PDA

View Full Version : Best looking tint?

chitown
09-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Another opinion thread, heh

My buddy is giving me a coupon for $50 off tinting at Tint King, and they quoted me at $150 or so, so it would only cost $100 hopefully. I just need to get the antenna taken out of the rear windshield first.

But was wondering what tints you have on your car and what looks best on a darker color (such as blue, etc.). I want jet black, none of that white shit, but unsure of what %/letter to get. My buddy got the darkest one (it's limo tint basically) it's pretty nice but I don't want to get pulled over all the time, plus it's more difficult to see out of it.

Opinions? Experiences? Thanks :p

///m powered
09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
hah limo is like 5% ,, id say go with 20% *th-up*

Mitch555
09-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Go to Tint King and see the different shades of tint they have available. They have the different shades on a display. Then decide which is the best for you. Good luck!

Soldo
09-11-2003, 04:51 AM
WAIT A MINUTE!!
Is it a MUST to remove the antena from your rear window?!
Thats one of the badass things i love about my car, can't they just TINIT it with the attena still in the window?!

BiBimBap
09-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Yeah, I dunno what they are doing - yours is an E36 right? The antenna should be fine sandwiched between the tint.

I think the perfect tint without catching too much heat is as follow: 35% on driver/passenger sides, 20% for the rear quarters and the rear window. That way the sides are legal and you won't have too much trouble with the 5-0.

I got 35% all the way around.. and it's too light. Wish i got a darker rear quarter and rear..

BiBimBap
09-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Yeah - i just checked.. the antenna is imprinted onto the rear window. If they "remove it" i don't think you can "stick" it back on..

chitown
09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Well, when I went to Tint King, the guy told me "You have to remove that antenna before we can tint it"... so. Guess I'm gonna have to call up BMW and see if they can do it for free :)

app
09-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Just remember, legal limits are 35% on driver/passenger window, and anything else can be as dark as you want.

Cops will usually let 20% all around fly, and 20% is pretty dark at night. People can just see sorta like an outline of you.

15% (friend had), will get you tickets. He always had tickets for too dark of tint.

Mitch555
09-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by chitown
Guess I'm gonna have to call up BMW and see if they can do it for free :)

Nothing is free at BMW... lol

M50E30
09-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by chitown
Well, when I went to Tint King, the guy told me "You have to remove that antenna before we can tint it"... so.

If they said that....I would stay away from that shop. Have you tried other shops to get an estimate and to see if that antenna has to come off?

BTW - If you take the antenna off how are you going to listen to the radio? Sounds like a Mickey Mouse operation over there.

chitown
09-11-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't listen to the radio anyway, but, I don't see any bimmers with the antenna on the rear windshield? I thought mine was there because the previous owner had a car phone.

Also, not sure where any other tint shops are, everyone tells me to go to tint king, blah blah, but I haven't heard of anything else. My friend has tint master and it's complete garbage on his car..

app
09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I believe the antenna is the two vertical parallel "defrost-looking" lines.

Soldo
09-11-2003, 10:54 PM
wait a minute, i think i'm a lil lost, we ARE talkin about the antenas that are IN the freakin window, look like the heater lines?!
Cause didn't some BM's come with external antenas!?

chitown
09-11-2003, 10:59 PM
It's external, but its fixed in between the windsheild. The antenna is about 4 inches or so.

Soldo
09-11-2003, 11:14 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh, okay, see that explains it now, cause most of us have our antenas IN the actual glass!!
which was ODD for saying to remove the antena!

BiBimBap
09-13-2003, 06:03 AM
You have an EXTERNAL antenna?! I thought all E36s had the imprinted rear window type antennas? Anyways, regardless of antenna location - make sure you get the "good tint" and not that purple crap that bubbles up in 6 months. That $50 off coupon is good - but don't cheap out for the worst tint...you'll hate it.

I tinted my old Civic at Tint King and paid around $200 for everything (tax too) - got the "higher grade" tint and no purpling and no bubbling appeared for 8 years.

I went to a place in Scarborough to tint my current ride. Not a bad job - but they could have been a bit neater on the rear window. I think it cost me $140.

Just remember NEVER use ammonia based window cleaners such as WINDEX to clean tinted windows. Just water is fine.