PDA

View Full Version : Help!! My Hood Is Stuck Closed

325iSBimmer
08-29-2003, 09:12 PM
my hood pin on the passenger side is stuck... tried pulling on the handle while somebody wiggled the hood up and down but that didn't work....the cable feels tight....

is there any other way of making that pin pop open....
i removed the kidney grill but i couldn't see anything there.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

SeRb
08-30-2003, 12:00 AM
try sliding something under it to see if / where its stuck. . .

or maybe it bent somewhere so u cant pop it open :confused:
**** me if im wrong
just dont try to forcfully pry it open. . .everytime u try and do that the results arent too pretty :P

///Milk
08-30-2003, 02:46 AM
take a chain saw and start chopping away :P :D jks
dont force it....be gentle...if not go to the AAA or w.e
dont do wat i say.....im only 13 :D

325iSBimmer
09-01-2003, 11:48 PM
im thinking i might have to take my car to the dealer.....
should I?

AzN_E46
09-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
should I?

ya..the dealer better be able to open it...*uzi*

AzN_E46
09-01-2003, 11:54 PM
should I?

ya..the dealer better be able to open it...*uzi*

sonic07
09-02-2003, 01:49 AM
my hood pin on the passenger side is stuck... tried pulling on the handle while somebody wiggled the hood up and down but that didn't work....the cable feels tight....

is there any other way of making that pin pop open....
i removed the kidney grill but i couldn't see anything there.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

ok once you got the kidney grill off, if you are facing the car i supposed, on the top LEFT corner behind the grill you'll see a black plactic looks like a box ... behind that box is the hood lock. so i guess if you can cut it open a little bit just enough to poke coat hanger through. i would suggest to use like 1/2" drill bit or something and then get coat hanger and make a small hook at end to pull part of the broken cable. if can get a hold of the piece of the cable use vise grip and pull it to open the lock ...
to give an idea check out the illust. below ...

good luck ...

325iSBimmer
09-03-2003, 01:06 AM
thank you very much for the info....
Im gonna try that..

M50E30
09-03-2003, 03:14 AM
Go to my mechanic in Thorold...

Thorold Imports
112 Ormond St. S.
905-680-6649

Alot cheaper than the $tealer.

325iSBimmer
09-03-2003, 07:13 PM
thanks for the contact M50E30.... if i can't get it open myself then im gona take it to them

M50E30
09-04-2003, 12:58 AM
thanks for the contact M50E30.... if i can't get it open myself then im gona take it to them

Talk to Vincent (tell him that Dave sent you). And tell him you just want to deal in cash (he will probably cut you a deal).

L8R,
Dave
*th-up*

djcontra
09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
just hacksaw the pin, and buy a new one afterwards...
(that's what I'd do out of frustration :))
The hood pin can't be tooo expensive can it?

325iSBimmer
09-11-2003, 03:59 PM
just thought I'd update you guys on the hood situation...
i did what contra said and just cut the pin with a hack saw.. and it worked great(good idea..i hadn't thought about doin that)... the hood poped right open (i had it wedged with wood so there was pressure on it.... the new pin is only $23 but its comin in tomorrow... so i went ahead and closed the hood and pulled the car out of the shop....
well...don't i go to open it 5 minutes later and now the hood wont open again......:mad: ....i guess the pull cord needs to be connected to both pins in order to work properly....so now im gonna have to cut that pin too and order the cable as well..... kinda funny and frustrating at the same time.....

oh well..... I'll get it right eventually....

P.S. I'm really looking forward to Bimmercruize 03....... can't wait to see all your amazing cars....

sonic07
09-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Congrats 325iSBimmer ... job well done even though 2X ....

M50E30
09-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Should have gone to Thorold Imports like I told ya. They probably would have charged you next to nothing (if you delt in cash) and had it fixed right there. Oh well. Gotta learn some how I guess.

Dave

325iSBimmer
09-11-2003, 11:34 PM
im posting to some what redeem myself....
my hood does open....its just that now with the other hood pin out it doesn't have enought spring tension to pop it up and instead some one has to lift while the lever is pulled..... the new pin should be at the dealer tomorrow.....

M50E30.... ur very right...i should have just taken it there...would have saved me much grief and probably money cause now im paying dealer prices on the parts.... but so far i have never had to take a vehicle to another garage to have it fixed....since i can just do it at the garage I work at.... but i think this bimmer is going to be the biggest threat yet...lol

once again...thanx for the help guys

djcontra
09-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I'm glad to hear my redneck idea worked...sorta :)