PDA

View Full Version : street racing the M5

theblue
04-01-2002, 04:16 PM
so a bunch of my friends wanted to take our cars out this last weekend and go for a drive and just get something to eat... the group consisted of a 2k2 M5, a RSX-S, a silverado, and a del sol (I left my maxima at home). We headed south from rochester and ended up at a pizza place in some little town. As we were entering the pizza place we hear some loud car and turn around to see a firebird (like the 98 style) scream down the street and drift around a corner and take off. We go inside and are all talking about how cool that looked etc.. one of the guys working at the pizza place hears us and explains that is his friend's car and it has a 350 pushing 650HP (cam, headers, exhaust, all kinds of stuff). He says he can call his friend and have him come back if any of us have a fast car. So he does and we decide that the M5 has the best chance.

theblue
04-01-2002, 04:16 PM
The guy comes back and we all go outside and look at the cars. The firebird is mean sounding... you can tell he has an agressive cam because the thing can't idle well. The firebird owner checks out the M5 and wanted to know what kind of engine it had and if the guy really thought he had a chance... so we head out of town and find their local street that they use for racing. We get people at both ends and line the cars up. My friend is in his M5 and looking worried because the firebird is sounding so mean. I flag them and it was a fair launch. The stay even until the firebird shifts into 2nd gear... the M5 pulls 1/2 a car and then shifts hard into second gear... about the top of second they are side by side again, but the firebird shifted into 3rd first giving the M5 a car length advantage. the M5 hits 3rd gear and pulls to about a total of 2 cars over the firebird... a clear win for the M5.

theblue
04-01-2002, 04:17 PM
they both drive back to the start and I walk up to the firebird and ask if he wants to run again. he explains that "my engine is overheating so I shutdown early, I have to get out of here and go work on it" before I can lean over to see his temp gauge he takes off and is never seen again. The rest of the people from the pizza place who had closed up shop to come see the race were stunned and left with a look of horror on their faces because they didn't know what an M5 was and they can't believe it killed a known 650HP car.. we all drive back to the city with smiles on our faces

Lil'Smoothie
04-01-2002, 06:09 PM
lol go German power

i hate american muscle *uzi* ford, gm

Gamite
04-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Wow, way to go M5, I woulda thought for sure that Firebird woulda won, those are pure straight line cars!

Maybe he didnt tune it properly, it didnt sound right that his engine was overheating. :huh?:

GR8 Ride
04-01-2002, 07:47 PM
650 HP out of a Chevy 350 is pretty extreme, unless you're pumping a LOT of air into them.

They do respond well to superchargers, but then you'd be more likely to hear the whine of the supercharger, rather than an engine that *lopes* due to an aggressive cam profile.

NOS will help to get a serious bunch of HP into the 350 as well, but I suspect the 650 HP is more like 350 HP, and I'd imagine that's a bit of a stretch as well.

I'd suspect the kid's math involved a lot of manufacturer's claims (and a big chunk of BS...). The usual 20% for an exhaust, 10% for an intake, 30% from a chip etc....

Pat

Lil'Smoothie
04-01-2002, 08:07 PM
yup those guys are the worst the ones that think they have 300 hp in their civic with an exaust and air intake

theblue
04-02-2002, 12:45 AM
a pic from that night :D

Slowered318
04-04-2002, 12:20 AM
650 hp ..that's pure BS! look at his tires.. NO WAY they could hold 650 to the ground hahah!

M5 german muscle the olny way to go!

I wanna drop a 540 V8 in my car.. sooo sweet!

SickFinga
04-07-2002, 04:51 AM
haha at his wheels
650hp with those tires HAHAHAHAHA

EMPOWERD
04-07-2002, 04:57 AM
Most people talk-the-talk, but can't walk-the-walk. What a loser... those are the guys I go hunting for with my Civic Wagon. Great story Blue... good ending.

Lil'Smoothie
04-07-2002, 02:35 PM
lol, wow randy cruising in that thing must be fun eh, get some type r stickers on their for a good laugh. I bet tons of Civic Si's will see the type R stickers and laugh and than get blown away lol

E36COMPACT
04-07-2002, 09:46 PM
That firebird probably has 300 horses tops (and im being generous) The other 350 came from the %$#* he was talking from his ass. Just like someone else said, the tires alone are proof.....they look no bigger than 225's....whatever....nice kill for the ///M5!:D *th-up*

E36COMPACT
04-07-2002, 09:50 PM
By the way great story....plus you had the pic for proof to put the icing on the cake...nice touch!:D

SiR
04-14-2002, 03:49 PM
good story!
hey i have 300 hp from my i/e :moon: :rolleyes: ;) :D

M54TU Schnitzer
04-14-2002, 06:19 PM
hahahaha.. that's a cool story. way to go, M5
I think those guys are going to trade in all their muscle cars plus their pizza shop and get a BMW.
now they know what is the ultimate driving machine.:cool: