PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on E46 323i

JDub
09-04-2003, 03:02 AM
My friend is interested in getting a 99 or 00 323i. First of all, how are they? And are there any things he should look out for?

UncleJ
09-04-2003, 06:39 PM
E46's own.

It's also not very fast.

crusher
09-04-2003, 08:01 PM
323i are ok they are 170 HP stock and should still be on Certified Series warranty. I guess just make sure that all service records are complete and all inspections are done.

Jeff

Jon@Bimmersport
09-04-2003, 09:50 PM
also the 99 models for auto didnt come with triptronic...2000 models did though

there is no options for the base model...make sure he gets a nice premium pkg 2 or 3...theres also different levels of sports pkg too...

SpudBoy
09-04-2003, 10:19 PM
You should always get the biggest motor possible in any bimmer. If can only get the small motor your still driving a bimmer*th-up*

crusher
09-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by SpudBoy
You should always get the biggest motor possible in any bimmer. If can only get the small motor your still driving a bimmer*th-up*

Hehe yes, i think thats what happened to me, i took the plunge with the 323i and end up wanting more HP. But anyways, i loved my old 323i its so luxurious than the M :)

Jeff

JDub
09-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Thanks guys! Yeah, it's always nice to get more power but he just doesn't have the money for it right now.

EricE330ci
09-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Make sure to check if all the recalls have been done.
The fan recall and the steering retrofit come to mind.

SpudBoy
09-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Steering retrofit might not be required. I test piloted a e46 325ci... steering fine, clutch fine. But the 330ci... steering sucked and clutch seemed different each time I engaged it.

Beautiful cars though,

djcontra
09-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Tell your friend to get xenons as an option (if available). I hate seeing e46's without xenons...how can people cheap out like that?? What's a few more bucks when you've already spent thousands! I've even seen a guy who got at least ellipsoids, but no xenons...and then he went and put blue halogens in them! What a shame :(

e-46 blinGGa
09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I think it all depends on what your friend wants. If he just wants a nice looking car to pimp some girls, u could turn a 323 ci to look so sick with not a whole lot of money. A decent set of rims, a tint and nice front bumper is enuff to grab attenchun as he's driving around. But straight up, she's got no balls. I mean you'll beat civics and shit, but u'll be no where close to the big boyz. Even a 328 will embarass u. So if u want performance theres a whole lot of other options with that money. ( PERSONAL SUGGESTION: WRX)

SpudBoy
09-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by e-46 blinGGa
I think it all depends on what your friend wants. If he just wants a nice looking car to pimp some girls, u could turn a 323 ci to look so sick with not a whole lot of money. A decent set of rims, a tint and nice front bumper is enuff to grab attenchun as he's driving around. But straight up, she's got no balls. I mean you'll beat civics and shit, but u'll be no where close to the big boyz. Even a 328 will embarass u. So if u want performance theres a whole lot of other options with that money. ( PERSONAL SUGGESTION: WRX)

Subes are whole different thing altogether. I want one as a daily driver but I've yet to see anyone restore an old one. BMWs on the other hand are getting overly engineered to the point where bullit-proof mechnical systems are being replaced with questionable electronic components. I love the electronic toys but "not in my sports car". I feel that in a few years the only bimmers truely coveted will be the older ones. Prior to "drive by wire" (oh... I forgot to select sport mode). And variable ratio steering (oh... Usually when I turn the steering wheel the front wheels turn too)

BMW will always have a driver's car like the M3 but they will be pricey and expensive to maintain over the years.

I know I sound like a broken record but it's just MHO.

Spud

P.S. I know I'm off topic.