PDA

View Full Version : Holy! what'sup with my gauges!

mpower1226
08-05-2003, 03:24 AM
driving by myself, minding my own business and suddenly I see my gauges completly shuts off. meaning my speedo,tach,fuel everything own the guage panel shuts off and a second later everything turns back on. like when you turn your ignition on, the lights comeson and goes away soon? like that. But with no mechnical failure. When it dies, the car still moves.

Help me please

Predator_e36
08-06-2003, 12:25 AM
yeah thats happenin with mine too

i have to either change the whole cluster or the module that controls it. i'm just waitiin for it to die

KennyTheGreat
08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
thers a reason to speed now... lol

Jon@Bimmersport
08-06-2003, 01:56 AM
alternator?

it happened on dildomatic's and bmw bmxer's car

Autotechnica
08-06-2003, 03:14 AM
Something odd happened to my car too. Since I've owned the car for more than a year now, the odometer has never been on till a few days ago. When I was driving all of a sudden it came on and now it's always on, strange.

Anyhow, I think it may have to do with the wiring. As our bimmers get older the wiring starts to degrade and BMW's have always been known for their electrical glitches.

But your problem is quite odd. :confused:

Bry

Furious
08-06-2003, 11:36 AM
i have the exact same problem with my gauges , its a blown capacitor in the main board. usually you have to replace the whole instrument cluster. its pretty expensive so ive lived with it for a month. it goes on and off but most of the time it stays on.

Gamite
08-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Something odd happened to my car too. Since I've owned the car for more than a year now, the odometer has never been on till a few days ago. When I was driving all of a sudden it came on and now it's always on, strange.

Anyhow, I think it may have to do with the wiring. As our bimmers get older the wiring starts to degrade and BMW's have always been known for their electrical glitches.

But your problem is quite odd. :confused:

Bry

yours could be just the light bulb, the filament might be broken, but just flopping around, and when you hit a bump it bounces it back in place.

Mitch555
08-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I've had the same problem for 3 years! lol... They go off when they feel like it and come back on a few seconds later! Sometimes it happens a few times a day! Pain in the ass if you ask me! Itz been alright the past few weeks though! Getting better though!

Furious
08-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mitch555
I've had the same problem for 3 years! lol... They go off when they feel like it and come back on a few seconds later! Sometimes it happens a few times a day! Pain in the ass if you ask me! Itz been alright the past few weeks though! Getting better though!

sounds like maybe you should check the harnesses (three of them behind the instument cluster) also check/change the fuse from those old crappy ones (the ones with the wire visible on top) to one more up to date (may not look blown but could have a slight break blah blah blah. check them out and PM me if you need instructions on how to remove/re-install the instument cluster.

mpower1226
08-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
i have the exact same problem with my gauges , its a blown capacitor in the main board. usually you have to replace the whole instrument cluster. its pretty expensive so ive lived with it for a month. it goes on and off but most of the time it stays on.

well, today, with my mech, we took out the cluster, trying to find the problem. Now when you take it out, you cant really tell, you need take the whole cluster apart to see whatever. So what the heck, I took it out, tokk apart, then broke the pins that hold the circuit board to the cluster(you cant take it out unless you break the pin) and resolder everything. I checked the capacitor too but it was okay. and....the result? no good. 3hours work for nothing.

still no good, and plus I blew all the fuses while playing around with cluster. Onlything that was helping was....I found the chip on the board where I could reprogram the screen for millege and everything, oh and I took out the airbag sign too. so nomore airbag sign with momo steeriing wheel on.

my point? I need to get a new cluster. Well since I found the way to reprogram it, I get a used one and reprogram it to my current milege.

Furious
08-09-2003, 10:58 AM
talk to chucks auto they have some, (well at least for my car.) im just to lazy to change it, (thank god i know how much gas i always have)

Mitch555
08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
sounds like maybe you should check the harnesses (three of them behind the instument cluster) also check/change the fuse from those old crappy ones (the ones with the wire visible on top) to one more up to date (may not look blown but could have a slight break blah blah blah. check them out and PM me if you need instructions on how to remove/re-install the instument cluster.

I'm gonna take a look at it this week. When you say "also check/change the fuse from those old crappy ones (the ones with the wire visible on top) to one more up to date". The fuse is not with the rest of the fuses in the fuse box? Thanks for your help!!! *th-up*

Furious
08-11-2003, 07:38 PM
im not sure what you ment but the fuses are located in the engine bay drivers side at the back. i think there is like 7 different fuses for the instuments, lemme look under my hood and ill let you know which ones again.

Peter1998
08-11-2003, 11:41 PM
I got this kind of problem too before.. in rain day it is more worst.. i think the problem is not the cluster look at the forum below, it maybe help a bit

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79896

Furious
08-12-2003, 12:22 AM
no mines exclusivly just the instument panel

mkgino
08-12-2003, 12:36 AM
my gauges have gone ape shit recently on me too. I think it could be from installing my chrome gauge rings, but I dont know. what is happening to me is that my rpm gauge wont move and my temp gauge stays on the cool level.

Do this, do that trick where you turn your key to position one in the ignition and hold down the reset button on the gauges. If you see the gauges move then something else might be affecting them.

Furious
08-12-2003, 01:53 AM
did it correct yours MK? i tried it and i absolutely am positive i need a new cluster , this is why i think so

1- checked all fuses and changed them
2- checked all wire connections
3- checked for corrosion or faulty connections from female to male ports where plugs go
4- pulled cluster appart to check for any bad or corroded sodder spots on face board.

there is really only a question of if its behind or in the mother board or a blown capacitor, (the only thing is i cant smell anything that might have blown)

mpower1226
08-12-2003, 04:12 AM
I even pull out the board to see the back side(which you have to break the pin), with no luck.

Mitch555
08-12-2003, 04:23 AM
im not sure what you ment but the fuses are located in the engine bay drivers side at the back. i think there is like 7 different fuses for the instuments, lemme look under my hood and ill let you know which ones again.

Sorry. I was asking if you meant the fuses were not in the fusebox in the engine near the back for the guages. I misunderstood what you said then! my fault. I'll let you know what happens when I check it out one of these days!

Furious
08-12-2003, 11:24 AM
cool, if your comming to the meet than ill help you out, i should have some extras (but just incase bring some of every size and even the 5amp ones)

Mitch555
08-12-2003, 06:25 PM
cool, if your comming to the meet than ill help you out, i should have some extras (but just incase bring some of every size and even the 5amp ones)

Alright Sweet! Hope to see you there! *wave*

j0nblayz
11-26-2005, 09:15 PM
sorry to bring back an ollllddd topic, but furious did you figure out what was wrong? i'm starting to have the same problem suddenly.. Please let me know if you know a fix pleasee

mpower1226
11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
sorry to bring back an ollllddd topic, but furious did you figure out what was wrong? i'm starting to have the same problem suddenly.. Please let me know if you know a fix pleasee

i've since then, just changed the cluster. but I've contacted some of board member who could fix it for about 100 bucks. i think it was adriano. I might be wrong though, its been a long time.