PDA

View Full Version : Fan delete mod

Furious
08-12-2003, 03:06 AM
ok i know this has been a subject of disscusion before, but is it worth it to do this modification? should i ever worry about overheating in the summer? (i realize its not super hot in Toronto but we can still get pretty smoking!)

BoBimmer
08-12-2003, 03:53 AM
I did a fan delete on my E30 so I am now running the aux fan in front of the radiator and a flex-a-lite in back of the raiator where the clutch fan was. I live in Texas and if you watch the news you know lately we have hit 110 degrees F. THATS HOT AS HELL! And for the last 2 weeks have not had one day below 100 degrees! My car stays under the half mark on the temp gauge. With my A/C running constantly! During the winter i dont notice the difference power wise but this summer it started bogging down because my clutch fan was always engaged! So I put the electric in and damn what a difference! Plus it ran between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up on the heat gauge now it is below a half. Everyone told me the electric fan would not cool enough in an E30 because they do not cool as easily as E36's do but damn it worked wonders for mine so I hope you will be equally impressed! DO IT!! Plus it is soooo easy and so cheap!

hatnlvr
08-12-2003, 12:32 PM
What were the necessary parts to do it in your E30??

I did this in my E36 but I definately would do it in the E30 too.

BoBimmer
08-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Well ifyou want it to look good the you can get a E36 cap for the water pump shaft that connects to the clutch fan so when it is removed the cap covers the end of the shaft and make it all pretty! Also you will need a Flexalite black magic fan! It is model #150 Comes with all the universal mounts for mounting to the radiator! Works the best of any electric fans ive seen! Flows maximum CFM! Other than that it comes with all the wiring and stuff that you need! Need anymore info just post up or PM me!

djcontra
08-17-2003, 01:32 AM
I've got fan delete on my car along with a supercharger and I dont have any overheating problems (knock on wood).
I run the electric fan all the time though (pretty noisy)

Peter1998
08-17-2003, 08:49 PM
no overheat problem for me on my e36 328is with fan delete.

97 Z3 2.8
08-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm finding your words encouraging here guys! Now with the Flexalite, does it get a signal from the thermostat that tells it to turn on, or it is always on?

SpoolinS6
08-18-2003, 07:59 PM
it gets a signal from a coolant temp switch when it gets to a certain temperature the fan should turn on!

Furious
08-18-2003, 09:22 PM
how much for the flexlite? and i also should finally get my aux-fan fixed, im gonna take it apart and fix it myself, and save some $$ i can get spare parts from the mechanics place if i need. and next year ill put the a/c back on. :D thanks so much for the info guys