PDA

View Full Version : thud in the rear end

tiestoE36
08-25-2003, 11:56 PM
i have been hearing a thud in the rear end of my car when in put it in to gear for the past few months, and it has been drivong me crazy. anyways finally today i took it to my mechanic and he changed the transmission oil, no it is running allot smother. the thud has gonr away, for the time being.

i just wanted to report because i have ask ppl here before if the had this problem.

Mitch555
08-26-2003, 03:56 AM
Maybe your tranny is just jumping into gear really hard. Hopefully your problem is solved!

Soldo
08-27-2003, 12:08 AM
i have this same problem, but with me it only happens when the car is cold, like when i first turn it on for the day, after it warms up its all SUNSHINE!

crusher
08-27-2003, 04:36 AM
Maybe your rear shock mounts are kapish?

tiestoE36
08-27-2003, 06:03 AM
well this is a few days later, i still have the same problem, every time i put it in to first, i hear the thud. still need to find out the problem.

jeremy
08-27-2003, 06:07 AM
do you hear a rattling on acceleration or decel ?

SpudBoy
08-27-2003, 12:50 PM
I had the same sound in my old e36 328i. It was just barely noticable. I didn't really consider it a problem since it never got any worse during the two years I owned the car. As I recall from roadfly it was a fairly common occurence but I don't know the fix.

Lets just hope crusher's not right:(

crusher
08-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by SpudBoy

Lets just hope crusher's not right:(

I hope so, but some older e36 have their RMS go bad after years of driving. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago with the JT Design RSM and i'm pretty happy with it.

Anyways, I see you mentioned that it went away when your mechanic put in new transmission oil, now i'm confused usually even if you change oils etc the thumping sound should still be there if the RMS went bad.

Also, get your car lifted and check the underneat. Usually you can find some loose parts that might be causing it.

Jeff

Autotechnica
08-28-2003, 03:06 AM
It's could be your rear sub-frame (diff carrier mounts) are cracked or about to break off. The thud you described is usually the sound of the differential hitting against the chassis. But there is no way to tell unless I can actually hear/feel the thud. Almost anything can cause a thud, so get your mechanic to check it out, a good mechanic.

This problem is usually caused by improper shifting techniques, total abuse of the car or accidents.

Bry

tiestoE36
08-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
It's could be your rear sub-frame (diff carrier mounts) are cracked or about to break off. The thud you described is usually the sound of the differential hitting against the chassis. But there is no way to tell unless I can actually hear/feel the thud. Almost anything can cause a thud, so get your mechanic to check it out, a good mechanic.

This problem is usually caused by improper shifting techniques, total abuse of the car or accidents.

Bry

my mechanic checked that all out, but its nothing like the rear subframe.

as i put it in to first gear, with the clutch full depressed, i hear the thud.

it is an internal thing. it has been doing it on and off since i got the car.