PDA

View Full Version : BMP Multi trottle system

Sylak
07-27-2003, 04:53 AM
http://www.bmpdesign.com/bmw/parts/catalog/engine_31.shtml

what do you thing about that? pretty expensive. do you thing it worth it?

it's not that i'm thinking about puting that on my baby. i'm just curious. this system his like a M3 system.

Jordan
07-27-2003, 06:45 AM
Putting that on a otherwise stock m20 would be a complete waste of money.

Unless you are bored/stroked to 2.8-3.0l you wont see any sort of gains.

Even on such motors, its more a conversation peice then a performace accessory.

Autotechnica
07-27-2003, 04:06 PM
If you put that on any stock motor you would totally kill all your low end torque. Without other headwork it will actually make your car slower. You need to make your intake ports larger and possibly increase your displacement by increasing the borexstoke of the engine. Proper tuning will also be required. There is a lot of calculations involved in making it work properly. This is definitely not just a bolt-on and go mod.

Remember that the whole point is to increase the airflow, if your engine already has sufficient airflow this mod is useless, not to mention without porting out the intake ports it is also useless.

Bry

Jon@Bimmersport
07-28-2003, 02:44 AM
wouldnt this be the same as having a eurospec M3 engine then? like if u got the 95 M3 motor and put this in, wont it increase horsepower to maybe 260hp? cuz euro is 286 then US is 240...so..? i dunno..im jus guessing and watever, but wat kind of increase will u get if u have a 95 M3 motor is what im asking

Autotechnica
07-28-2003, 03:18 AM
Jon,

The Euro spec M3 motor is a totally different motor rebuilt from the ground up where as the US spec M3 is a modified M50 motor w/ thicker cyl walls, larger displacement and other differences. Just slapping on the multi-throttle intake manifold may or may not do something, it depends if on the US spec M3 motor the restriction is the air flow. If it is, the intake system is useless unless you also increase the diammeter of the intake ports right before the manifold.

You can't just expect to spend money and keep slapping things on. You actually have to find a shop to dyno your car and tell you the specs you need everything to be. My advice is to either buy everything BMP (if you want this manifold) or have one custom made to your specs and requirements. I don't think anyone here really has any BMW that will require this type of modification. You can only go so far with bolt-on mods. After that, you really have to get into the oily bit.

Bry