PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Alaska has a Question

Adam M
08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey guys, Iím the newbie for today I guess. Iíve been coming to this forum for a few weeks now, mostly just getting info about certain things about this and that. I recently acquired a 1987 BMW 325i 4-door that is in pretty ok shape. It has a little rust around the lower door trim, but nothing too bad. Iíve spent about 2 grand on nick nacks for it in the last 3 weeks, buying stuff on Ebay. I got a set or Leather seat shipped from Boston, which the seats only cost me 255, but the shipping was 332 because I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I got an intake, and a heat shield I just won from LukasBMW, an OPTIMA yellow top battery, ALPINE CDA-7876 deck, and so far thatís about it. Iíve been thinking about getting some sort of body styling kit for it, but I canít seem to really find any good ones. I was also going to buy some rims for it, seeing as how it has the stock bimmer rims, some springs and shocks wouldnít hurt either. I have to admit that I really know shit about cars. Iíve always wanted to get my hands on working with them, but work takes up most of my time. So Iím thinking that anything that I am going to want to do to this car, is going to have to be done through a good mechanic, which I donít know of a good one here in the cold north.

So, last week someone posted a link to this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2427022070 My question to all of you is: Would it be worth it to me to get this? I have the money just laying around, and Iíve read a couple of threads saying about how they, (being you guys of course) would chose to get a turbo if you had the chance. But do you think this is a good deal, or just a gimmick? I donít what kind of shape you would call it in, but to me it doesnít look too bad. But what the hell do I know? So yeah, would it be a good investment for me to go with this, instead of a costly engine swap, or upgrading it into a stroker? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Well, itís good to be a part of the Max Bimmer family. I sure enjoyed reading all of your posts, (even if some of them made no sense to me). Thanks.

Adam
*th-up*

Adam M
08-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Or better yet, would it be even a better idea to just buy this engine and try to have it placed in my car. Just a last thought before bed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33615&item=2427173075

Thanks,

Adam

97 Z3 2.8
08-08-2003, 03:26 PM
I'd be picking up the Turbo. Easier to install, your engine respond well to boost. I've been in a 72 2002 with a turbo 2.5 installed. Pulls extremely hard. Faster than an Alpina B7 Turbo! The M50 engine will cause a lot of wiring ans sensor headaches you don't want to deal with. Be sure to get a good boost gage, blow off valve and turbo timer. Look at HKS for this. Suspension- try Eiback, H&R for springs. Koni, Bilstein for shocks. Body kit..Just get 325is and E30 M3 peices.

Bill

moregothanshow
08-08-2003, 04:40 PM
i would also suggest look in the for sale forum in this site.... there are quite a few E30 parts for sale at the moment, and u can always look at the past posts as not everything always gets sold right away....i think that would help u a lot, seeing this is a friendly community i dont think u will get jacked up shipping prices as most e-bayers do. ppl here just want to get rid of their old stuff, not make a living ripping ppl off on shipping charges....

Adam M
08-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Right on. Thanks for the imput. I think I will probably go for the turbo set up. Hopefully it will workout for the best.

Adam

Jon@Bimmersport
08-09-2003, 04:53 PM
isnt alaska full of snow/ice? how do u drive a bimmer there???? take some pics of up there

BlackTape
08-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
isnt alaska full of snow/ice? how do u drive a bimmer there???? take some pics of up there

Im down here in Florida....

Isn't Canada only snow and ice all year long???:confused:

Miguel
08-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by BlackTape
Im down here in Florida....

Isn't Canada only snow and ice all year long???:confused:

Isn't Florida only retired people, drive-by's and Ex-Disney employees?:confused: