PDA

View Full Version : u.s spec m3 engine to euro spec ?

Krim 325I
09-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Hey , i want to know if it is possible to tuned the north american m3 engine that came in the e36 , to the specs of the euro one? is it the same engine detuned for north america? how much it would cost to do that on a 97 engine? thx :)

Krim 325I
09-05-2003, 03:36 AM
*BUMP* im sure someone know if its doable, just give me a link if you dont feel like typing it all out ;)

thx

EMPOWERD
09-05-2003, 12:10 PM
not possible at all. If you want to get the same HP figures... that's do-able, but with different mods.

Everything on the Euro motor is completely different. The pistons, rods, crank, complete head, (port size, valvetrain, solid rocker lifters, cams), 6-throttle bodies etc... BMW Motorsports hand builds these motors in Germany from scratch... the U.S. spec motors are just hopped-up 328i motors with a higher lift cam.

Krim 325I
09-05-2003, 04:14 PM
awwww , well thx anyhow , i'll try another route to get those hp *th-up*

diegom6
09-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Krim 325I
*BUMP* im sure someone know if its doable, just give me a link if you dont feel like typing it all out ;)

thx

I'm not agree at all, I mean, the crankshaft is the same, I mean the bore and stroke of both are equally, I saw this inthe TIS info of BMW, comparing these engine to see what are the main difference, look like the bottom are nearly the same, don't know exactly if the pistons and rods are the same...anyway, the head Ecu and other thing are other world.... we got those Euros M3 here, and US M3 as well, compared, I can say that the Euro feels like if only have more HP, in fact has like 40 more, but the torque it's nearly the same... I?m confidence of that cuz I drove both several ocasions...

EMPOWERD
09-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Just because the bore and stroke size are the same, doesn't mean the components are made of the same material. My dad had a Euro M3 (pic I posted) and I drove it a lot (aswell as many U.S. spec cars) and it feels the same below 5000rpm... after that, the Euro really pulls hard and doesn't stop until 7500rpm. A friend of mine blew his Euro motor and had a hard time finding the parts (hoping U.S. bottom end parts where the same).

Peter1998
09-06-2003, 02:53 AM
i think just the intake manifold and exhaust manifold part is different. if u change those.. you can give ur us spec engine 40hp more.

Krim 325I
09-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Peter1998
i think just the intake manifold and exhaust manifold part is different. if u change those.. you can give ur us spec engine 40hp more.

Heh , i wish it was that easy :)

SpoolinS6
09-06-2003, 04:21 AM
why not just get the throttle bodies all 6 of them from the eurospec and put them on the us spec it will give u some good ponys for sure!

EMPOWERD
09-06-2003, 06:04 AM
BMP sells a multi-throttle body kit for the M50/52 motors. It costs around $2700 U.S. for approx 20HP gain. Way too much $$$ for 20HP! Here's the link....

http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalog/engine_31.shtml

crusher
09-06-2003, 06:57 AM
hey randy... i always wondered how high (HP) can I go without going force induction with my 99 US-spec M3? Some guy from m3-forum is talking about 280+ ?! with turner cam kit, bmp multi-trottle, exhaust, chip, track pipe, fan delete, pulleys, 3.2 OBDI, etc. etc.. what do you think?

Jeff

SickFinga
09-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
BMP sells a multi-throttle body kit for the M50/52 motors. It costs around $2700 U.S. for approx 20HP gain. Way too much $$$ for 20HP! Here's the link....

http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalog/engine_31.shtml

hmm mit says not for cars with traction control and cruise control
Every 97+ m3 has both?
Does it mean, you still can get it, but you will lose traction contro and cruise control?

EMPOWERD
09-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by crusher
hey randy... i always wondered how high (HP) can I go without going force induction with my 99 US-spec M3? Some guy from m3-forum is talking about 280+ ?! with turner cam kit, bmp multi-trottle, exhaust, chip, track pipe, fan delete, pulleys, 3.2 OBDI, etc. etc.. what do you think?

Jeff

280 is very possible. Alex McHenry reached the 250rwHP mark with his 3.2L N/A motor (his dad built it). I don't know his mods off the top of my head, but it was fully built up (probably balanced, blueprinted etc). Something to consider aswell (maybe instead of BMP multi throttles) is a solid rocker setup with more radical cams (a '92 M50 head w/noVANOS will benifit more). Anyways, here's a vague thread (http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86880&highlight=Alex) on DTM with members comparing their dyno numbers with mod lists.

e30mpowerd
09-06-2003, 04:38 PM
here's an us m3 engine

e30mpowerd
09-06-2003, 04:43 PM
here's another pic of the an euro m3 e36 evo 3.2 321 hp and u can really spot the different

Krim 325I
09-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Turner motorsport is claiming to have reached 254 hp to the rear wheel with their euro camshaft upgrade kit, with dyno graph to back it up : http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=E36M3HFMCAMKIT

or the obd2 intake and cam package claiming 295hp (...)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=jccaischrick

can we trust their number? or is it just like dinan number and pretty much bullshit ?

SickFinga
09-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Krim 325I

or the obd2 intake and cam package claiming 295hp (...)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=jccaischrick

can we trust their number? or is it just like dinan number and pretty much bullshit ?

w0w this is a pretty nice gain.

crusher
09-07-2003, 12:12 AM
thats a very nice gain for the camkit. Hmm makes me wonder :)

diegom6
09-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
Just because the bore and stroke size are the same, doesn't mean the components are made of the same material. My dad had a Euro M3 (pic I posted) and I drove it a lot (aswell as many U.S. spec cars) and it feels the same below 5000rpm... after that, the Euro really pulls hard and doesn't stop until 7500rpm. A friend of mine blew his Euro motor and had a hard time finding the parts (hoping U.S. bottom end parts where the same).

Not only is that, the Euro has Double Vanos I think, not so sure, but I think it does, anyway, the Euro has other cams spec too, yeah Randy you are probably right , about the materials, most probably they are differents, and you are right over 5500 RPM aprox, the euro start to pull harder than the US, the US you can feel ,likr it need more "something" like gas or air, whatever, in high RPMs...