PDA

View Full Version : What the hell my fuse is burning out.

SickFinga
08-17-2003, 07:37 AM
Anyway yesterday my fuse #44 burnt out.
I was driving back from the meet, my radio went out.
next day i check my fuse 44 was out.
Replaced it, couple of minutes later it was out again.
This fuse takes care of Radio, Glove box light, windshield wipers and User Operations (WHAT THE HELL IS THE USER OPRATIONS??)
I went to Brian's house got another fuse put it in.
Car was on for about 30min. Radio was working, after about 10minute drive fuse died again.
WHAT THE HELL!!!
I didn't even do anything. Also i got no clue where to start to look for a problem.

Mitch555
08-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Anyway yesterday my fuse #44 burnt out.
I was driving back from the meet, my radio went out.
next day i check my fuse 44 was out.
Replaced it, couple of minutes later it was out again.
This fuse takes care of Radio, Glove box light, windshield wipers and User Operations (WHAT THE HELL IS THE USER OPRATIONS??)
I went to Brian's house got another fuse put it in.
Car was on for about 30min. Radio was working, after about 10minute drive fuse died again.
WHAT THE HELL!!!
I didn't even do anything. Also i got no clue where to start to look for a problem.

Are you sure that you are using the right fuse that is meant for your car? Try a fuse that can handle more load also. What did you guyz do after we left on Friday?

SickFinga
08-17-2003, 08:18 AM
yes i'm sure it is the right fuse.
we went home

Mitch555
08-17-2003, 08:23 AM
yes i'm sure it is the right fuse.
we went home

I was with you there man!! lol Black E36 with the 19inch BBS CH's. I split the pizza with you and Jon at Pizza Pizza.

SickFinga
08-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Mitch555
I was with you there man!! lol Black E36 with the 19inch BBS CH's. I split the pizza with you and Jon at Pizza Pizza.

i know, after i posted it, i checked who asked. And was like WTF YOU WERE THERE :D Then edited the post ;)

Mitch555
08-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I didn't noticed you just edited... it said you went to woodbridge and I was like... uhhh... I was there with you! lol

Mitch555
08-17-2003, 08:28 AM
i know, after i posted it, i checked who asked. And was like WTF YOU WERE THERE :D Then edited the post ;)

HAHA... I understand... afterall itz almost 4:30 in the morning! So you guyz just went home after we left?

SickFinga
08-17-2003, 08:32 AM
well i drove Kenny and Mike home, then went home. That's when my fuse burnt out. Then I went home, and just felt asleep

Mystikal
08-17-2003, 03:17 PM
You've got a short in the circuitry somewhere, which will SUCK to find. Kinda like my heated seats which eat fuses similiarly, it's a short or other wiring problem somewhere in the mess. *mumble*

KennyTheGreat
08-17-2003, 11:16 PM
maybe it's drift related

cuz after u did those drifts last night, ur radio stopped working again....hrmm??
j/p

nzer
08-18-2003, 06:09 AM
yeah there is an earth fault somewhere which is being caused by one of the things.. most likely a switch..

good luck finding it

Gamite
08-18-2003, 06:22 AM
I only got one thing to say:

"I DIDN'T DO IT!!"

......for once.. :P

KennyTheGreat
08-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
I only got one thing to say:

"I DIDN'T DO IT!!"

......for once.. :P

hahahahaha

tho you did see him a few days prior to this...:P

Gamite
08-18-2003, 07:27 AM
maybe cuz I touched it on friday morning..

sonic07
08-18-2003, 01:41 PM
have you done the short circuit testing with the ohm meter ? or with volt meter ?

make sure disconnect harness connector from circuit load

with the fuse off and power off use the ohm meter one lead to fuse and one lead to ground if there is continuity ... there is a short.

using volt meter with car power on, connect one lead to fuse terminal and the other lead to the other side fuse terminal if you see voltage that means there is a short.

i would imagine it's a pain to troubleshoot it back ward.

radio uses fuse 44 and fuse 9 as well
glove compartment, ashtray, charging socket, lighter
uses fuse 44, 32, 33, 37

perhaps i suspect a lose wire/connector somewhere that cost the overload may be behind the stereo console or behind the glove compartment .....
good luck.

SickFinga
08-19-2003, 12:27 AM
sonic07, the problem is fuse burns out only when i drive, so it not short circuiting when car is not in motion.
Also my fuses are a bit different. my 44 fuse only takes care of
wiper blades
glove compratment light
radio
user operations ( i have no clue what this is)

sonic07
08-19-2003, 03:28 AM
sonic07, the problem is fuse burns out only when i drive, so it not short circuiting when car is not in motion.
Also my fuses are a bit different. my 44 fuse only takes care of
wiper blades
glove compratment light
radio
user operations ( i have no clue what this is)

sorry i forgot to mention about the wiper blades.
that's what i was thinking when the car was in motion the loose connection where ever it is causing an over load.

ok how about that terminal connector for wiper blades motor.

ok after assuming all connectors are ok no short anywhere. last possibility is the voltage regulator of the alternator is sending out spike while you're driving due to diodes failure but then everything else would go screwy ..... hmmmm

i wish i could be more help. process elimination is taking so much time .... how about dealers don't they have somekind of electronic - electrical diagnostic system ?

Furious
08-19-2003, 03:34 AM
hey Vlad try pulling your glovebox light and see if it happens again.

SickFinga
08-19-2003, 05:05 AM
ok anyone know where i can pick up a bunch of fuses?

moregothanshow
08-19-2003, 05:36 AM
canadian tire....dollar stores......

Furious
08-19-2003, 05:45 AM
get the good ones, not the crappy ones that BMW originally put in ( you know the ones that you can see the wire on top)

SickFinga
08-19-2003, 06:00 AM
crappy tire sells them in pack which has 1 of each.
I don't want to buy 5 fuses and threw out 4 cause i don't need them
i just need 15A fuses

moregothanshow
08-19-2003, 06:27 AM
maybe try performance improvements....or those uap/napa guys...those kinds of places

Gamite
08-19-2003, 02:34 PM
canadian tire also sells them in packs of the same amperage. Keep looking

WASABI
08-19-2003, 04:42 PM
sonic has a point about the alternator regulator, but then more than one fuse should blow, no? Do you have an aftermarket deck? Pull the loads out one by one, like take out the glove box bulb and drive around, if problem is gone then there's something wrong with that particular circuit. if not, unplug the wiper motor and do it again. Isolate the problem.

Btw, I get my fuses at the junkyard, free. ;)

SickFinga
08-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
sonic has a point about the alternator regulator, but then more than one fuse should blow, no? Do you have an aftermarket deck? Pull the loads out one by one, like take out the glove box bulb and drive around, if problem is gone then there's something wrong with that particular circuit. if not, unplug the wiper motor and do it again. Isolate the problem.

Btw, I get my fuses at the junkyard, free. ;)

you see when glovebox is close there is no power goes to the bulb, so i do not think it si the problem. But could it be there even though it is closed??

you are not the first one that told me to get it of junkyard. but i got no excuse going in there