PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on stainless steel braided brake lines

Autotechnica
07-25-2003, 05:54 PM
I have Earl's (BMP) stainless steel braided brake lines. I didn't get the ones coated in teflon hoses as I thought they were purely cosmetic, I could be mistaken. I've read on a website recently that sometimes dirt can get into the braids causing them to fail. However, on stock E36 brake lines they are coated with a very thick rubber so no dirt can get in. Is this correct?

The SS braided brake lines were originally developed by Nascar. Anything developed for racing cars scares me as the parts are replaced quite often whereas parts for road cars are meant to be installed and then left alone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bry

Furious
07-25-2003, 06:02 PM
i think your right on the fact that BMW used a thick rubber to coat them, but SS brake lines are great, i dont personally have them but they are a great upgrade, you shouldnt have to worry about replacing them , i mean your not gonna be runnning the daytona 500 or anything like that, in any event the SS brake lines will significantly reduce hose swelling which will give you a much more precise brake and more reliable.

Autotechnica
07-25-2003, 06:45 PM
It's just that I read an article on unofficialbmw's website and someone stated that the SS brake lines were more likely to fail for street use because of the dirt getting into the braids over the stock ones. This is the only reason I've hesistated and haven't installed them yet. I see a lot of track junkies install them on their BMW's. But most of those cars are stored over winter and rarely driven even in the rain. Normally, I wouldn't bother with such a thing. But I hate how mushy the BMW brakes feel. I've heard this is a huge improvement. And the whole 6 peice SS kit goes for around $200. I recommend the BMP (Earl's) SS brake lines for anyone who is looking to get some. They are known to be the best available. Anyone have problems with SS brake lines before?

Bry

moregothanshow
07-25-2003, 08:25 PM
turnermotorsports sells them for like 99usd, with like 10usd shipping?!?!....

Autotechnica
07-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
turnermotorsports sells them for like 99usd, with like 10usd shipping?!?!....

Yeah, that's about $200Cdn after shipping, customs, exhange rate.

Bry

mpower1226
07-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Brian why didnt you get the one that is coated. How much do you have to pay more for the coated one. well if you are worrying about the failing then just get the ones are coated like stock,.

Furious
07-25-2003, 09:43 PM
bryan is there something you can get to keep the dirt out? something that can handle the cold and heat and stay flexable, (i mean you did spend the money) i can check at work and see if i have anything that will work.

mpower1226- did i spot you at Eglinton square a few days back? parked at the food court enterance

thinair
07-26-2003, 07:20 PM
go to radio shack and pickup some heatshrink tubing, it'll protect the braids, I use it on the SS lines on my bike in certain spots to keep the SS braids from wearing the paint off my bike.

moregothanshow
07-26-2003, 07:21 PM
now thats fuking brilliant! hahahaha

mpower1226
07-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Furious325is
bryan is there something you can get to keep the dirt out? something that can handle the cold and heat and stay flexable, (i mean you did spend the money) i can check at work and see if i have anything that will work.

mpower1226- did i spot you at Eglinton square a few days back? parked at the food court enterance

No It wasnt me. I didnt go near eglinton square past few weeks

MiniMan7
07-28-2003, 07:39 PM
They're great. I won them in a draw believe it or not, and had them installed alittle while ago. The brake pedal feels a million times more responsive. Less work to push the pedal, and an overall great feel.

-Adam

Autotechnica
07-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info/opinions guys. I think I'm going to return mine to BMP and reorder them with the teflon coating.

Bry