PDA

View Full Version : Short shifters bad for engine?

chitown
07-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I told a buddy that I was gonna get a shortshifter soon and he told me to advise against it because it can potentially mess up the engine? And he also said it lowers the resale value of the car? Don't know if he's just talkin shit but are there any potential problems with installing one?

bmwwade
07-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Hmmmm..... Your buddy is confused. Installing one may prevent you from messing up your engine as the shifts are more positive and you will be less likely to select the wrong gear. As for resale value that would depend on who is buying your car. If an enthusiast is buying it it wouldnt hurt the value but if grandma is it could. Installation isnt easy but it is a do it yourself if you have some mechanical apptitude.

chitown
07-30-2003, 10:30 PM
True I suppose. Not sure why he would tell me that though, he has a short shifter on his Maxima, must be confused.. :)

moerom
07-31-2003, 12:24 AM
A proper short shifter is fine (e.g. Neuspeed designed the original short-shifter).

A cut stock shifter is bad, b/c the decreased leverage will cause you to not fully engage the gear, resulting in tranny wear.

King Luis
07-31-2003, 03:53 AM
Pro: shift times will decrease result in extended life if tranny
Con: can't really think of any. but i know some people don't like it