PDA

View Full Version : Gas meter all F*%& up

Soldo
07-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Hey guys, my gas guage is all messed up, i dunno why. Last week i was gone all week and my car was on quarter tank and wasn't turned on for a good week, then i came back drove it around a bit and filled up the tank, and when i turned the car back on i noticed the gas was still on 1/4 tank so i drove it around and when i turned it back on a half hour later it went to the fill line, FINALLY!
so then this morning i filled my tank up again, and now the same thing happened but it still hasn't gone back up, and when i turn the car on its COMPLETELY empty on the guage even though the tank is FULL, anyone else have this problem, or know what the hell is going on!?
Thanks guys

MP328
07-30-2003, 07:38 AM
i had that before happening. usually when i overfilled it, it would happen. do u always fill up until the gas starts coming out? i used to and that would happen. now i just stop when the pump jumps out the first time.

the first time that happen to me was a while back. i just filled it up all the way and took of the gas station, and the needle was like only at 1/2 tank, like wtf. so i pull in in the next gas station again and try to fill it up and get only like 20 cents in hehe. the guy was looking all strange at me when i was paying.

since my car was still under warranty at that time, i brought it in and told the dealership about it. and they just told me to stop overfilling it. and if it still doesnt stop doing that, then that piece that's floating inside ur gas tank is ****ed up

maverick
07-30-2003, 11:26 AM
the fuel tank sending unit might be screwed up

do you use petro canada a lot??? they had a problem about a month ago with their gas, the sulphur content was extreamly high and a lot of people started bringing their cars to the dealerships cause their fuel meters stoped working after a bunch of cars with the same problems started showing up they traced it back to the gas company also shell shares gas with petro so same deal if you use them. I never did hear if the gas company was paying for the repairs or reimbursing those effected.

Soldo
07-30-2003, 08:12 PM
FAKKKKKKKKKK!
Ya i filled up with SHELL both times!!!
DAMMIT!!
so what, if i start puttin sunoco back in should it FIX itself, or does it need to be manually repaired!

maverick
07-30-2003, 08:40 PM
you can try it and pray it rights it self but not too often does a fuel sending unit repair itself it has to do with the components being burned (corroded) from the sulphur.
I was using petro can too I haven't used it since I heard the story on the news.

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 09:02 PM
damn, ive been using petro too!

chitown
07-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Same, heh

Back to Sunoco I guess :)

maverick
07-30-2003, 09:56 PM
im sure there gas is fine now the car that got hit the worst was the pontiac Sunfire dont ask me why but those cars were going in to the dealerships by droves replacing the fuel sending units and gas tank seals.

Soldo
07-30-2003, 11:49 PM
could it be because of anything else though?!

Quack
07-31-2003, 01:27 AM
good job maverick, most people don't pick that up, I insist that everyone stays away from Shell gas, they are by far the worst, nothing but Sunoco goes into my tank, they sulpher rating in Shell gas is over 440ppm, while Petro and Esso has about 240ppm, Sunoco has the lowest sulpher rating, once your fuel level sensor is malfunctioning you should replace it, it will not fix itself.

moregothanshow
07-31-2003, 02:00 AM
my gas guage used to never go completely full no matter how much gas i put in it and it was only sunoco.... but after i started using the canadian tire fuel injector cleaner (pink bottle with 5 uses) the fuel meter would show full and some so i am guessing that fuel injector cleaner shit must have did something to the tank along the way.....just sharing my experience...

Soldo
07-31-2003, 04:06 AM
thanks guys, so those cacksuckers at shell screwed me i guess!!
Oh well back to the good ol days of the 94 octane!

330DTM
07-31-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
thanks guys, so those cacksuckers at shell screwed me i guess!!
Oh well back to the good ol days of the 94 octane!

Actually I don't have any problems with Shell for my Toyota Corolla and the Volvo.

However back when I had the 328, I did experience some problems with the gas metre and don't know if it was the Shell gas or just one of the faulty sensors. Eventually the dealer replaced the sensor and I think something else and I continued to fill it up with Shell gas without any problems.