PDA

View Full Version : granny shifting?

\/\/eapon
08-12-2003, 02:47 AM
could some one explain what granny shifting and double clutching is to me?

vin diesel talks about it in the fast and the furious but i never really understood.

jeremy
08-12-2003, 02:53 AM
please dont start this conversation again...... look here http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19730&highlight=double+clutching

crusher
08-12-2003, 02:54 AM
i think granny shifting means u shift around 2 to 3 thousand RPM? There's a huge double clutching thread around here just search for it :)

GTX
08-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Most of that was just movie talk Granny shifting is putting the clutch in before the shift, if you are a skilled driver you can drive the car faster with no clutch. I takes practice but i can do it, ive done it in mid day traffic in fl so it is possable to do with the correct practice. Its all about timing. As for double clutching again, this is a term used in the movie that has no place, in a drag race you would never do this, in an auto cross race you would to save the clutch and give you smother transitions from braking to accelleration through a curve like if you were down shifting through a corner, and you wanted a smooth transition you would double clutch it.

tlaselva
08-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Granny shifting means you let go of the gas while the clutch is in, and then stomp back on it when the clutch is released.
In contrast, power shifting is you keep the gas fully depressed, as you shift rapidly.
The latter isn't recommended as it does place a great deal of stress on your powertrain.

Slowered318
08-13-2003, 04:34 AM
I donno.. but!

Autotechnica
08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Granny shifting means exactly what it says. You shift like a Granny, very slowly. Most people will do this to avoid misshifting or perhaps they just suck.

I don't do powershifting at all, as one mistake can have fatal consiquences. Bye bye tranny.

Double clutching is used in downshifting. Say your in 3rd gear. You depress the clutch, pop the gear into neutral, lift off the clutch completely, then blip the throttle (spinning the flywheel), step on the clutch again, downshift into 2nd gear, blip the throttle once again, then off the clutch completely. It takes a while to get use to , but once you do, your downshifts will be flawless and very very smooth.

Bry