PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel Shaking - help plz

BMW Fan
08-27-2003, 12:09 PM
My steering wheel is shaking whenever it wants to, despite speed...............wtf is going on? Its not suppose to be happening!

Someone plz help *sad* -its a 96 320

HooliGaN*
08-27-2003, 12:29 PM
is it a strong vibration perhaps
cause thats what i have and its my power steering which is going in my case i believe.

and does this happen on every turn

Julian

BMW Fan
08-27-2003, 12:33 PM
It doesn't happen on turns...like if I'm driving on a normal 60-80 zone....out of nowhere it will begin to vibrate.........sometimes more kinda hard...sometimes not at all

If I grip my steering wheel...u can't really notice it.....but once i let go....it does.............

I'm really pissed! I am hoping its not costly at all....:mad:

HooliGaN*
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
oh that
well that mayb a bit easier problem to solve ive seen this happen when peoples tires arent balance and rotated.

almost positive that it
its very common

do that it should help'

Julian

crusher
08-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Hmm i have to check my M3's service records. I think the first owner of my m3 had the same problem before and they had to replace something on the steering wheel. Did you get your car aligned, checked for busted rims?

Jeff

Soldo
08-27-2003, 03:11 PM
actually it could be a FEW things, if it shakes under braking, could just be the pads or rotors, if it shakes just whenever, again it might be the rotors, and it could even be lil things such as the tires pressure, or a bent rim, etc.!!
check out as much as you can!

Jon@Bimmersport
08-27-2003, 10:00 PM
it could be a bent rim...my bros wims are bent and at like 100-120 theres a slight vibration

BMW Fan
08-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Well my rotors and pads are new.....I doubt that....I also doubt it being the alignment.....perhaps the front...not sure........

Well what happens is that when i drive on normal roads it out of nowhere begins to vibrate...sometimes harder than others....or not at all........since i needed an oil change for a long time i thought it was that originally ..... so i had a tune up and oil change since i needed it anyways..............BUT still vibrating!

Whatelse do u guys think it can be?

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!

Furious
08-28-2003, 03:09 AM
im putting my money on that its a siezed caliper. who did you brakes last? i bet they didnt remember to take the sliders out and the slider boots to clean them. a lot of places, especially the dealers dont do this so they can soak you for the money later on. check with someone you trust , i bet its a caliper siezed.

BMW Fan
08-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
im putting my money on that its a siezed caliper. who did you brakes last? i bet they didnt remember to take the sliders out and the slider boots to clean them. a lot of places, especially the dealers dont do this so they can soak you for the money later on. check with someone you trust , i bet its a caliper siezed.

You know what? U might be friggen right!!! I had my front rotors and pads from the dealer done....those ASSHOLES!!!!-----And the vibrating happend sometime after that i think.....

~So would the steeringwheel vibrate even if I'm not
braking if this is the cause? Cuz it vibrates when i go
straight

......anyone here can help me with these sliders????????

audiophilia
08-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Caliper...

Just did mine after same symptom...

BMW Fan
08-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Those bastards!!!!!! Man I can't beleive the dealership does shit like that!

Guys who to go to now? And how much is it gonna cost me?

THANKS EVERYONE!

Furious
08-28-2003, 07:23 PM
ya i had the same thing happen , but luckily i get to fix my own stuff at my mechanics shop.

do you have any brake knowledge? if so i can try to give you a step by step, however if the piston is gone on the actual caliper itself than your gonna have to replace the whole thing.

just to let you know that if it IS a caliper sieze than do it asap because it will f*ck your rotor and pad very very quick

BMW Fan
08-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Well I've been making calls to some garages and obviously they can't conclude that its the calipers over the phones...and expecting me to pay for an inspection.....they're all saying its something that deals with the front of the car....

I'm hoping its really inexpensive.....those assholes at the dealership are truly assholes!!! Can't beleive I'm putting up with this shit!

I don't know much about breaks....nor do I have a garage to work on it.................lets say if it is the calipers...how much will it roughly cost?..........and if its not whats the most I can pay? I think i should agree with you that it is the calipers....it puts that dealer shit together........

BTW EVERYONE!---BMW MISSISSAUGA are the ones who did my front breaks!!!

Furious
08-28-2003, 09:36 PM
hate to tell you but they are notorious for re-work, a lot of independant garages know all to well. gimme a PM and ill see if i can help you out.

audiophilia
08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Let me give another side...

Mississauga BMW.

2000 328CI

Warranty

Caliper siezed

Ordered

Back ordered in Munich!

BMW loaner

SA called everyday to tell me caliper's location.

5 days 'till it arrived from Germany.

Brakes fuked (not under warranty)

SA gets me a free brake job all around!

My calipers are painted red (came like that)

SA sends caliper over to Ferarri dealership to get painted (free of charge)...

Service par excellence...

*th-up* *th-up*

Just a different angle...