PDA

View Full Version : Fan flaps stuck, need help

Autotechnica
09-04-2003, 05:11 PM
When I turn my fan on at any speed almost no air comes out, but I can hear that the air being sucked in is blocked by something. I think the flap is stuck. I'm not sure how the A/C or fan system works. However, when I turn on the A/C the flap will open and the A/C goes full blast! When I turn the A/C off the flap will get stuck again and once again the fan has no air flow. I've tried removing the microfilter so it's not that. Is there anything I can spray into the vent to prevent the flaps from sticking? If this isn't the problem, any idea what else it could be? I've heard this is a common problem on E30's, but mine is an E36. Do I have to take the console apart? That's my last resort.

Thanks!

Bryan

KIRASIR
09-04-2003, 05:41 PM
You sure it's not your blower resistor?

SL

Gamite
09-04-2003, 06:13 PM
if it were the resistor, he wouldn't hear the fan blowing.

KIRASIR
09-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Let's start by clarifying something. :)

Bryan, when you turn the knob, does the fan change the speeds as usual?

SL

Originally posted by Gamite
if it were the resistor, he wouldn't hear the fan blowing.

Autotechnica
09-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Yes it does change speeds. I had the resistor replaced during the winter but now all fan speeds work. I'm 90% sure it's a sticky flap.

The A/C works great, the air flow is amazing and no sticky flaps, only when I try to use the fan.

Bry

bmwm5lover
09-05-2003, 12:24 AM
thats what i had on my e28!

Autotechnica
09-05-2003, 03:07 AM
and what was your solution?

Gamite
09-05-2003, 04:42 AM
hm.. I just had a thought.. there are cables behind my console that control the amount of air going through the vents, maybe behind your console one of the cables came loose. Cuz then, no matter how much you turned it, they wouldn't open. I dunno how E36 is, but its worth a try.

Autotechnica
09-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
hm.. I just had a thought.. there are cables behind my console that control the amount of air going through the vents, maybe behind your console one of the cables came loose. Cuz then, no matter how much you turned it, they wouldn't open. I dunno how E36 is, but its worth a try.

Thanks, I'll look into it. However, when I turn my A/C on the air flows great! Any idea how the A/C and fan is related? Do they work on seperate flaps?

Bry