PDA

View Full Version : How To Save On Insurance???

Tommy Boy
08-01-2003, 07:29 PM
INSURANCE IS A FREAKIN PAIN IN THE ASS!!! GUYS, LETS SHARE OUR TIPS ON SAVING MONEY ON INSURaNCE!!!!!!! (I NEED THE TIPS REAL BAD!!) LOL:P :P :P

King Luis
08-01-2003, 07:43 PM
go along time without getting tickets
accident free for a long time.
if you are young like me (17) be a secondary driver and get your full G licence as soon as possible

djcontra
08-01-2003, 07:58 PM
move away from toronto and the insurance is 50% cheaper, no joke. I had my address listed as an ajax one, and I pay ajax rates even though I live and work in toronto.
If you have family or relatives outside of the city, have your licence transferred to their address.

Tommy Boy
08-01-2003, 09:46 PM
interesting....but dont they check if ur adress is correct??? And i am looking for ideas to save money that would not involve my family (mom and dad mostly) being convicts...more IDEAS!!!

app
08-01-2003, 10:03 PM
you're just rooked by your age/driving record or lack of. I know it's hard to believe, but a lot of 17 yr's old drive pretty fast in the t-dot, and usually drive pretty dangerously. ;)

If the area wasn't considered high risk, they wouldn't charge the rates.

Sunapollo
08-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
move away from toronto and the insurance is 50% cheaper, no joke. I had my address listed as an ajax one, and I pay ajax rates even though I live and work in toronto.
If you have family or relatives outside of the city, have your licence transferred to their address.

2nd that .. I am currently studying in Waterloo and I bought my car's insurance by using the Waterloo address and it's WAY cheaper than in Toronto...

djcontra
08-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Sunapollo
2nd that .. I am currently studying in Waterloo and I bought my car's insurance by using the Waterloo address and it's WAY cheaper than in Toronto...

exactly! The bonus for me though is, I pay the same rate being a primary driver as I would being an occasional driver @ the toronto rates!
Even though I pay the same price, as a primary driver I get to start building up a nice insurance record for the future (with hopefully lower rates! :))

e46it
08-02-2003, 02:15 AM
here is a tip:

get insurance for 6 month period. once your policy is about to be expired you will be notified and you will get a discount based on your record for the last 5 months if you did not have any tickets or accidents....

i did this with my E36 back in 99. I've been driving since 92 without insurance till 99 when i got my first Bimmer...
for the first 6 months i paid $255/mth and after that i renewed my policy for another 6 months @ 190/mth. Afterwords, i changed my contract on yearly bases and it dropped to 170/mth....

but the A holes are raising my premium due to the industry increases.. now i'm going to change my insurance company since i have found one much cheaper....

Jim .E.
08-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by E46iT
here is a tip:

get insurance for 6 month period. once your policy is about to be expired you will be notified and you will get a discount based on your record for the last 5 months if you did not have any tickets or accidents....

i did this with my E36 back in 99. I've been driving since 92 without insurance till 99 when i got my first Bimmer...
for the first 6 months i paid $255/mth and after that i renewed my policy for another 6 months @ 190/mth. Afterwords, i changed my contract on yearly bases and it dropped to 170/mth....

but the A holes are raising my premium due to the industry increases.. now i'm going to change my insurance company since i have found one much cheaper....

care to share which one?*wiggle*

e46it
08-02-2003, 02:56 AM
I'm with Co-Operation now switching to Personal but you have to belong to a group such as bank or so.... You can always say you are employed by BMO.....

Mr seville
08-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by E46iT
I'm with Co-Operation now switching to Personal but you have to belong to a group such as bank or so.... You can always say you are employed by BMO.....

what about a consulting firm:huh?:

Tommy Boy
08-04-2003, 02:24 PM
ANY MORE TIPS OUT THERE!??!:confused:

djcontra
08-04-2003, 02:27 PM
You could also save a bit by getting theft and liability without collision.
Collision is what jacks up the price quite a bit, and if you think you can drive without smashing into another car, then it'll do fine for you. The plan still covers you if somebody smashes into you however.

Tommy Boy
08-04-2003, 03:58 PM
To save money I should...1. Get a car that is some what insurance friendly 2. Dont get theft, fire , glass coverage and all the extra coverages3. Dont get collision on my car (i hit some one and my insurance company fixes their car but mine is ****ed)4. Tell them all the saftey things on my car 4. Ask for money off for my good grades5.Shop around and bargain.... and other good ways to save money
If i put the car under my parents name what will happen?? We have 2 cars already, so wouldnt i have to be the primary driver anyways??? thanks for the info guys:P