PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid!

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Well my current power steering fluid is REALLY REALLY LOW! So i went and bought synthetic(penzoil i think) power steering fluid. Now here is the problem. the Fluid i have in my car currently, is pink, but the one i just bought, is yellow. Will anything happen if i mix them? also, im not sure if the one inside is synthitic or not?
help ASAP!

Predator_e36
07-30-2003, 01:38 AM
nothin well happen

but if u have a leak then ur just wastin it

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 01:44 AM
hopefully i dont have leak LOL, if i do, then ill just keep adding until i fix it..HEHEHEHE

Predator_e36
07-30-2003, 01:54 AM
hehe, if does leak later on, try somethin thicker

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 02:14 AM
well this one (valovoline) says it prevents/blocks leaks, etc... well we shall see. i just put it in, but i put a bit too much.....heheheh
o well, better more, than less....

KIRASIR
07-30-2003, 02:40 AM
BMWs require Dexron type ATF to use as power steering fluid. Sounds like you put the wrong thing in.

SL

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 02:51 AM
WTF? the canadian tire parts guy told me that its ok to use that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: will this do anyhting bad?

maverick
07-30-2003, 10:38 AM
im not sure that the 2 will mix it shouldn't do any harm. but here's a question for you WHY WOULD YOU EVER LISTEN TO A CT REP ABOUT YOUR BMW??? they dont know how to fix the domestics never mind the imports. When my oil pan was leaking the guy told me to take a self taping bolt and drive that in to the oil pan to re-make the threads, when I asked him what about the metal shavings that will end up in my pan?? he practically ran away those guys are idiots. They all think they know everything there is to know about everything. BRUTAL. If you have some time disconnect the line after the pump and drain the fluid while your there check your clamps, P/S rack seals dust boots for any fluid drain it all and fill it with ATF dexron II

maverick
07-30-2003, 10:41 AM
One more thing if your car is leaking ATF oil make sure you put something under the car because ATF oil is slightly acidic and will KILL any and all asphalt it touches if enough is leaked to the same area it will turn the ashpalt in to regular gravel it will fall apart.

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 01:58 PM
man this thing is getting too complicated..... im just gonna leave it the way it is now. i havent added more than 200milliliters anyway, so i dont think it should make the difference in the world. What do you think? Or should i drain the system?

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 01:58 PM
BTW, This DIY thing im trying to get going here, IS NOT working out.... BTW, i think i need a new fuel filter.... shoul di attempt that?

maverick
07-30-2003, 01:59 PM
nah id say leave it but keep an eye out for leaks

maverick
07-30-2003, 02:04 PM
fuel filter is real easy it is a in line filter just behind the drivers seat its under a metal cover take down the cover loosen the hose clamps...pull out the filter...plug the line with your finger plug in the new filter both lines and tighten clamps put guard back on. done and done

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I saw where it was yesterday, but was going to refer to the CHILTON manual for instuctions, but i guess i dont need to anymore...

maverick
07-30-2003, 02:16 PM
if you dont mind smelling like a little bit of gas cause you will get it on your hands.

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 02:19 PM
no, i actually LOVE the smell of gas! lOL, btw, would you happen to know what Lambda control # 1 is or an DME???

maverick
07-30-2003, 02:36 PM
lambda is definatly a fuel problem im waiting for a call back on the DME

maverick
07-30-2003, 07:49 PM
I couldn't find anything on control #1
lambda is fuel related
I found Code #1 is air flow meter
Code #2 is Oxygen Sensor
Code #3 coolant temp sensor
Code #4 throttle switch malfunction

because of the lambda code I think that there most likely is a problem with the air flow meter I have found a bunch of diagrams and information so dont run off thinking you need a meter yet there are a bunch of things you can do it might just need a cleaning. I can type out the list of things if you want it can be a little tricky to understand with out the diagrams though.

Is the car running fine?? it might be as simple as the air temp sensor malfunctioning.

let me know

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 07:59 PM
well the car is running ok. Here is a few things that im aware of that need changing. Air filter, ITS DIRTY AS HELL, and fuel filter, also old. it could be as simple as the air filter? i cleaned out the box where the air filter goes in, but havent changed the filter its self, since im waiting to save up for an K&N.
now what exactly is this air flow meter? is it the part that attaches to the air filter tube?

maverick
07-30-2003, 08:09 PM
thats right its its the thing just before the air box has the throttle on it so on so forth if the air filter is as dirty as you say the throttle flap or the air flow flap could be restricted by dirt which is causeing the fault. Id go back to CT and get a basic panel filter for now I dont think they are much money put a K&N panel filter in too don't use a cone filter there more trouble then they are worth.

maverick
07-30-2003, 08:10 PM
the K&N of course if for when you have the funds

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 08:15 PM
now, if i were to change the airfilter, i shoul dget the all clear code, right? And if i dont, what else could it be?

bmwm5lover
07-31-2003, 01:23 AM
just checked CT, they want 40$ for the regular filter for my car. the K&n is 76. ill just save the extra 36 dollars, and get the K&n.

maverick
07-31-2003, 10:16 AM
wow I didn't think they'd be that much:eek:

Jon@Bimmersport
07-31-2003, 01:02 PM
my bros car smells like gas sometimes..why? fuel/air filters? i dunno..

bmwm5lover
07-31-2003, 04:03 PM
well i have th same problem Jon. I looked over the records of my car, and quite frakly,that problem has been there for quite some time. He changed fuel lines, and other fuel related stuff, at the dealer, and apparently, it still didnt resolve the problem. Im going to change the fuel filter, and see how that works out....

bmwm5lover
07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by maverick
wow I didn't think they'd be that much:eek:
Ya, i know, and whats even worse was, that it was FRAM! And i read some bad stuff about their oil filters/fuel filters/air filters......

bmwm5lover
07-31-2003, 05:25 PM
HAHAHA! You wont believe this! Its 25$ at the dealership, and 40 at CT.LOL

maverick
07-31-2003, 06:54 PM
oh man thats crazy....I had a fuel smell from my car too I figured it was the pick up line from the gas tank and to repair that you have to drop the tank.

Acidblast
08-05-2003, 01:28 AM
terry you gotta use a power steering fluid with dexron. you know if its dexron b/c the fluid is red and not brown like all the other power steering fluid. just recently i had a leak in my rack and pinion steering and i had to replace it. charlie got me the parts for about $400 and installed it for about $150. not bad deal considering everyone else wanted $1500.

nzer
08-05-2003, 02:46 AM
carful with K&N filter in your car.. i've seen lots of problems in E30s with K&N filters and AFM dying. And yes i'm talking about the slab filter.

heh yet another BMW leaky power steering.. get it fixed or fix it yourself.. it makes one less thing to think about.

as for the gas smell.. run round ya car with a lighter until .. heh

bmwm5lover
08-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Can anyone confirm on the K & N Filter????

maverick
08-05-2003, 02:52 PM
I haven't heard of that before but it is possible.