thats it. I even still have the stock 2.79LSD. changing to a 3.25LSD or so would for sure give me better times.

85eta
09-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by tlaselva
Good to hear you had a good time at the track.
Some respectable times for a car like yours....*th-up*

You could likely get your car into the 15's without anything else, other than improving your 60 ft times.

hmmmm, thanks for the input. I wasn't spinning the wheels too much, as my car gets really good traction, but there was some wheel spin. but ya, what you say I am sure would help. I definitely won't be going to the track very often at all, just wanted to see what my car would run!

ZiMMie
09-15-2003, 01:32 AM
yep mitch my shifiting knob broke as soon as i shifted to 2nd.

Mitch555
09-15-2003, 04:09 AM
yep mitch my shifiting knob broke as soon as i shifted to 2nd.

Even though it broke you still came close to winning it! *th-up*

BMW BMXer
09-15-2003, 03:29 PM
I had a shift knob break going into 2nd.

98323IS
09-20-2003, 04:00 AM
Hey Steve glad to see you finally posted! We will have to scan our slips and post em up! Ya I ran a 15.1 at 94MPH which is okay I guess............but I left my heavy ass system in, and with my ghetto intake I am actually losin power. But none the less, AWESOME night baby. Can't wait to do it once more before the season is over. And for next time hopefully I will have my carbonio carbon fiber CAI and my UUC pullies..........take the system out, and I'll hit high 14's with no probs. Still though, I think a 15 second run for a lil 323 isn't too bad eh guys?!?! Cheers and remember, if ya got beef, take it to the track..........