PDA

View Full Version : E30 fan clutch removal

Jon@Bimmersport
08-25-2003, 05:16 AM
is it a big job? i have to remove it..and im going to change it to an electric fan..is this a HUGE job?

nzer
08-25-2003, 06:20 AM
there won't be much gain..,well maybe a BIT from a standing start, but not worth the hassle of perhaps an electric fan failing etc etc). The fan as you know is clutched.. so when your moving it doesn't spin (cept for the wind blowing it round)

as for removing it.. its relatively simple , quite tight against the radiator though. I took the whole waterpump off when i was doing it cause i was replacing my waterpump.

as for mounting the new electric fan.. i guess you can be creative

good luck

Jon@Bimmersport
08-25-2003, 06:32 AM
im not doing it for power..its my fan that wont work...it heats up at stand still, then when i start going it cools down...i dunno wtf is wrong..no coolant or anything leaking

R_JAY
08-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Do you mean the temp is okay at idle and then cools down when moving? That would be a t-stat problem no.

Slowered318
08-25-2003, 07:36 AM
The fan delete mod is not worth the time and money.. if you install an electric fan it's going to drain from your battery and your going to need to put it on a heat controled switch. Plus they are usually very noisey.

I have never had heat problems in any of my e30's, they do cool down a bit at highway speed but if you want better cooling then remove the a/c system and rad. the a/c fan rarely works on E30's and it's very restrictive to the air flowing to the coolant rad. fans should always be mounted behind the rad.. not in front!

Jon@Bimmersport
08-25-2003, 08:12 AM
my fan is behind the rad...

r jay..no during driving its good...get into traffic jams or jus stop and temp rises

nzer
08-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover

r jay..no during driving its good...get into traffic jams or jus stop and temp rises

he's talking about the AUX fan in front of the cooler for the A/C system. It turns on when you press the A/C button.

BMW BMXer
08-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Get a new fan with clutch assy.

Jon@Bimmersport
08-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by nzer
he's talking about the AUX fan in front of the cooler for the A/C system. It turns on when you press the A/C button.

oh haha..i never push that button ;)

R_JAY
08-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover

r jay..no during driving its good...get into traffic jams or jus stop and temp rises I would just change the fan clutch and t-stat to be safe cause you don't want to blow a head gasket and crack the head. I don't think the clutch is that expensive but you should see what bimmersport can do.

SpudBoy
08-29-2003, 09:51 PM
If the clutch fan wasn't needed it would not have been designed into the car in the first place. Imagine yer on the 401 and a large accident has happed... you sit... move an inch... then sit then move a whole foot... then sit again. This happend to me earlier this year in my toyota. I'm no longer considering "fan delete" for my coupe. I don't even want to consider the consequences of over heating my mill.

Autotechnica
08-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Ryan is right. I removed my Aux fan and the A/C is much colder now since the air cools the rad more efficiently. When I pulled out the Aux fan I noticed it didn't look like it belonged on a BMW, it was made in the US and I'm pretty sure in Germany it did not come as an OEM part. I think I must have reduced 20lbs off the front of my car. I would recommend removing this part as after a few years it seizes anyways.

Bry

nzer
08-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ryan is right. I removed my Aux fan and the A/C is much colder now since the air cools the rad more efficiently. When I pulled out the Aux fan I noticed it didn't look like it belonged on a BMW, it was made in the US and I'm pretty sure in Germany it did not come as an OEM part. I think I must have reduced 20lbs off the front of my car. I would recommend removing this part as after a few years it seizes anyways.

Bry

your right .. it doesn't

those of us with german made BMWs made to german spec have grills that don't have holes in them. I can get you a pic if you want. OR .. those without A/C have a filled in grill.

My south african euro spec bmw didn't come with that fan either and i do have an a/c.