PDA

View Full Version : Motor on wing to control downforce

MatyBMW
08-29-2003, 10:49 PM
This isn't BMW related but picture this.

I saw an 87' MR2 in the parking lot today, it had a home made DTM wing with a stepper motor attached to it. Therer were some relays, wiring and a piston controlling a stepper motor that allowed the wing to be adjusted from the inside.

It looked sooooooooo LAMe, everybody was laughing at it.

I wish I had pictures of this beast, it was damnnn funny!

app
08-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Isn't there a wing that automatically adjusts depending on what speed you're going at?

MatyBMW
08-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Yes, its in the POrsche Carerra.. :)

djcontra
08-30-2003, 03:21 AM
You can get ricer wings that have remote controls to adjust downforce....I have yet to see one on a car, but I'll laugh so hard when I do :D

EMPOWERD
08-30-2003, 03:50 AM
yeah, we saw him at the SOCCI school at Shannonville last weekend. It's a red early model MR2 with yellow spider graphics on it. The huge wing actually tilts 90 degrees and acts as an air flap during braking. I've witnessed it work. At first I thought he didn't attach it right, looked strange on the track constantly flipping forward.

Soldo
08-30-2003, 04:11 AM
Hmmmmmmm, that actually sounds like it has some GOOD use to it!

MatyBMW
08-31-2003, 09:49 PM
but if you saw it you woudn't want it because it looks soooo home made, but still.. nonetheless it would be difficult for most people to make something like this.

Randy, was that you in the wagon on Saturday morning?

SebSter
09-01-2003, 03:19 PM
call me stupid but if installed right i think that could actually be extremely beneficial on the track, no?

EMPOWERD
09-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by MatyBMW
but if you saw it you woudn't want it because it looks soooo home made, but still.. nonetheless it would be difficult for most people to make something like this.

Randy, was that you in the wagon on Saturday morning?

yeah, that was me! Nice dog, is it a Lab? i was on my way to pick up my G/F for a weekend of Algonquin camping. I didn't know if you'd recognize me. Car looks good, needs to be lowered a bit though.*th-up*

MatyBMW
09-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Yeah, hes a black labrador.. i guess your is a chocolate.

And yes, the car needs to be lowered :) the beast is high but at least i don't have to hit speed bumps at an angle or worry every time i want to go into a time hortons parking lot ;)

yeah, that was me! Nice dog, is it a Lab? i was on my way to pick up my G/F for a weekend of Algonquin camping. I didn't know if you'd recognize me. Car looks good, needs to be lowered a bit though.