PDA

View Full Version : balljoint help

Soldo
07-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, just curious abot a few things, my fender on the front passenger side has been popped out due to the tire rubbing against it. I was told that that would be due to the balljoint so i was just wondering anyone know the price on one of these babies, and is there any specific one i should get (ie. is the M3 one better, and fits a 325?) And the price difference would be great as well,
Thanks guys

Soldo
07-29-2003, 12:07 AM
ANYONE?!?!
guys i really need help on this and ANY help would be REALLY appreciated!

MP328
07-29-2003, 07:53 AM
bimmersport replaced mine a few months ago, but i forget how much it was :(

maybe $150 for the driver side? i can't tell u now. just give him a call or pm him. but he might not be online very often

T-spec
07-29-2003, 09:20 AM
$35 for the front outer, and $45 for the inner

Furious
07-29-2003, 12:11 PM
balljoint is a balljoint, if your gonna upgrade go to something aftermarket, but they are more expensive.

Soldo
07-29-2003, 10:52 PM
alright, just got the 2 balljoints from the dealer and it cost me 60 for both, so theres 2 per side?!

MP328
07-30-2003, 07:46 AM
yes there is an inner and outer on each side. and i remember how much i paid. it was $80 i think installed

Autotechnica
07-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to add something. The inner ball joint is a weak point in the E36's suspension. It usually needs replacement much sooner than the outer ball joint (possibly the other way around, I forget). Upgrading to anything aftermarket is very very expensive. I would suggest using stock ones and replacing them more often. It will help if you can manage to replace them yourself, because you will have to do it often in the future. Especially if you track/auto-x your car. Auto-x especially puts lots of stress on the suspension components. The parts from the dealer are relatively cheap. However, it is quite labour intensive if you don't have the right tools.

Another common weak part in the control arm is the inner control arm bushing. It needs replacement usually when the ball joints wear out. You can see if the bushing needs replacement when the rubber looks like it's being pushed out. Anyways, stock E36 bushings are just terrible. I would recommend getting E30 or E36 M3 bushings. They are much stiffer and will last WAY longer. They are $180CDN a pair from the dealer (M3) but well worth it in the long run. I believe stock ones are $60. It may be 3 times the price, but you save the labour costs of having to replace them 3 times.

Bryan

KIRASIR
07-30-2003, 05:25 PM
The inner balljoints are not removable and have to be replaced with the control arm. The outer ones develop play with as low as 20k.

SL

Originally posted by Autotechnica
Just wanted to add something. The inner ball joint is a weak point in the E36's suspension. It usually needs replacement much sooner than the outer ball joint (possibly the other way around, I forget). Upgrading to anything aftermarket is very very expensive. I would suggest using stock ones and replacing them more often. It will help if you can manage to replace them yourself, because you will have to do it often in the future. Especially if you track/auto-x your car. Auto-x especially puts lots of stress on the suspension components. The parts from the dealer are relatively cheap. However, it is quite labour intensive if you don't have the right tools.

Another common weak part in the control arm is the inner control arm bushing. It needs replacement usually when the ball joints wear out. You can see if the bushing needs replacement when the rubber looks like it's being pushed out. Anyways, stock E36 bushings are just terrible. I would recommend getting E30 or E36 M3 bushings. They are much stiffer and will last WAY longer. They are $180CDN a pair from the dealer (M3) but well worth it in the long run. I believe stock ones are $60. It may be 3 times the price, but you save the labour costs of having to replace them 3 times.

Bryan

greekthang
07-30-2003, 06:40 PM
When outer ball joints are replaced the next time around that they need to be replaced replace the inner. For every out ball joint you replace every other time you replace the inner

Soldo
07-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks you guys for all the help!
much appreciated!

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 01:55 AM
Ok now I'm confused. Didn't KIRASIR just say that the inner one isn't removeable and must be replaced with a whole new control arm?

Someone please clear this up!

Thanks,

Bryan

KIRASIR
07-31-2003, 04:53 AM
Okay let me repeat that again:

INNER BALLJOINTS MUST BE REPLACED WITH THE CONTROL ARMS. THEY ARE NOT REMOVABLE.

OUTER balljoints are not removable for M3s and have to changed with the control arms as well. For all the OTHER E36(including non //M Z3s) the OUTER balljoints can and should be replaced once in a while.

SL

Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ok now I'm confused. Didn't KIRASIR just say that the inner one isn't removeable and must be replaced with a whole new control arm?

Someone please clear this up!

Thanks,

Bryan

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Okay let me repeat that again:

INNER BALLJOINTS MUST BE REPLACED WITH THE CONTROL ARMS. THEY ARE NOT REMOVABLE.

OUTER balljoints are not removable for M3s and have to changed with the control arms as well. For all the OTHER E36(including non //M Z3s) the OUTER balljoints can and should be replaced once in a while.

SL

Right on! *th-up* I got confused because people where telling me I need to replace my inner ball joints quite often as well without telling me I had to change the control arm. How often should you change your control arms?

Bry

Furious
07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
to clarify the whole balljoint issue, ive been told that the inners dont go as easy as the outters do, and they can just replace the inner balljoint without having to replace the whole control arm. if you have to replace the whole thing its because its recomended (or maybe its a way to get more money) ive personally seen the inners replaced on both an e30 and e36.

KIRASIR
07-31-2003, 04:58 PM
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/3er.balljoints.htm

I have personally taken both of my controls arms out, and there is no way INNER ball joints can be replaced.

1) they are not available from the dealership
2) they are part of the control arm, and cannot be removed.

SL

Originally posted by Furious325is
to clarify the whole balljoint issue, ive been told that the inners dont go as easy as the outters do, and they can just replace the inner balljoint without having to replace the whole control arm. if you have to replace the whole thing its because its recomended (or maybe its a way to get more money) ive personally seen the inners replaced on both an e30 and e36.

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 05:50 PM
Still confused.. :confused:

KIRASIR
07-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Which part you don't understand? :)

From the link posted above:

]There are two ball joints on each control arm of a 3 series car.
If you have a bad ball joint on an E30 you will need to replace the control arm as a
complete unit, this does not come with a new rear bushing or bracket, so now is the time
to change your bushings also.
E36 vehicles do not require replacement of the control arm if the outer ball joint is bad,
if the inner one is bad, you must replace the complete control arm, again, the rear
bushing and bracket are separate.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Autotechnica
Still confused.. :confused: [/QUOTE

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Which part you don't understand? :)

From the link posted above:

]There are two ball joints on each control arm of a 3 series car.
If you have a bad ball joint on an E30 you will need to replace the control arm as a
complete unit, this does not come with a new rear bushing or bracket, so now is the time
to change your bushings also.
E36 vehicles do not require replacement of the control arm if the outer ball joint is bad,
if the inner one is bad, you must replace the complete control arm, again, the rear
bushing and bracket are separate.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Autotechnica
Still confused.. :confused: [/QUOTE

Gotcha, perhaps some people are confusing the inner control arm bushing with the inner control arm balljoint. Control arms are a pain in the ass. If you have the money and don't want to bother replacing things seperate, just buy the whole control arm. Or better yet, a LTW Aluminum control arm :)

Bry

Furious
08-01-2003, 02:11 AM
my fault i was thinking outside , yes ya have to replace the whole arm. i had to get under to check myself, thanks for the correction KIRASIR

bimmersport
08-02-2003, 01:40 AM
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/3er.balljoints.htm

I have personally taken both of my controls arms out, and there is no way INNER ball joints can be replaced.

1) they are not available from the dealership
2) they are part of the control arm, and cannot be removed.

SL

You are correct in saying that they are NOT available from the dealer BUT wrong in saying that they are not removable. You can buy the inner ball joints seperately aftermarket(around $30each). I have replaced them many times (without replacing the complete arm), and most recently on the control arms for notjoe's car.

Autotechnica
08-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by bimmersport
You are correct in saying that they are NOT available from the dealer BUT wrong in saying that they are not removable. You can buy the inner ball joints seperately aftermarket(around $30each). I have replaced them many times (without replacing the complete arm), and most recently on the control arms for notjoe's car.

Awesome! Thanks Charlie *th-up*

Bry

notjoe
08-02-2003, 02:10 AM

This i can vouch for! I watched him torch it off and put on the new one myself. I too was sure that they could not be replaced since it was exactly that which everyone was telling me, until i saw it.

KIRASIR
08-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Hey Charlie,

You should visit this board more often. We need this kind of inside information once in a while. ;)

OKay, I stand corrected.

However, when I replaced mine, I actually went to a parts supplier and they had no ball joints at all for e36 in their database (This was a pretty big wholesale parts distributor.). So I ended up buying a set of outer ones from the dealer.

Could you be more specific about the actual procedure?
How are they removed and what tools are required? Also how are the new ones installed?

When I installed mine I read every single peice of info on the net about replacing balljoints, and this is the first time I hear about inners being replaced.

I might as well replace them now on my car.

Thanks

SL

PS One a side now, Charlie, how much do you charge for clutch replacement?