PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 04:26 AM
1) My car was always run with synthetic oil, so do i have to continue running it with synthetic, or can i switch to the castrol GTX? Can i switch back an forth? Im mostly considering running just synthetic, but id liek to know anyway..

2) What was that site where it told you all the different codes yu get when pressing the gas pedal?(?)

thanx in advance.:confused:

SickFinga
07-29-2003, 04:31 AM
1. i don't really think your car was runing only on synthetic. Keep in mind it is $100 to change it.
2. try www.unofficialbmw.com

johnoz
1) Check out roadfly for this
2) http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18605&highlight=owners

Slowered318
don't know about question 2 but as for oil you shouldn't switch between synthetic and regular. if your gonna make the switch do it once but it would be better to continue using synthetic

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 04:43 AM
SickFinga
1. i don't really think your car was runing only on synthetic. Keep in mind it is $100 to change it.
Wanna bet?

O, and John, thast the site i was looking for! Thanx!

SickFinga
07-29-2003, 04:51 AM
there is no way to prove it terry.
i don't get then, if previous owner used only syntetic, how come he took such a bad care of the body of your car? it is 1990, and i've seen 1983 in better condition, it just doesn't make any sense.

anyway, i use synthetic and i will continue to use it, if you wanna take care of the engine, all you can do is feed it with good gas and lube it with best motor oil.
but like i said oil change will run you about $100 and you should do it every 5000km

Eurostyle
07-29-2003, 05:40 AM
If you do your oil change every 5K there is NO point using synthetic! Use regular Castrol at $20 per change and you will be fine...The money you will save in a year or two will be enaugh to buy a good used engine when this one goes, somewhere at 600K!!! Besides from what i know if you use sycthetic in a HIGH milage engine it can burn more oil then normal....

sonic07
07-29-2003, 02:21 PM
what kind of oil do you used (synthetic )?
most of oil on the market it says synthetic but usually it's not 100% synthetic. if it not 100% then there is no problem switching to none synthentic which usually multigrade. the molucules will combine from the left over in the engine to the none. if it is 100% synthetic then it's best if you do an engine flush first to get rid off everything out of the engine before switching. i don't know for sure if this is still apply with today new technology but that was from the old school shell 101 ....

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 03:51 PM
there is no way to prove it terry.don't get then, if previous owner used only syntetic, how come he took such a bad care of the body of your car? it is 1990, and i've seen 1983 in better condition, it just doesn't make any sense.

I have bills etc(some i threw away, others i kept that prove synthetic oil. As far as the rust on the hood.sunroof, like i said before, tha car sat at an outside storage for more than 8 months cause the owner went to their country.

Fil, will any of the gaskets go if i were to switch?

jeremy
07-29-2003, 03:55 PM
if your engine was always run on synthetic, than keep it on synthetic....dont do the switch unless you plan on doing a complete flush ! just my .02

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 03:56 PM
whats does an "flush" involve, and most importantly, how much?

2slow3
07-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I agree with jeremy, stick with it. Your gaskets should be fine. the only reason people say to worry about your gaskets is if you go from regular to full syn oil. even then, the syn won't ruin gaskets, it will just find small leaks that you may not have seen before, as it doesn't gum up as much as regular oil.

my .02 *sleep*

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 06:38 PM
could synthetic oil on a higher mileage engine cause some smoke to come out the exhaust? Ivve heard it can.

sonic07
07-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
whats does an "flush" involve, and most importantly, how much?

you can take it to the lube shop if don't like doing it your self ....

otherwise it's very simple. get engine flush solution from canadian tire and read the instruction. before the oil change run it a few minute with the engine flush and then completely drain it but even though it's completely drain out of the oil pan there is always some oil left in oil pump, tapet, and every little corner in the engine so what i would do get some cheap multigrade oil refill the crankcase and run it again for so many minutes untill the oil circulates everywhere, and then do the oil change with new filter.
there is nothing wrong with the synthetic oil ... why do you want to change ..... all my vehicles i use only mobile1 .... unless some dealer can supply them ....

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Sonic, what about my question up there?^

Also, im prob gonna stick to synthetic and change it every 8000-10 000 K's

sonic07
07-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
Sonic, what about my question up there?^

Also, im prob gonna stick to synthetic and change it every 8000-10 000 K's

which question ?

good idea stick to synthetic ....

bmwm5lover
07-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sonic07
which question ?

good idea stick to synthetic ....

could synthetic oil on a higher mileage engine cause some smoke to come out the exhaust? Ivve heard it can

92BMW325
07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Synthetic is a not a must. Conventional oil is more than sufficient to lubricate and protect the engine if you change your oil say every 5K. If you want to go synthetic for 'peace of mind' (hehe) the only time you'll need synthetics is in Winter where synthetics provide the best viscosity and protection from metal to metal contact than the conventional oil. Synthetics dont thicken that much in Winter compared to regular oil. You've seen the commercial. Go ahead, try the test yourself. Shove the conventional and synthetic oil in the freezer and see what happens hehe

My Polish mechanic has a shop and I've seen him work on old MB, BMW and Audis with varying mileage from 400k - 750K and the engine is still going strong..no synthetics used by the mature owners of these fine German automobiles.

M50E30
07-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Terry,

Switching between synthetic and mineral oil will NOT harm your engine.

-BUT-

If your car has been running on regular oil for along time then DON'T go to synthetic! Why? Because in the old gaskets deposits build up and seal the engine preventing leaks and switching to synthetic will eventually clean the deposits away and your engine will leak like crazy.

In my mind if you are tight for cash just stick with good ol' Castrol GTX.

Dave
*th-up*

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by M50E30
Terry,

Switching between synthetic and mineral oil will NOT harm your engine.

-BUT-

If your car has been running on regular oil for along time then DON'T go to synthetic! Why? Because in the old gaskets deposits build up and seal the engine preventing leaks and switching to synthetic will eventually clean the deposits away and your engine will leak like crazy.

In my mind if you are tight for cash just stick with good ol' Castrol GTX.

Dave
*th-up*
thanx for the advice Dave. On my old car i only used GTX(and so does my dad, and i was happy with it.
Now, i have decided to continue putting in only synthetic oil in it, since i dont like to change when there is no need to... Besides itll only be about 10-20 dollar difference. regular oil, 3000K X 30$ X 3 times= ~90$ One synthtic change every ~8-9K's-80-100