PDA

View Full Version : adriano's car is sick!


phaust
07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
wtf is that! the car is talking? how he made this? mp3 playing? or it's working for real?

and the plate remover in the front.. how he do that? i need this kind of stock for my back plate.. anybody have some plan?

in overall, this car is VERY nice!
*th-up* *th-up* *th-up*

HARTGE_H50!!!
07-28-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah that plate-remover thing may be quite usefull ! hehe :D
Nice car

djcontra
07-28-2003, 08:37 PM
It shouldn't be too hard. All I think you need is an actuator to lower the plate and bring it back up on command.
Now you'll probably want to buy an electric actuator, but a hydraulic one would be smoother or at least more reliable ( but costs a lot more).
Mount the actuator behind the bumper, and have it's one arm push the plate forward, and back with a joystick (or buttons).
If you have no idea what an actuator is, you can buy these actuators at a hobby shop, as they're used to control things like the flaps on R/C airplanes, rudders on R/C boats, etc.

phaust
07-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Djcontrat: thanks for the hints dude!
*th-up*

SpoolinS6
07-28-2003, 11:12 PM
HIS CAR IS MINT!
it was nice too meet you adriano at autonation~

djcontra
07-28-2003, 11:31 PM
I got some things mixed up. The model planes and boats use servos, not actuators. A servo might work for the plate thing as well, but it would need to be pretty heavy duty.

phaust
07-29-2003, 05:09 PM
humm i will try something weird.. but i think i will be able do do this with the thing inside the door bell! :idea:

well the mecanic inside it.. if you have time. check this out by yourself..

mine was not working yesterday.. i opened the box.. and saw a lot of things to do with that :huh?: :idea: *th-up*

Adriano
07-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, much appreciated!
Phaust, I have made a diagnostics system for my car. I did not use releys rather a PLC and driver board that controls all functions of my car. When something is activated or goes wrong a command plays thru a speaker in the top SS consol. I can program the sytem to give 16 commands and upgrade it to 256.
:cool:

Adriano
07-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
It shouldn't be too hard. All I think you need is an actuator to lower the plate and bring it back up on command.
Now you'll probably want to buy an electric actuator, but a hydraulic one would be smoother or at least more reliable ( but costs a lot more).
Mount the actuator behind the bumper, and have it's one arm push the plate forward, and back with a joystick (or buttons).
If you have no idea what an actuator is, you can buy these actuators at a hobby shop, as they're used to control things like the flaps on R/C airplanes, rudders on R/C boats, etc.

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
Actually, not to be a dickhead, but I have over 45 hours invested into making that thing. First off you would need a lathe, CNC mill, wirecut EDM, Drillpress, Bridgeport, and a file:D
It took me more time to build that then to install my body kit!
Anyways you cannot use an actuator because the smallest one available is too long to fit between the bumper and A/C fan so I had to make a custom feed screw system. Here are detailed pics.

Adriano
07-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Here is a pic of the drive unit. The bottom one is a standard 38-16 thread which was too slow so I had to turn a ACME thread with a 8 pitch to tilt the plate faster.
A little more complicate than you thaught djcontra?

Adriano
07-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Here is the electronic unit I made for it.

Adriano
07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey why am I still a rookie member. Somebody hook me up!!!!

djcontra
07-30-2003, 12:07 AM
Wow! I like the feed screw idea, I never would have thought about doing that at all (I guess I need to watch more monster garage and junkyard wars lol!). It's too bad there isn't a small enough acuator because it would have made everything a lot more simplified. I bet one might work for the rear plate though!! *hint hint*

Major props for all the hard work Adriano! *th-up*

Sunapollo
07-30-2003, 03:10 AM
This thread is too technical for me but sounds interesting !
could someone explain ? *wave*

WASABI
07-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Interesting, which PLC are you using? I think an actuator from Festo or SMC would have made it easier for you, 45 hrs, wow! Industrial size actuators aren't that expensive, and you can get them in what ever torque you need, I agree those ones from the Hobby shops aren't strong enough. Props for fabricating the ball screw though. *th-up*

phaust
07-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Adriano : damn! the licence plate remover is very impressive!!!

and do you have more information on your diagnostic system? like.. how it's been done.. how you recorded the voice etc etc..

it's seem very interesting to know how you did that! what are the "function" you diagnostic with that?*th-up* *th-up* *th-up*

Adriano
07-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Wasabi,
SMC-already checked. Most actuators are 24V and even still couldn't find anything compact enough.
PLC is by Automation Direct DL06 Micro PLC. This unit can be programed with packaged software or custom software.

Phaust,
I cant give all my secrets away! But I can tell you that the PLC also has inputs for checking info (amp temp, power, fuses, etc.) then a signal is outputed to a recording module that plays preprogramed digital voice recordings.

notjoe
07-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Wow! I like the feed screw idea, I never would have thought about doing that at all (I guess I need to watch more monster garage and junkyard wars lol!). It's too bad there isn't a small enough acuator because it would have made everything a lot more simplified. I bet one might work for the rear plate though!! *hint hint*

Major props for all the hard work Adriano! *th-up*

I bet the servo would have worked too.. either way that is a pretty sick thing to do! It gives me some ideas ;)

notjoe
07-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Adriano
Wasabi,
SMC-already checked. Most actuators are 24V and even still couldn't find anything compact enough.
PLC is by Automation Direct DL06 Micro PLC. This unit can be programed with packaged software or custom software.

Phaust,
I cant give all my secrets away! But I can tell you that the PLC also has inputs for checking info (amp temp, power, fuses, etc.) then a signal is outputed to a recording module that plays preprogramed digital voice recordings.


Are you Running ODB1 or 2? Have you ever thought about swapping them out for a computer driven system? Like a laptop/pocket PC type of setup mounted somewhere

King Luis
07-31-2003, 02:57 AM
ya i think a heavy duty servo should work.
it is just the connections and hooking everything up
but the movement of a servo isn't much. unless they make ones that do many rotations

Adriano
07-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by notjoe
Are you Running ODB1 or 2? Have you ever thought about swapping them out for a computer driven system? Like a laptop/pocket PC type of setup mounted somewhere


*angel* *angel* *angel* I'm way ahead of ya. Computer is being fitted and may be ready for Importfest!

phaust
07-31-2003, 12:29 PM
that's very nice! i hope too see a video of that too!!


keep up the 007 dude! hehehe*th-up* *th-up*

devarato
09-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by phaust
that's very nice! i hope too see a video of that too!!


keep up the 007 dude! hehehe*th-up* *th-up*

ditto....

adriano the car looks sweet man!! good job!

Adriano
09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks again everyone!
OK as per everyone's request, a movie of the rockets firing!
http://www.s3mag.com/rockets.wmv

DSrugis
09-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Adriano, I just made my way over to these boards and dtmpower.net. I am the one who judged your car at Street dreams both years and I still love it. Great originallity in it. Hopefully I will have my civic sold and an E36 M3 for street dreams 4. See ya there and keep up the inovation.

Dave

Adriano
09-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DSrugis
Adriano, I just made my way over to these boards and dtmpower.net. I am the one who judged your car at Street dreams both years and I still love it. Great originallity in it. Hopefully I will have my civic sold and an E36 M3 for street dreams 4. See ya there and keep up the inovation.

Dave

Thank you again. If you need any assistance with your future car, please don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck and believe me that you will find more knowlege on these two boards than in any dealership. I learned everything I know about BMW from this board and dtmpower.net . Good choice in future car *th-up*
By the way, pick up the September edition of Speed Style and Sound magazine. My car if featured in it and they have a great write up.

M3ti Compact
09-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Sunapollo
This thread is too technical for me but sounds interesting !
could someone explain ? *wave*

Oh...just the in house weapon of mass destruction...*uzi* *th-up*