PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger vs Turbocharger?

///Milk
08-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Whats the diff?
And what are the pro's and con's of each?

1BADBMW
08-27-2003, 08:02 PM
turbochrger uses the exhust fume to spin the turbine cuzing it to send compressed air into the intake for fuel mixture and can compress the air to about 16~17psi depending on the turbine...supercharger uses a belt that is attached to the camshaft pully to spin a trubine and compresse air for the intake , same as a turbocharger but a supercharger can not compress air as much as a turbocharger, a supercharger goes about 6~7psi!!

hope it is helpfull!!

330DTM
08-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 1BADBMW
turbochrger uses the exhust fume to spin the turbine cuzing it to send compressed air into the intake for fuel mixture and can compress the air to about 16~17psi depending on the turbine...supercharger uses a belt that is attached to the camshaft pully to spin a trubine and compresse air for the intake , same as a turbocharger but a supercharger can not compress air as much as a turbocharger, a supercharger goes about 6~7psi!!

hope it is helpfull!!

Actually 16-17psi is relatively pretty high for a turbocharged car.

Most OEM equipped cars i.e. A4 1.8T, Volvo's and Saab's run anywhere around 5-10psi. Plus it is possible for a supercharger to run more than 6-7psi provided with the right tuning; it's been done already.

Keep in mind there are also two types of superchargers. The Centrifugal and Positive displacement. The centrifugals usually have better efficiencies than the latter since it generates less heat than the positive displacement.
Centrifugal superchargers delivers boost linearly, so as rpm increases the more boost you build up and usually it makes more power at the upper rpm range. The positive displacement delivers the boost non-linearly and therefore can make the full boost at approx. low-mid-range rpm.

Obviously turbocharge is the way to go if you want a lot of power, but superchargers usually cost less.

ROBM3
08-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Mike, I don't think ///milk has 1 clue as to what the fak your saying... :D

moerom
08-28-2003, 03:59 AM
Both turbos and superchargers can be pushed wayyy past 20psi.

It depends how much money you want to spend.

Like 328DTM said, each thing has their advantages and disadvantages.

I have a Roots-style (positive displacement, 112 c.i.) and I make instant boost at any RPM, and I make insane torque very low in the rev range. I can't, however, push my blower past 16-18 psi because the gains are minimal past that point (relative inefficiency).

A centrifugal supercharger is essentially mechanically similar to a turbo, only that it is spun by a belt (or gears for the VERY expensive models), and boost depends on RPM. These blowers are very efficient at high boost levels, but lack that BLAST off the line.

A turbo needs exhaust flow to spool, so torque delivery can be very abnormal. If you don't care about turbo lag (the difference in time between your foot going to the floor and the turbo spooling up), then a turbo is for you, esp. if you like to push lotsa PSI through a larger turbo.

I couldn't live without my 500+ lb/ft because my truck is so heavy, it needs low end torque to get its fat ass moving.

But, lets say you have a light E30, and your gears are spaced correctly, and assuming you can drive, a turbo might be in better interest to you.

There is only one replacement for displacement, and that is forced induction. BUT if you can have BOTH then you are flying. Drop a larger motor in that E30 and super/turbo it, and you wil be flying.

However, turbo/supercharging is not really a bolt-on application. You need: fuel pumps/injectors/rails, higher flowing intake, a stronger exhaust manifold (for a turbo), sometimes a standalone fuel management system, custom ECU, and as boost levels increase, you need to get forged internals in order to keep your engine together. This also excludes the necessary complimentary mods such as a proper suspension, and proper brakes to go along with the added speed.

Put it this way: if your car wasn't meant (built) to be super/turbocharged, you are going to spend alot of money, but the gains are worth it. Super/turbocharging can be a veryyy finicky process, and should be dealt with by professionals (read: expensive).

But just imagine doing 120 km/h in a turbo'ed E30 and some guy in a c5 vette pulls up to you laughing. You proceed to downshift and accelerate and watch the face of the vette driver (and his g/f) as you pass his ass :)

There are alot of things I haven't even covered, but this is just the beginning.

EMPOWERD
08-28-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by moerom

But just imagine doing 120 km/h in a turbo'ed E30 and some guy in a c5 vette pulls up to you laughing. You proceed to downshift and accelerate and watch the face of the vette driver (and his g/f) as you pass his ass :)

i've done that.*th-up*

Gscott_80
08-28-2003, 05:35 AM
I believe everyone previous has explained the basic workings of both superchargers and turbochargers, but I am gonna talk anyways.
The turbocharger is the most effective power-adder to bolt onto your particular car. The smaller dispalcement engines don't do nearly as well with supercharger due to it's compressing power being directly pulled from the engine itself (the crank). As the boost levels increase with rpm, so also does the energy required to create it. So the charger that acts as a "5lb" drag on your crank at idle, becomes the "30+lb" drag at 4500+ rpms. The torque required to turn a 35lb object with speed is quite substantial. So in the end, you yield less power and increase strain on your rotating assembly. Larger engines have less prblem with this since they generally have ungodly amounts of torqing power to start off with, and can stand to lose a little to gain alot.

I could go on for about an hour or so on how the turbocharger will benefit you (and the drawbacks) but I am tired. So, someone else do it!!

1BADBMW
08-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by moerom
Both turbos and superchargers can be pushed wayyy past 20psi.

It depends how much money you want to spend.

Like 328DTM said, each thing has their advantages and disadvantages.

I have a Roots-style (positive displacement, 112 c.i.) and I make instant boost at any RPM, and I make insane torque very low in the rev range. I can't, however, push my blower past 16-18 psi because the gains are minimal past that point (relative inefficiency).

A centrifugal supercharger is essentially mechanically similar to a turbo, only that it is spun by a belt (or gears for the VERY expensive models), and boost depends on RPM. These blowers are very efficient at high boost levels, but lack that BLAST off the line.

A turbo needs exhaust flow to spool, so torque delivery can be very abnormal. If you don't care about turbo lag (the difference in time between your foot going to the floor and the turbo spooling up), then a turbo is for you, esp. if you like to push lotsa PSI through a larger turbo.

I couldn't live without my 500+ lb/ft because my truck is so heavy, it needs low end torque to get its fat ass moving.

But, lets say you have a light E30, and your gears are spaced correctly, and assuming you can drive, a turbo might be in better interest to you.

There is only one replacement for displacement, and that is forced induction. BUT if you can have BOTH then you are flying. Drop a larger motor in that E30 and super/turbo it, and you wil be flying.

However, turbo/supercharging is not really a bolt-on application. You need: fuel pumps/injectors/rails, higher flowing intake, a stronger exhaust manifold (for a turbo), sometimes a standalone fuel management system, custom ECU, and as boost levels increase, you need to get forged internals in order to keep your engine together. This also excludes the necessary complimentary mods such as a proper suspension, and proper brakes to go along with the added speed.

Put it this way: if your car wasn't meant (built) to be super/turbocharged, you are going to spend alot of money, but the gains are worth it. Super/turbocharging can be a veryyy finicky process, and should be dealt with by professionals (read: expensive).

There are alot of things I haven't even covered, but this is just the beginning.

nicely said, there are a lot of things involved! ..... I was gonna go deep, but I think ///MILK wanted some basic info!!!*th-up*

///Milk
08-31-2003, 06:05 AM
k...thanks guys! :)
u could of gone more "in-depth" with it would take me about 1 month to understand it but...thanks...im getting smarter!! *th-up*