PDA

View Full Version : R&D on Angel eyes

sonic07
08-04-2003, 02:50 AM
finally i got the in-pro + angel eyes from Marius ...
i got all the bulbs from CT, 4 H1 55W, 2 194. some choke spring for 5 bucks because one of the bulb retainer spring is missing so i made my own and bought a bunch of allegator clips from RS.

the angel eyes come on with 194 bulb that sit with the hi beam. now i wonder if the angel eyes should come on with daytime running light or with low beam or with the hi beam or perhaps i should install separate switch for it or should hook them up with the fog lights. let me know what do you guys think or is any body here owns a set of those angel eyes .... how do they work?

qimis
08-04-2003, 03:45 AM
SWEET ! *th-up* it looks nice ... cant wait to see some pics after you installed it

Mitch555
08-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Gotta love those angel eyes!!!! :cool:

now lets see some pix of them on your ride!

sonic07
08-04-2003, 04:49 AM
patient ... soon it'll be on the ride, i just need one more part is the 4 prong female connector .... got to go get it from the dealer ...

sonic07
08-04-2003, 02:53 PM
i wonder if the angel eyes should come on with daytime running light or with low beam or with the hi beam or perhaps i should install separate switch for it or should hook them up with the fog lights. let me know what do you guys think or is any body here owns a set of those angel eyes ....
what sequence do they suppose to work ?
heeellllpppp! , thanks.

Mitch555
08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by sonic07
i wonder if the angel eyes should come on with daytime running light or with low beam or with the hi beam or perhaps i should install separate switch for it or should hook them up with the fog lights. let me know what do you guys think or is any body here owns a set of those angel eyes ....
what sequence do they suppose to work ?
heeellllpppp! , thanks.

Hook up the Angel eyes to any 12 volt wiring! Itz all personal preference which 12 volt wiring you wanna hook it up to though.

sonic07
08-04-2003, 11:40 PM
aha .... i just got a good idea from 4life to hook up the angel eyes to the corner light .....

bmwm5lover
08-05-2003, 12:04 AM
looks nice!

Mitch555
08-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
looks nice!

You don't "Love It"?!? :D

Soldo
08-05-2003, 05:46 AM
Not sure if this helps, but try to make them turn on the same way they do on a E39 5er!

sonic07
08-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Not sure if this helps, but try to make them turn on the same way they do on a E39 5er!

hmmm ... and how's that ?
please explain .....

Soldo
08-05-2003, 05:56 AM
well not positive, and i think it would be better if someone that knows for SURE would post, but i believe that when the LOWS are on ALL of the ANGEL EYE rings are lit up!
However, i believe they are a lot brighter but it might be different in person!

sonic07
08-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
well not positive, and i think it would be better if someone that knows for SURE would post, but i believe that when the LOWS are on ALL of the ANGEL EYE rings are lit up!
However, i believe they are a lot brighter but it might be different in person!

yup, that's exactly what i had in mind. and by hooking it to the corner lights therefore it's only on in the night since in the daytime is not really visible ....
thx

Soldo
08-05-2003, 10:17 AM
NP, its always best to make it look as factory as posible!

Jon@Bimmersport
08-05-2003, 06:56 PM
inpro's will never look like E39...

cuz u cant take out those rings i dont think...thats why u buy ZKW and put Lava Lamp or DDE in it. INPRO imo looks cheap...sickfinga did the 2.0 LED conversion and u still cant see them while driving

sonic07
08-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
inpro's will never look like E39...

cuz u cant take out those rings i dont think...thats why u buy ZKW and put Lava Lamp or DDE in it. INPRO imo looks cheap...sickfinga did the 2.0 LED conversion and u still cant see them while driving

well i wasn't even trying to make it look like not even close to E39. you're first guy to tell me that it looks cheap that's ok .. i can take criticism. i wish it was cheap but nevertheless i looks better than the original plastic lens crap at least this one they're strong temper glass. yes you can take out the ring including the inner lens and replace them with the inner lens and the ring separately.
and also you can change the angel eyes bulb with alot strong one. most ZKW in the market are replica, the real one complete with angel eyes is like over 1000 bucks then this is not a toy anymore. may be next time when i get a brand new 330xi or the new audi s4. for now it's just a toy .......

EstorilM3
08-05-2003, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonic07
[B]...blah, blah, blah...QUOTE]

Can't help you with the "Angel Eyes", but the high beams are used as DRL's in BMW's!

Not a wise move to use 55W Quartz Halogen bulbs in high beam lamps for the DRL's!!!! It's gonna be a dazzle-city!!!!! You will also fry the bulbs on a regualr basis due to voltage spikes - the DRL's come on automatically when the ignition is turned on - there is a huge voltage spike then, and it will keep burning the bulbs out.

Disable the DRL's. It's legal in Ontario to do so. Turn on your headlamps (low beam) when you're driving.

To disable the DRL's you will need to replace the CDN spec headlamp relay with a USA spec one which you can buy at the BMW dealer. It's about 50 dollars or so - long time ago since I bought mine. Part no. 61 35 8 370 510, I believe.

sonic07
08-06-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by EstorilM3
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonic07
[B]...blah, blah, blah...QUOTE]

Can't help you with the "Angel Eyes", but the high beams are used as DRL's in BMW's!

Not a wise move to use 55W Quartz Halogen bulbs in high beam lamps for the DRL's!!!! It's gonna be a dazzle-city!!!!! You will also fry the bulbs on a regualr basis due to voltage spikes - the DRL's come on automatically when the ignition is turned on - there is a huge voltage spike then, and it will keep burning the bulbs out.

Disable the DRL's. It's legal in Ontario to do so. Turn on your headlamps (low beam) when you're driving.

To disable the DRL's you will need to replace the CDN spec headlamp relay with a USA spec one which you can buy at the BMW dealer. It's about 50 dollars or so - long time ago since I bought mine. Part no. 61 35 8 370 510, I believe.

you are absolutely right ..... i think that's what i got now the USA spec relay because just today i saw an E36 with DRL on the hi beam as usual and mine is the low beams are always on all the time as soon as i start the engine. i don't get it about the 55W is not good cuz in-pro manual says that to use that for both low and hi. thanks for your idea .... and i will check that part # if that's what i got since the low beam it's on all the time. another strange thing when i pull the signal lever i get hi-beam but when i push forward i get absolutely nothing ....wonder why ....

Jon@Bimmersport
08-06-2003, 02:48 AM
well i wasn't even trying to make it look like not even close to E39. you're first guy to tell me that it looks cheap that's ok .. i can take criticism. i wish it was cheap but nevertheless i looks better than the original plastic lens crap at least this one they're strong temper glass. yes you can take out the ring including the inner lens and replace them with the inner lens and the ring separately.
and also you can change the angel eyes bulb with alot strong one. most ZKW in the market are replica, the real one complete with angel eyes is like over 1000 bucks then this is not a toy anymore. may be next time when i get a brand new 330xi or the new audi s4. for now it's just a toy .......

they are good, i know...im not trying to say that they're useless..im just saying to make them look like e39 is impossible.

sonic07
08-06-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
they are good, i know...im not trying to say that they're useless..im just saying to make them look like e39 is impossible.

don't worry bro ... i know what you're saying. if i would've have more money to spare i would've get E39 cuz from now on i got to watch what i am putting into this car ...... because so far in the last 3 weeks i just add up all the bills that i spent for this car is already totalling up to 3000 bucks and i still need rear spoiller and may be tint windows,17" rim, CAI, exhaust (may be next year), the list goes on and no end. just like my 2 harley-davidsons. and when i put it away for the winter time i going to have the whole body work .... bumper to bumper and i'm still debating of changing the colour but people tell me it's bad idea because the original paint it's better but i like the audi white pearl or cadillac white pearl.

EstorilM3
08-06-2003, 12:07 PM
you are absolutely right ..... i think that's what i got now the USA spec relay because just today i saw an E36 with DRL on the hi beam as usual and mine is the low beams are always on all the time as soon as i start the engine. i don't get it about the 55W is not good cuz in-pro manual says that to use that for both low and hi. thanks for your idea .... and i will check that part # if that's what i got since the low beam it's on all the time. another strange thing when i pull the signal lever i get hi-beam but when i push forward i get absolutely nothing ....wonder why ....

Hmmmm...someone has messed around with your electrical system/wiring!!!

The E36's in US did not have the DRL's, so no low beam or high beam comes on down there when they turn the ignition to ON.

Some Americans have DRL's, but that's only because they have installed the CDN headlamp relay. Otherwise, no DRL's. CDN headlamp relay activates the high beam, NOT low beam.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about E36 models, not others.

The fact that you do not get the high beams when you push the lever forward is, to me, a good indication that your wiring has been tampered with!

Not sure what you mean that 55W is "not good".

The standard bulbs in Euro lamps (Hella/Bosch/ZKW) E36 headlamps are H1's 55W. No other bulbs were used over there, because anything over 55W is illegal, and your wires may melt causing a major fire!

Edit...I may be wrong about only high beams working as DRL's on the E36's. There 'may' have been early models of this car that had the low beams as DRL's as well.

Others may verify this. If not, call BMW of Canada Customer Service in Whitby, and ask them.

sonic07
08-06-2003, 04:00 PM
EstorilM3 : thanks for the info

i will check it out what's going on ....

sonic07
08-06-2003, 08:05 PM
i just finished making the terminals

SickFinga
08-06-2003, 08:09 PM
ok here it is
on older e36 i think before 95, there is no DRL, when you start the car your low beams come on. on newer e36s there is a small DRL bulb in the highbeam housing. To disable it, you gotta change it to US relay like everybody said before. I did it to my car and it is so much better. Relay is about $34 with tax.

P.S. I got inpro's and THEY SUCK!!!!!
They are better than plastic, but ohhh boy they suck. First DO NOT use anything higher than 55w bulbs. DO NOT buy blue bulbs even if they are 55w.

SickFinga
08-06-2003, 08:11 PM
sonic07, btw a good way to do a convertion to euro wiring without cuting the wires.
get your 9005/9006 bulb and saw off the bulb and leave only the part for the connector.
so you won't need to cut your wires.
it is hard to explain, but just take a look at the bulb and you will understand what i mean

sonic07
08-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
ok here it is
on older e36 i think before 95, there is no DRL, when you start the car your low beams come on. on newer e36s there is a small DRL bulb in the highbeam housing. To disable it, you gotta change it to US relay like everybody said before. I did it to my car and it is so much better. Relay is about $34 with tax.

P.S. I got inpro's and THEY SUCK!!!!!
They are better than plastic, but ohhh boy they suck. First DO NOT use anything higher than 55w bulbs. DO NOT buy blue bulbs even if they are 55w.

thanks for the info
what do you mean the inpro sucks ....? bulb or the inpro headlight housing ...?

basicallly i just need something better than the plastic one ...

sonic07
08-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
sonic07, btw a good way to do a convertion to euro wiring without cuting the wires.
get your 9005/9006 bulb and saw off the bulb and leave only the part for the connector.
so you won't need to cut your wires.
it is hard to explain, but just take a look at the bulb and you will understand what i mean

ahhh that's not a bad idea .... thx

sonic07
08-10-2003, 05:20 AM
now i got everything installed .... looks better than before i actually can see some lights infront of the car. one bad thing about these headlights housing is that when i wash the car and wash the headlights after was done there was condensation inside the lens but when it was raining they were ok no problem. anybody have any fix for these lens from fogging up ?

Steve7792
08-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Looks Alot Better, Congrats.