PDA

View Full Version : clear coating question - pls help

SebSter
09-03-2003, 12:32 AM
ok so here's my deal, i have original paint on my 14 year old car and the clear coat seems to be getting chips... and im on a pretty low budget. since i cant afford a new clear coat spray, let alone a new paint job... i experimented in a small corner with some local canadian tire supplies.. i used 2000grit sandpaper, and a can of clear coat , wetsanded a spot to smooth it out and then sprayed it... and it looked pretty good, a big improvement

now my question is, would it be a horrible idea to do this to the rest of the car? (mainly the top, hood and trunk as they are in horrible condition) i havent noticed any side-effects yet from the area i tested it on, so far it looks good and the chips in the clear coat were fixed..

any advice?

SebSter
09-04-2003, 08:09 PM
anyone?

bmwm5lover
09-04-2003, 09:10 PM
you got a PM

SebSter
09-04-2003, 09:17 PM
k thanks man

jello_g
09-04-2003, 09:18 PM
What colour is your car? Metallic colours were clear-coated, but the flat colours were not until Sept-93 at which point all colours were coated with clear.

SebSter
09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
its black but not a pure black, more like charcoal .. really dark grey almost black

4NTURBO
09-08-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by SebSter

.......i used 2000grit sandpaper, and a can of clear coat , wetsanded a spot to smooth it out and then sprayed it... and it looked pretty good, a big improvement

now my question is, would it be a horrible idea to do this to the rest of the car?
i havent noticed any side-effects yet from the area i tested it on, so far it looks good and the chips in the clear coat were fixed..

any advice?

This would be a very bad idea.....simply put, painting is not that easy....no matter how you slice it.

Sure, your small test spot may look fine, but to do that to an entire panel or entire car puts you totally out of your league (no offense of course).
I could go on forever and ever about why and how etc, but lets just say that 2000 isn't for painting on top of, its for polishing....so, to begin with, there's a major adhesion issue there.

Plus, by the time you sand an entire panel (or car), you'll need to have paint sprayed back on before clearing ---> you couldn't possibly sand all that area *sufficiently and correctly* without breaking through whatever clear you have left on the car.

Then, there's the fact that using a spray can on large areas (especially when unexperienced) will look very much below average in quality - in terms of someone trying to repaint their car.

Your idea only sounds a lot better than it actually ever would be in a real world attempt.

sean (ex auto painter)

SebSter
09-08-2003, 10:30 AM
allrite, thats exactly why i asked on here first before doin it :)

thanks,
seb